Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM

22 posts, read 31,518 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I (we are in our mid 20s) and our 2 & 1/2 year old daughter (we also have 2 dogs and a cat) are planning to move to Charleston from Kansas City MO as soon as possible. We are sick of being land locked and love the ocean and beaches. We are also very into civil war history so we are set on Charleston!
We currently trying to get a game plan together (and moving money ) and obviously find jobs and a place to live. We have never made this big of a move before and need any and all advice possible. He has experience in general labor positions (construction, cemetery maintenance, package handling and is currently at a steel tube mill) and have done some office work but currently work in an auto parts department (have also been a dealers assistant at Ford) which I love and would like to continue in this industry.
as far as where to live, I would love to be in Mount Pleasant and need to know if there are any affordable duplexes or townhouses in that area. We will also be needing an affordable daycare provider, preferably someone that does in-home daycare with 4 or 5 children.
On the fun side of things, what are some fun family activities in that area?
Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
You might want to read through this thread for some places in Mount Pleasant to live:

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...s-mom-son.html

I can't help you with daycare because I don't have any kids. Maybe someone else will have some input.

There is a lot to do around here. The beach, festivals, the aquarium, you can take a ride to Columbia to go to the zoo, the Mount Pleasant waterfront park has a great playground, touristy things like carriage rides, city tours, plantations, and a lot more. There seems to be a lot of kid festivals and kids things at the other festivals.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
If you do searches on this forum ("Search This Thread" at the top right of your screen....) for the topics you are interested in, you can find a wealth of information...............

Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 PM

I forgot about the waterpark at the Palmetto Island County Park! I assume there is little kid area. We have peeked through the gate, but haven't gone in. I figured it would be mostly kids and we would feel out of place. There is also a great playground at Palmetto Island County Park. There is this squishy stuff that is on the ground, so if the kids fall, they won't get hurt as bad.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys! This is all great info. Not to goof with anyone, but I have been doing nothing but research on the area the past few hours. Could you guys also give me opinions on pros and cons to all Charleston areas that are affordable and reasonably close to the beach? Obviously not North Charleston. :P ALSO! Ive been searching the web for affordable deep sea fishing down there and cannot find any. On our honeymoon, (went to Clearwater Beach FL) we went on a deep sea fishing charter for $30 a person and loved it. Why can I not find something like that here? They're all $400ish and up. And this is something we'd like to do regularly and not just at the pier, love being on a boat. Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 PM

And that link to the girls page with all the listings is a huge help! Thank you!
And naive silly question, we are very social people, what are good ways to meet new people (friends) there? We both metal-heads and im very into racing. lol sorry for the bombarding of questions! Im just so excited!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2004 View Post
Thanks guys! This is all great info. Not to goof with anyone, but I have been doing nothing but research on the area the past few hours. Could you guys also give me opinions on pros and cons to all Charleston areas that are affordable and reasonably close to the beach? Obviously not North Charleston. :P ALSO! Ive been searching the web for affordable deep sea fishing down there and cannot find any. On our honeymoon, (went to Clearwater Beach FL) we went on a deep sea fishing charter for $30 a person and loved it. Why can I not find something like that here? They're all $400ish and up. And this is something we'd like to do regularly and not just at the pier, love being on a boat. Thanks again everyone!
I'm assuming that the fishing boat you went on was what we called where I moved from, a party boat. It was right around $30 or so per person and there were a lot of people. Sometimes you would be fishing shoulder to shoulder. They don't do that in this area. They are all charters with smaller boats. I forget why they can't have the bigger boats that have a lot of people fishing on it, but I'm sure someone else here knows why. There are those types of boats up by Myrtle Beach, or just over the border in NC. You might want to keep an eye on groupon. I have seen some discounted chartered fishing boats on it.

Pros to the area: close to the beach, warm ocean water, close to downtown Charleston, lots of things to do on the weekend, seeing dolphins all the time, every restaurant and store you could ever want is close, the weather, people are nice, drivers are good (my opinion compared to the north), the roads are great - no potholes or frost heaves, and it is a more relaxed lifestyle.

Cons - dairy prices are high, palmetto bugs, August is extremely humid, both day and night. These are all the cons I can come up with. It took me some thinking to come up with the cons!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,329 times
Pros-No snow and ice like you experience in KC!!; Laid-back lifestyle
Cons-Traffic; Laid-back lifestyle. Don't get in a hurry in traffic, in line at the store, even waiting for a service/maintenance contractor.

Another plus-construction is starting to pick up again.

Have fun researching and planning! It took me almost 7 years to pull off our second home purchase. During that time I was able to study up on my adopted community and meet new friends. Enjoy the journey.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
If you husband works in a steel mill there is one here. There are also two aluminum foundries here too...

There is another page that that same lady made of apartments in West Ashley....

MtP is expensive by most standards, West Ashley is more affordable and not as far from the beaches as Summerville or Moncks Corner which are both cheaper...

Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM

528 posts, read 1,514,098 times
Default SC move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2004 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I (we are in our mid 20s) and our 2 & 1/2 year old daughter (we also have 2 dogs and a cat) are planning to move to Charleston from Kansas City MO as soon as possible. We are sick of being land locked and love the ocean and beaches. We are also very into civil war history so we are set on Charleston!
We currently trying to get a game plan together (and moving money ) and obviously find jobs and a place to live. We have never made this big of a move before and need any and all advice possible. He has experience in general labor positions (construction, cemetery maintenance, package handling and is currently at a steel tube mill) and have done some office work but currently work in an auto parts department (have also been a dealers assistant at Ford) which I love and would like to continue in this industry.
as far as where to live, I would love to be in Mount Pleasant and need to know if there are any affordable duplexes or townhouses in that area. We will also be needing an affordable daycare provider, preferably someone that does in-home daycare with 4 or 5 children.
On the fun side of things, what are some fun family activities in that area?
Thanks for all your help!
Affordable and Mt. Pleasant don't readily mix.
Summerville is a great family friendly community. It took 37 mins. for me to get to the front beach at the Isle of Palms today.
Foster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area