Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times

Advertisements

I switched from an iPhone to an Android Samsung Note just to get the bigger screen. I like that, but then one day I bought another new iPhone, so now I have both, along with a big phone bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Sigh.

What about me? My RAZR HD Maxx was going for $300 with a contract when I got it (I paid less by buying through Amazon).

The performance was miserable. The app quality was sub par. And the battery life was nothing to write home about (which was the entire point of the Maxx, mind you).
Motorola didn't have great luck with their UI till after jellybean, I never used it so I don't know how bad performance really was but it's a stigma Moto has had to work on.

App quality? From who? There are tons of apps on each store that are good, and tons that are s***. That's not the phone or store's fault.

If you had battery issues with a 3xxx mAh battery, I don't know what you were doing. My note 2 has a 3100 mAh battery and even after over a year of abuse, it still gives me at least a day and a half.

This is the real issue: Carrier specific and manufacturer specific bloatware and interfaces are what give android a bad name. Get an AOSP rom or a nexus device to compare, not these 2011-2012 phones with terrible UIs (Sense, touchwiz, blur, etc all sucked back then and while they're all doing a bit better now, stock android is butter).

Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Motorola didn't have great luck with their UI till after jellybean, I never used it so I don't know how bad performance really was but it's a stigma Moto has had to work on.

App quality? From who? There are tons of apps on each store that are good, and tons that are s***. That's not the phone or store's fault.

If you had battery issues with a 3xxx mAh battery, I don't know what you were doing. My note 2 has a 3100 mAh battery and even after over a year of abuse, it still gives me at least a day and a half.

This is the real issue: Carrier specific and manufacturer specific bloatware and interfaces are what give android a bad name. Get an AOSP rom or a nexus device to compare, not these 2011-2012 phones with terrible UIs (Sense, touchwiz, blur, etc all sucked back then and while they're all doing a bit better now, stock android is butter).
The Razr HD shipped with Jelly Bean. It still sucked.

App quality...let's see. Chase, Facebook, Play Music (straight from Google), Swiftkey, Swype, Angry Birds (not strictly its fault but would routinely drop to 2-3 fps), Words with Friends. All crap. Terrible performance. Disastrous UIs. Lag, glitches, and generally just not working very well.

The battery issue stems largely from the poor power management. Apps would routinely spiral out of control and drain the battery. Walk into a room with poor reception and the phone would turn into a small space heater and kill itself.

Blur had mostly been reduced to stock android by the time the HD came out.

Blaming the OEMs and carrier bloat has some merit, but there's a reason Google has drawn so much attention to things like Project Butter and now dumping Dalvik. The performance sucks and they know it, so they're working hard to fix it on their end and doing what they can to control the OEMs and keep them from junking it up.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
I'd rather read all the Samsung Galaxy 5 reviews at Best Buy, from FORMER iPhone users who switched and totally love their Android phones!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
The Razr HD shipped with Jelly Bean. It still sucked.
Right, I said after.

Quote:
App quality...let's see. Chase, Facebook, Play Music (straight from Google), Swiftkey, Swype, Angry Birds (not strictly its fault but would routinely drop to 2-3 fps), Words with Friends. All crap. Terrible performance. Disastrous UIs. Lag, glitches, and generally just not working very well.
I use almost all of those without issue, though I agree that some of them have significantly better UIs on iPhone than android (looking at you, Chase) but that goes both ways, depending on the app and the dev behind it.

Quote:
The battery issue stems largely from the poor power management. Apps would routinely spiral out of control and drain the battery. Walk into a room with poor reception and the phone would turn into a small space heater and kill itself.
I've never seen this problem, I can't really comment.

Quote:
Blaming the OEMs and carrier bloat has some merit, but there's a reason Google has drawn so much attention to things like Project Butter and now dumping Dalvik. The performance sucks and they know it, so they're working hard to fix it on their end and doing what they can to control the OEMs and keep them from junking it up.
The whole dalvik lag BS is blown out of proportion. ART is faster, so they should switch, but it doesn't mean that dalvik is the worst thing on the planet.

The main point I'm trying to make is don't base your distaste for android on outdated information. It's fine to not like something and it's great that we have diversity and the ability to choose what we want to buy and use, but it's kind of like my dad.... he's a die-hard chevy fan because back in his day they were the de-facto. He owns a 68 c10. It's a wonderful truck. That doesn't make the new ones any better than the dog s*** on the bottom of my shoe

Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:

The main point I'm trying to make is don't base your distaste for android on outdated information. It's fine to not like something and it's great that we have diversity and the ability to choose what we want to buy and use, but it's kind of like my dad.... he's a die-hard chevy fan because back in his day they were the de-facto. He owns a 68 c10. It's a wonderful truck. That doesn't make the new ones any better than the dog s*** on the bottom of my shoe
Amazing to me that some folk treat which OS to use like a religion. Hey, get over it. If you are happy with android then walk away with a smile. Don't get your panties all bunched up. Unless you are an insecure fellow/gal and need to justify your choice of which OS is more popular. We are not talking about one's eternal destiny. Which BTW, is far more relevant than your brand of phone choice.

Gads! Post in the religion forum.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Amazing to me that some folk treat which OS to use like a religion. Hey, get over it. If you are happy with android then walk away with a smile. Don't get your panties all bunched up. Unless you are an insecure fellow/gal and need to justify your choice of which OS is more popular. We are not talking about one's eternal destiny. Which BTW, is far more relevant than your brand of phone choice.

Gads! Post in the religion forum.
What?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:51 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
See the trouble is that's always the response.

Oh don't base your views on 1.x, now there's 2.x! Oh no, don't base your views on 2.x, now there's 4.x! Oh no, don't base your views on 4.1, now there's 4.2! Oh no, don't base your views on 4.2, now there's 4.3. Oh Jelly Bean? Yeah that sucked but now there's Kit Kat.

It's the same story over and over. Blame that version, blame this OEM. But what does it mean when you end up blaming every version and every OEM? Oh right, it means there are underlying problems that need to be addressed, and which Google acknowledges.

As for the app quality, it doesn't help that Android's developer tools are beyond awful (another thing Google is working on). Lay out a UI in Xcode, then try to do the same thing in Eclipse with the Android tools installed. One of them will be easy and work exactly like one would expect. The other will be a giant pain and require a lot of extra hassle to get it to work properly. That ends up getting reflected in the final product that companies put out.
Quote:
Right, I said after.
So is it your contention that the default UI sucked and was a laggy mess in Jelly Bean? Because that's essentially what Motorola was using with only a couple of very minor tweaks and the addition of a nice settings screen. It wasn't the old Motoblur pile of suck.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
See the trouble is that's always the response.

Oh don't base your views on 1.x, now there's 2.x! Oh no, don't base your views on 2.x, now there's 4.x! Oh no, don't base your views on 4.1, now there's 4.2! Oh no, don't base your views on 4.2, now there's 4.3. Oh Jelly Bean? Yeah that sucked but now there's Kit Kat.

It's the same story over and over. Blame that version, blame this OEM. But what does it mean when you end up blaming every version and every OEM? Oh right, it means there are underlying problems that need to be addressed, and which Google acknowledges.
I wasn't blaming anything, I'm just saying that there are significant differences between versions. Of course the experience is going to be different between releases. For example, on 4.3 my Focus would not show metadata from pandora on MyFordTouch. In 4.1 and 4.4, it does. Something to do with how 4.3 handled bluetooth MAP.

In this example, if I were someone less interested in ROMs and updates I would have thrown android out the window if I had not experienced 4.1 or 4.4 because it didn't work for me on the version I was on because clearly android doesn't work with my car. It does in the next revision, but I wouldn't have known that. So a year down the road, when 4.4 is out and working like a champ, someone asks me what I think of android and I say "yeah it's crap, won't even work with my car!" even though it's now false information.

Just like any tech industry, stuff moves quickly, of course you should be interested in each release, there can be monumental differences that change facts that lead to changed opinions.

Quote:
As for the app quality, it doesn't help that Android's developer tools are beyond awful (another thing Google is working on). Lay out a UI in Xcode, then try to do the same thing in Eclipse with the Android tools installed. One of them will be easy and work exactly like one would expect. The other will be a giant pain and require a lot of extra hassle to get it to work properly. That ends up getting reflected in the final product that companies put out.
I have never used apple's dev tools, I cannot compare in that regard.

Quote:
So is it your contention that the default UI sucked and was a laggy mess in Jelly Bean? Because that's essentially what Motorola was using with only a couple of very minor tweaks and the addition of a nice settings screen. It wasn't the old Motoblur pile of suck.
I didn't own one, and haven't ever used one. From what I read about how the old motoblur was, it wasn't worth using until around 2012.

I'm still confused by the religion comment earlier in the thread by someone else, that still doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:01 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,925 times
My wife had Iphone4 then the 5, She went to the Razr HD last year. She prefers the Iphone apps and ease of use, but really likes the adjustable font size, customization, and large screen on the Razr. If the Iphone 6 has a larger screen as rumored, she'd like to get it when it is available this fall.

Apps run very well on the Razr, shes had a few issues but nothing major. Angry Birds has zero issues. Words with Frieinds had some issues but it was resolved with an update, so not the phones or Androids fault. The 3 year old Kindle Fire and my 5 year old Droid 2 can both run Angry Birds without any problem - and both are way behind the Razr in technical specs, if this app is causing problems on a Razr you probably have a bad phone.

The Razr does lag at times, but whenever its doing this I find that my wife has lots of apps open at once and the phone is warm so I know its been in use for a long time. I clear everything out, restart it, and it works just fine. But - both of her Iphones would occasionally do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones