Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 16,628 times

Advertisements

My company is relocating from the DC area down to Charleston in September and I will likely be coming along. I've already taken one brief trip down to the area and have been perusing this forum (lots of good info!).

Just have a few all-over-the-place questions about the area (I'm sure some answers are contained somewhere here, but maybe I didn't dig deep enough):

I've just moving myself (single guy, mid 20's) and will be working Downtown along King Street. I've been focusing my apartment search so far in the West Ashley area. I'm Jewish and keep kosher, so I like the close proximity to the conservative synagogue. Also I hear the greatest access to kosher food in the stores is in West Ashley. If I were to live in that area near 526, how long is the commute to and from downtown during the rush hours? Would this be a solid area to live for a young professional?

On a completely different note, I see that SC has a car tax, like I have in Virginia. Is there defined rate for this? My google searches seem to yield outdated information. Also, in a similar vain, is it correct that within Charleston, the sales tax is 8.5%, outside of groceries?

Lastly, in Virginia, Comcast has been at times the bane of my existence, but I see that is the dominant provider here as well as Knology. I've read that AT&T Uverse has made some headway in the Charleston area. Is there a defined area that has it, or is it rather random?

Appreciate the help. Being originally from New Jersey (with parents from Brooklyn), I'm sure there will be an adjustment period, but the area seemed great from my short visit earlier this month. If anyone has any apartment/condo recommendations, please share!

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg12x View Post
My company is relocating from the DC area down to Charleston in September and I will likely be coming along. I've already taken one brief trip down to the area and have been perusing this forum (lots of good info!). Great, you have the first step that we recommend to everyone already taken care of, have a job lined up before you move...

Just have a few all-over-the-place questions about the area (I'm sure some answers are contained somewhere here, but maybe I didn't dig deep enough):

I've just moving myself (single guy, mid 20's) and will be working Downtown along King Street. I've been focusing my apartment search so far in the West Ashley area. I'm Jewish and keep kosher, so I like the close proximity to the conservative synagogue. Also I hear the greatest access to kosher food in the stores is in West Ashley. If I were to live in that area near 526, how long is the commute to and from downtown during the rush hours? Would this be a solid area to live for a young professional? Short commute, less than 30 minutes depending on which area you are in. There is a fairly large Jewish community down here so you shouldn't have a problem fitting in.

On a completely different note, I see that SC has a car tax, like I have in Virginia. Is there defined rate for this? My google searches seem to yield outdated information. Also, in a similar vain, is it correct that within Charleston, the sales tax is 8.5%, outside of groceries? Car taxes here are based on age and mileage, the older the vehicle the lower the taxes.

Lastly, in Virginia, Comcast has been at times the bane of my existence, but I see that is the dominant provider here as well as Knology. I've read that AT&T Uverse has made some headway in the Charleston area. Is there a defined area that has it, or is it rather random? Can't help here, we use Time Warner for cable and internet in Summerville.

Appreciate the help. Being originally from New Jersey (with parents from Brooklyn), I'm sure there will be an adjustment period, but the area seemed great from my short visit earlier this month. If anyone has any apartment/condo recommendations, please share! What Exit......

Thanks again.
From a fellow NJ Transplant, 20 years now, Read above:

Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
From a fellow NJ Transplant, 20 years now, Read above:
Thanks for the help.
To answer your question...Exit 105, north end of the shore.

What brought you down to SC years ago?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Uncle Sam.......

Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,306 times
As your parents.. I am from Brooklyn, went to Joisey for a bit, back to Crooklyn... oops Brooklyn and moved down very recently to Charleston and Jewish as well. Many Jewish families I have heard... because we have been too busy to socialize and I do not narrow down whom I socialize with... but will meet some of them eventually. We are in MP so in touch with Chabad with Rabbi Yossi.. real nice guy and wife and children
Charleston itself has Conservative (me), Reform and Orthodox congreagtions. Oldest reform shul is in Charleston, Jews started here back in the 1700's and it continues.

I have read/researched as the comments pointed out, West Ashley has the larger Jewish population in the area and more kosher stores, items I have heard. We wanted Mt Pleasant and very happy here. Each day we feel more and more glad we choose Mt Pleasant. But you being single, perhaps downtown and its areas might be better... might, I dunno

Here is my own posting, read it over, might answer some questions.

Enjoy

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ing-south.html

Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Michael...thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you're happy with your move.

I'll be taking another trip down to the area in mid-July. Hoping to narrow down a list of places to live, probably focusing in on West Ashley (seems like a relatively big area...with some good and some bad sections... apartmentratings.com will probably be my guide). I'm also taking a look at James Island. Downtown will likely wind up a bit too pricey for me at this time.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'd phone the manufacturing plant and ask -- they may tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area