Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:28 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Here's my experience and why I ask:

I just got an iPhone for the first time yesterday. The iPhone 5c to be specific. Ever since I had a smartphone, I had an Android based device. The most recent was the Samsung Galaxy S II. A bit old to today's standards, I know, but I've had it for almost two years and liked it. Probably would have kept it a little longer if it wasn't having problems. Time to upgrade and iPhone was having a sale. The Galaxy S 5 was too and I was debating, but I decided to jump on the iPhone bandwagon for a variety of reasons such as starting a new job where everyone had an iPhone, some family members had it including one who lived long distance and can do facetime, was tired of having problems with Androids I've had including battery problems, and for sheer curiousness to see if it was as great as everyone claims it is.

So far though, I am not impressed.
I spotted your problem. I bet you got it free too with a 2 year contract. That's basically 2012's iPhone 5 in a new case.

I've got a 128 GB 6+... and it blows the doors off the 5c.

If you wanted a Galaxy 5 quality experience you should have went with an iPhone 6. I don't knock either... both Android and iOS have their advantages and disadvantages. I went from an S3 to a 5s last year... my first iPhone. Loved it... and upgraded to the 6+ a few months ago.

Couldn't be happier... and I love how all my devices (iPad Air 2, Apple TV, MacBook Air) sync with my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 02:15 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I spotted your problem. I bet you got it free too with a 2 year contract. That's basically 2012's iPhone 5 in a new case.
Which was still a flagship when it was released. My wife still has the "lowly 5" that becamse the 5C and it still works perfectly for her.
So... you spent $500 on a phone? And you're going to give someone that got a former flagship for fvree a problem? Really?
And honestly, my friend, your expensive little 6 doesn't run all that much better then that "crappy" little 5.

Quote:
I've got a 128 GB 6+... and it blows the doors off the 5c.
Blows the doors off? It's a marginal upgrade. Ohhhh... it has 128 GB... which means nothing about how it runs. Ohhh, it has Apple Pay. Ohhhh... it has a marginally better camera. Ohhhh... it's Bigger Then Bigger...
Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify that $500 purchase, my friend.

You're almost as bad as Zeppelin in the other camp.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:22 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
3D gaming performance?!? I thought it was a phone?

Old 12-06-2014, 03:54 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
I avoid Apple, just don't like em. So I have Android. Samsung something or other, IPone is smaller, which I think is better. I like my Samsung, only wish it was smaller.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:45 PM

735 posts, read 655,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My god, Zeppelin, you are such an Android fan boy you are even annoying me: an Android Fan.

Who gives a flying rats butt about "3D gaming performance"? Ohhhh, but Android gets an extra 10 FPS!!!!
*yawn*
Give it a rest, bro.
You would like it here
https://www.reddit.com/r/androidcirclejerk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I avoid Apple, just don't like em. So I have Android. Samsung something or other, IPone is smaller, which I think is better. I like my Samsung, only wish it was smaller.
Yeah, it would be nice to have some more options on the smaller scale of things... But Android has improved vastly over the years in this regard. Just look at the Xperia Z3 Compact.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Apparently you forgot the part of my post where I legitimately argued against your points? Someone needs to brush up on their reading comprehension skills
Argued against a point? All you said was "You're lying, my Android does more and the iPhone is expensive". Sounds like you're the one who's inexperienced in the Android platform since you can't even express what it does so much more of nor how it can perform better the tasks I outlined in my original post about why some people might prefer iOS. It's ok though, I suppose that's too tall of an order to ask of you. Sounds like the real "sheep" is the one who doesn't know why he likes what he likes.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Do you think society has been duped to think the iPhone is the best?
The society? Really?
I work in a huge company, and after I read your post, I observed that only about one in four have iPhone. I don't have it either ...

BTW: It appears that Android has a slight edge. 28% of all U.S. cell phone owners have an Android device, while 25% own an Apple iPhone, according to study conducted by Pew.
Smartphone Ownership 2013 | Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project

Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Why worry about what someone else favors? Its a dang cell phone; get real.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 PM

735 posts, read 655,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Argued against a point? All you said was "You're lying, my Android does more and the iPhone is expensive". Sounds like you're the one who's inexperienced in the Android platform since you can't even express what it does so much more of nor how it can perform better the tasks I outlined in my original post about why some people might prefer iOS. It's ok though, I suppose that's too tall of an order to ask of you. Sounds like the real "sheep" is the one who doesn't know why he likes what he likes.
Do you really expect me to spend the time writing a post about how your essay was wrong in any way? No way, I'll save my time for someone with a decent argument.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Actually ARM architecture put Android performance well above iOS. They've switched away from JIT to pre-compiling. The quality of the popular apps are the same more or less with the exception of the Google Apps being much better on Android (maps, gmail, etc.). Swift is still fairly new... it's not like Apple had good dev tools for iOS for long. Android's new dev tools, while in beta, are based on Intellij... so that speaks for itself.
I'm pretty sure you meant ART and not ARM. iOS runs on ARM as well. It's ART runtime that really propelled Android above iOS in terms of performance. But this is always a one-up game. This round just happened to have gone to Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones