Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:00 PM

147 posts, read 211,917 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are any long-term iPhone users who have switched to an Android phone and is happy with their switch? I'd love to know which phone and what your reason are one way or the other. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:16 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I've done that switch a couple of times.

3GS to Droid Incredible. Android had some serious rough spots back then.

4 to Motorola RAZR HD Maxx. Appallingly bad. Glitchy, laggy, crap. I went back to an iPhone (after taking a detour through Windows) because the shockingly bad performance and terrible app quality were just too much.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
FWIW, the type of switch you're asking for probably implies that someone's personal economic fortunes took a downturn.

Map the iPhone Users In Any City, And You Know Where the Rich Live - CityLab

In general, as people get wealthier, they're more likely to use the iOS platform. (Note the italics at the beginning of the previous sentence before trying to refute it with "I tried iPhone and hated it, so I switched back to my beloved Android platform" stories.)

Old 07-14-2014, 11:52 AM

147 posts, read 211,917 times
LOL Bo, actually I've had an iPhone since the 3 but with my new job, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the iPhone 5. There are some nice features on the Android devices so I am weighing my options. Though I'm guessing, I'll make the switch to the 6 in a few months.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:24 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakelandFLNative View Post
Just curious if there are any long-term iPhone users who have switched to an Android phone and is happy with their switch? I'd love to know which phone and what your reason are one way or the other. Thanks!
I don't know if this will be useful, but I am the opposite: a long-term Android phone user (around four years) who switched (last Android phone was a Samsung Galaxy 3) to an iPhone 5s.

I have mixed feelings about it; I miss some things about the Galaxy (the large screen, ease of connection by USB, flexibility, certain apps, the "back" button...) but I find the iPhone has better overall available apps, fewer glitches, and is a little "slicker" overall.

Really I think it comes down to how you use your phone- all these arguments about which OS is "better" are for argumentative people with too much free time. I create and play music and the iPhone is much more suited to this kind of use, so for me it was worth the cost of a new phone and the learning curve involved.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Really I think it comes down to how you use your phone- all these arguments about which OS is "better" are for argumentative people with too much free time. I create and play music and the iPhone is much more suited to this kind of use, so for me it was worth the cost of a new phone and the learning curve involved.
That's pretty much it. I use the iPhone, I'm happy with it, my fiance uses an Android, she's happy with it. Both of us are getting toward the end of our contracts, but waiting to see what Apple comes up with in August/September

Both of us use Macs at home. I'm more tied into the apple ecosystem than she is (itunes match is pretty awesome for $25 a year - ALL my music is accessible by the cloud, anywhere where I have connection.
Since I'm on sprint i don't worry about data usage.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
I couldn't imagine doing so. I've had a few Android phones before I got my iPhone. I couldn't imagine going back. The iPhone is just so much better.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I couldn't imagine doing so. I've had a few Android phones before I got my iPhone. I couldn't imagine going back. The iPhone is just so much better.
I'm going to guess you had a low end android, like most people who have had bad experiences with android.

"Damnit, why won't this 20 dollar android phone compete with my iphone?? android sucks"

Old 07-16-2014, 02:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I'm going to guess you had a low end android, like most people who have had bad experiences with android.

"Damnit, why won't this 20 dollar android phone compete with my iphone?? android sucks"
I had a T-Mobile prepay. I also had a Droid 3. At the time it was top of the line. I just didn't like the UI, or finding apps for it.

The iPhone just works. It's just so much better. But when it comes to computers...I am a Windows/PC guy. I want a machine I can work on and take apart. I guess I just don't care to have that in my phone, though.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post

Sigh.

What about me? My RAZR HD Maxx was going for $300 with a contract when I got it (I paid less by buying through Amazon).

The performance was miserable. The app quality was sub par. And the battery life was nothing to write home about (which was the entire point of the Maxx, mind you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones