Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Engadget's reporting a rumor that Verizion's rushing to plump up 4G networks in major markets (read: NYC, LA, Chicago, and other big cities) in order to satisfy apple into releasing two apple products, the first an iPhone designed for the Verizion network, and the second being a tablet netbook (which gizmodo is speculating would take the macbook name, which has largely been abandoned by apple for the macbook pro)

AT&T depends heavily on the iPhone so everyone knows that they're fighting hard to keep iPhone exclusivity, however it appears that Apple is none to pleased with AT&T's network, including visible black eyes the company received with delays of features like push notification on the 3GS. Still of ATT's 1.3 million new subscribers, 800,000 of them signed with a new iPhone, so AT&T depends on Apple, not the other way around.
There are no phones produced by anyone that support 4G yet. There won't be for the next year, at least.

Verizon isn't pushing 4G now, they've had it operational for a while. Until you see the phones coming out with 4G as a normal thing, there won't be a major roll out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
I hope apple releases it on Verizon if only to free up some of the burden on AT&T's network.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,398 times
seems like Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't expand - they'd make a lot more money by letting other carriers have the iphone also.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
The existing iPhones won't work on Verizon's network because they can't use CDMA. They will work on T-Mobile and AT&T, period.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
The existing iPhones won't work on Verizon's network because they can't use CDMA. They will work on T-Mobile and AT&T, period.
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that existing iPhones will work on Verizon's network. This discussion is centered around the probability of new iPhone that would be developed for Verizon's network.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that existing iPhones will work on Verizon's network. This discussion is centered around the probability of new iPhone that would be developed for Verizon's network.
But I think they are suggesting that:

"I hope apple releases it on Verizon if only to free up some of the burden on AT&T's network."

I took this to mean the poster thought iphone users currently on AT&T would migrate to Verizon, thereby freeing up some of the network capacity.

And this:

"they'd make a lot more money by letting other carriers have the iphone also"

won't work unless Apple makes a new version of the iPhone for the CDMA networks (which it could certainly do, I suppose) - but again, I took that to mean the poster thought Apple could sell the phones it is currently making on other networks if it wanted to.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
But I think they are suggesting that:

"I hope apple releases it on Verizon if only to free up some of the burden on AT&T's network."

I took this to mean the poster thought iphone users currently on AT&T would migrate to Verizon, thereby freeing up some of the network capacity.
That's exactly what it meant. However, I didn't see anything in the post implying that current iPhones would operate on Verizon's network.

Quote:
And this:

"they'd make a lot more money by letting other carriers have the iphone also"

won't work unless Apple makes a new version of the iPhone for the CDMA networks (which it could certainly do, I suppose) - but again, I took that to mean the poster thought Apple could sell the phones it is currently making on other networks if it wanted to.
Same deal here. I don't see any inference abut the current iPhone working on a CDMA network. People are simply discussing the potential merits of Apple offering an iPhone for other networks.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM

For what it's worth, I've been part of this discussion since the beginning, and there have been some posters who didn't understand that the iphones currently in production won't work on Verizon's network.

As for exactly what these last posters meant, we can disagree, but it doesn't make much sense to me to think that a significant number of existing iphone users would pay for a new iphone just to switch networks.

Obviously there are Verizon customers who would be happy to buy an iphone if they could, but that doesn't have anything to do with freeing up AT&T's network capacity.

Anyway, it's not a big deal.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
it doesn't make much sense to me to think that a significant number of existing iphone users would pay for a new iphone just to switch networks.
I understand your point and I am merely speculating. However, a lot of people claim that they would happily jump ship and switch from AT&T to Verizon if the iPhone was available on Verizon's network. Whether they would actually put their money where their mouths are is tough to say.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I understand your point and I am merely speculating. However, a lot of people claim that they would happily jump ship and switch from AT&T to Verizon if the iPhone was available on Verizon's network. Whether they would actually put their money where their mouths are is tough to say.
Right - I realize some would buy a second phone, but I wonder how many of the "I'll jump ship in a heartbeat if this comes to Verizon" crowd (and I've heard and read plenty of people say that too) realize that means they not only pay an early termination fee to AT&T, they buy a new phone and (inevitably) have to sign on for a new two-year contract with Verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones