Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 12:28 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
OP here again. Thanks to all that responded. It looks like it'll be a toss up between iPhone Pro and the Samsung S21.

Question about both phones--I put a micro sandisk in my phone for more storage--can it be installed in either of these phones?
Nope. Apple phones never supported SD, Samsung I think went away from that with the S9 or some such?

Memory is cheap. Sort of. I have a 256GB 12 Pro and I'm using 64.2 of it. I probably could have gotten away with a 128GB one but I prefer to be future proof. Even when I had my Galaxy S8 with a card in it...I never took the card out anyway. Only thing I stored on it was pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:19 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
OP here again. Thanks to all that responded. It looks like it'll be a toss up between iPhone Pro and the Samsung S21.

Question about both phones--I put a micro sandisk in my phone for more storage--can it be installed in either of these phones?

Nope. As others have pointed out, Apple has never had that capability and, at the S21 level, neither does Samsung.

Perhaps I'm too picky, but with either I'd get the factory unlocked version. Just fewer potential headaches down the line.

Re retailers other than the manufacturers themselves, I checked Best Buy, B & H Photo, and Walmart.

Apple doesn't sell the factory unlocked Version of the 12 series with any of the three.

Walmart.com (with Walmart as the vendor) doesn't sell the factory unlocked version of the S21, but Best Buy and B & H do.

Of course Samsung.com and Apple.com sell the manufacturers factory unlocked versions.

Depending on which state you live in, you may be able to shop at an Apple store with an appointment, or if not that yet, you might be able to order online and pick up your order at an Apple store. At the very least, you could order from Apple and have it shipped to your house.

I haven't looked into how the S21 can interact with other devices, but one thing I like about iPhones is that with iOS 13 and after, for like of a better way to put it (stating how it feels, not the technical aspects) the 'file system has been opened up'. You can plug in a hub, and many of the devices plugged into the hub will be recognized on the iPhone (and same if you have an iPad you can hook the hub up to).

I also like the Apple branded adapters. I have two, the Lightning to HDMI adapter, and the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

I just used the Lightning to HDMI adapter within the last 24 hours to watch an earlier this season episode of Law and Order SVU on Hulu (received via Wi-Fi) with my iPhone piping the signal and the sound to a 50" flat screen via an HDMI cable.

The Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter has a lightening power input, and a USB-A 3.0 input.

You can plug an itsy bitsy San Disk USB Ultra Fit drive (about the size of a wireless mouse receiver...and available up to 512GB for $60 on Amazon) into the USB-A 3.0 port on the Apple Camera Adapter, and use the adapter+drive to offload content off the iPhone to create more room for future pictures and videos....or you can plug a hub into that port as I described above (the small, thin hub I have has three USB-A ports, (out of 9 total)....so you could have an Ultra Fit in each port for 1.5 TB+ of storage, taking up less space than a portable 1-2 TB portable hard drive)

Also to note....there are three models in the Samsung S21 series....the S21, the S21+, and the S21 Ultra.

And re the iPhone 12 Pro...there's the iPhone 12 Pro, and the iPhone 12 Pro Max

Old 03-04-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Nope. Apple phones never supported SD, Samsung I think went away from that with the S9 or some such?

Memory is cheap. Sort of. I have a 256GB 12 Pro and I'm using 64.2 of it. I probably could have gotten away with a 128GB one but I prefer to be future proof. Even when I had my Galaxy S8 with a card in it...I never took the card out anyway. Only thing I stored on it was pictures.

I was always getting close to filling the 128GB card (max for that phone) on the Android I used prior to my iPhone and, as you do, I currently find the 256GB on my iPhone to be enough (and same on my iPad re photos and videos).

Old 03-05-2021, 07:09 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Totally OT now but just curious what was filling up your 128GB RMESMH? 128 has been serving me that past 3 phones very well.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:56 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Perhaps I'm too picky, but with either I'd get the factory unlocked version. Just fewer potential headaches down the line.

Re retailers other than the manufacturers themselves, I checked Best Buy, B & H Photo, and Walmart.

Apple doesn't sell the factory unlocked Version of the 12 series with any of the three.

Walmart.com (with Walmart as the vendor) doesn't sell the factory unlocked version of the S21, but Best Buy and B & H do.

Of course Samsung.com and Apple.com sell the manufacturers factory unlocked versions.
This. Always buy it unlocked. In my case, I have no choice - I use dual SIM, so I have to buy an unlocked one. That said - Apple does indeed sell the SIM free versions on their website, you just don't get the discounts you would buying a "carrier" version.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:31 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $$$$ phone to play a game and snap some photos and cruise FB.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
This. Always buy it unlocked. In my case, I have no choice - I use dual SIM, so I have to buy an unlocked one. That said - Apple does indeed sell the SIM free versions on their website, you just don't get the discounts you would buying a "carrier" version.
I imagine the bolded was inspired by the third sentence in the passage of mine that you quoted, which I worded poorly.

What I meant was was that Apple doesn’t sell any of the 13 series unlocked to any of the three (Best Buy, B & H, and Walmart) for those outlets to sell to the public, not that Apple doesn’t sell the 12 series unlocked on their own website.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Totally OT now but just curious what was filling up your 128GB RMESMH? 128 has been serving me that past 3 phones very well.
Videos.

Some health related ones not available on the internet, some inspirational ones that I created from clips, and postseason baseball highlights (Astros CS and WS, and Giants CS and WS). Also Videos shot while traveling, which I would offload to a hard drive as the card would fill up.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:54 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,564,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Astros CS and WS
delete those didn't they cheat ?

Old 03-05-2021, 12:49 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $$$$ phone to play a game and snap some photos and cruise FB.
Do you understand: I WANT TO KEEP A PHONE FOR 6 YEARS THAT RUNS AS WELL IN 6 YEARS AS IT DID ON DAY 1?
Because you need to spend good money if that's what you want.
Did you also miss when OP said: "I live alone. I have no social life. But between the games and social media I'm on my phone A LOT."

If someone is on their phone ALOT and keeps them for 5 YEARS MINIMUM they would be well served with buying a flagship and not a near disposable phone like a Samsung J series, or a cheap Motorola.

Not to even mention, maybe OP makes more money then you do? "OMG I can't believe someone spends $1,000 on a phone" is a pet peeve of mine. Maybe I make 5 times what you do?
So $1,000 to me is like $200 to you. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones