Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM

192 posts, read 409,300 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

While looking around Mt. Pleasant from my computer and during our recent visits, one of our needs is a good ballet school for our daughter. We checked out Charleston Ballet's facilities off Johnny Dodd - they were closed but I was able to look in the window...looks ok. Am I missing a little gem of a studio down that way? Anyone with experience in this area that can help...thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
We have an 8yo that has taken ballet for several years now. When we moved to Mt. P we started with Cambridge Dance Studio in the front of Park West. The school was decent, but the lady that ran the front desk was lacking in her interpersonal skills. The school did a decent job with ballet, but also did tap, modern, and hip-hop. At the recital, I felt there were to many numbers and would have done better to reduce the dances in half and allow the students to better focus. As it was, the dancers that did more than one style often seem confused on stage. The costume rental was expensive and those with more than one dance had to have multiple costumes.

Due to scheduling and the front desk lady's attitude we moved ours to Tapio for this season. We're two working parents so a plus to Tapio was they would pick up from school and had an after care program. Initially we liked the program and I have recommended them in the past. However, my wife started to go down and watch some of the classes on her days off and came home concerned because she felt the classes were more organized chaos than a focused dance class. I suppose the last straw for her was the disorganization of the lady that runs the place. We often didn't get communication for what our daughter needed for class, they would bill us for after care days when our daughter wasn't there and finally, they got a rude with my wife when she questioned them about it.

The Charleston Dance Institute is a new dance studio that opened this year by two professional dancers from the Charleston Ballet company. We really wanted to get her involved with it, but her class time was at 4:30 which was really difficult for us. I suppose we went the easy route with Tapio and their after school program and well... easy I suppose isn't always the best. We pulled her out of Tapio mid season (which as I'm sure you know isn't something that's done lightly) and enrolled her at the Dance Institute two weeks ago. It's challenging getting her there, but we're determined to make it work. The class size is small. The teachers are excellent and there is two way mirror/glass so you can observe the class. The owners, who also teach, are well spoken, professional, and very accommodating.

My daughter is much happier and I believe we will be too. On days when we both work and there's class, it can be a rush to get her there, but so far I believe the sacrifice is going to be justified. It's really really a different feeling when the class is being taught by those that have danced professionally and not some in college. The attitude and approach just seems... right. They only have ballet and modern dance and are pretty focused on those type of 'movement' styles.

Charleston Dance Institute | Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Thanks IsNull. My daughter wants to eventually attend a pre-professional school, so I need her in a professional place until she is old enough to apply for them. I did read an article about the two gentlemen that started their own school...I will definitely check it out. I also read quite a bit about some big shake ups at Charleston Ballet Theatre within the company, and I certainly don't want to put her someplace with that kind of drama (there's enough drama everywhere else!).

Do you see many advanced girls/pre-pro at this newer school?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM

There's an advanced class that's doing that I believe is doing pointe in the other classroom while mine is in hers. Her class is tomorrow and I can ask her mom to look in. If you're looking for a pre-professional dance company place, I think this would be the place to look. But we've only been there twice now.

It was my understanding that the owners left because they felt there was some unethical activity within the Charleston Ballet company that they didn't want to associated with. That's all I really know.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks again...yes, daughter would need pointe work. If you get a chance let me know what you see...good luck to your budding dancer!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Ok, talked to the owner last night and did a little watching since the wife dropped off and I picked up. The other class was pointe and the girls were a little older (looked to be highschool). To the ballet novice that I am, I was really impressed with what I saw. Much more advanced than at either school we had been to so far.

The owner (who is one of the teachers) said that once you start taking pointe at his school, it was a serious commitment. Their level 4 and 5 classes were specifically geared toward students that want to be professional dancers. The training and expectations at level 5 is what you would see with a professional company. He said he had danced professionally for 25 years and was a 'Ballet Master' (I have no idea what that is) for a number of those years. Of course he's plugging his own shop, but he felt without hesitation that their group was the most advanced level of ballet instruction in Charleston.

I had told him I was inquiring for a client that was going to be moving to the area. He asked to simply give them a call (number is on the web site, rings to his private cell) and he would be happy to answer your questions and give you a brief history of his experience and where he wants to position the school. Then, come in and try a class for free. No registration, no pressure. If it's not for you, simply don't come back.. no explanation required.

If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Oh my goodness...you are awesome! This school sounds perfect for my daughter. She is committed indeed. Right now she is taking ballet classes 16.5 hours a week (don't ask me how she manages to do that and school - dancers are so diligent), so it sounds like she would fit right in. We are going to be down in Mt. Pleasant doing some more "prowling around" in March - I will call the director and have her stop in for a class...this might just be the trick to keep her from looking at me cross-eyed when I tell her we are moving!

I can't thank you enough...and you add to my list of what I adore about SC (such helpful, friendly people)

Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM

You will also want to look into the Academic Magnet School for the Arts. Anyone in Charleston CO can attend and they provide busing. There is a tryout though.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charl...ol_of_the_Arts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area