Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,190,229 times

Advertisements

Today, my family found a holiday card with a $5 gift card enclosed on our car at the Azalea Movie theater in Summerville. It was in memory of the lives lost in CT. We are actually going to use the gc for a coffee/drink treat and buy another gc to pass it forward (it feels more genuine to actually use the card rather than pass that specific gc card on). My children were especially touched by the gesture and recognized how special it was. We feel honored that our vehicle was chosen (maybe it was the decals on the back?....). In the off chance that the giver reads this....thank you and thank you for taking the time to think of those innocent lives taken. We will pass the kind gesture forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,059,842 times
That's really awesome . I've heard of people doing random acts of kindness in memory of the children but didn't know there were Charleston locals doing that. Thanks for sharing it here.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,981,447 times
The 27 victims deserve our remembrance.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,556,044 times
NBC's Anne Curry started the idea of 26 acts of kindness....

Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,981,447 times
And I find it sad the media is hammering into everyone that there were only 26 victims...there were 27.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 PM

870 posts, read 1,684,398 times
Great story. I think I will start my family on this tomorrow..thanks for sharing.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 PM

I consider the mom a victim, as well. Some would even say the killer was a victim because of his mental health issues but I can't find myself to have any sympathy for him. I know Anne Curry is getting the credit for starting the RAOK for the victims but I had friends say they were going to do RAOK in honor of the victims before A.C. mentioned it. I think it is a wonderful idea and I'm a huge supporter of RAOK everyday (even when there isn't a cause and no money is involved). I was so pleased to be on the receiving end and we'll use the gc to treat ourselves to coffee and hot chocolate (my kids are too young for coffee...).

I especially enjoyed the hand written greetings for a happy holiday and the reason why they did it. There were two names with ages written on the card, we'll add a third with the intention for the next person to write a fourth when they pass along a RAOK. I feel honored that we were on the receiving end and will be part of the chain of RAOK.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
And I find it sad the media is hammering into everyone that there were only 26 victims...there were 27.

I find it sad that it takes a tragedy to prompt others to do kind and thoughtful things.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I find it sad that it takes a tragedy to prompt others to do kind and thoughtful things.
Although I suspect that those making an effort to do RAOK in memory of the victims, are probably the type of people who do RAOK generally speaking. It just seems like there is a focus for the RAOK circulating right now on behalf of the victims.

I see so many kind gestures when I'm out in public. Sometimes I think I'm just a lucky girl but my friends say I also just might be the type of person that recognizes when people go out of their way in small ways.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
Although I suspect that those making an effort to do RAOK in memory of the victims, are probably the type of people who do RAOK generally speaking. It just seems like there is a focus for the RAOK circulating right now on behalf of the victims.

I see so many kind gestures when I'm out in public. Sometimes I think I'm just a lucky girl but my friends say I also just might be the type of person that recognizes when people go out of their way in small ways.
Oh yeah sure...because only a certain "group" does kind things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area