Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times

Advertisements

The Charleston Beer Exchange seems overkill and the Piggly Wiggly seems like it doesn't have enough...

Am I missing something? Which stores/locales have the best selection of local beers? I'm thinking bottle and growler for take-home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,259 times
Sunoco has growler take homes. Not sure about "best" but we were impresses considering it is a gas station.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Whole Foods has some doesn't it? CHSbeer | Your Charleston Beer Guide!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:04 AM

124 posts, read 335,519 times
West Ashley has Total Wine and Mt. Pleasant has Bottles. Both carry local beers and I know Total Wine does growlers. I believe Bottles sells growlers as well.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
I thought the guys at the Beer Exchange were a little snooty. I'll still go there but I'm not going out of my way anymore. Someone told me that the Pig on James Island has a lot. I haven't been. Bottles has a huge selection and does indeed have a growler exchange program. They usually have one or two local beers in the rotation. I just took home a 64oz of the Weihenstephener Korbinian (not local) and it was outstanding. Whole Foods always has local beers on tap, and you get $2 off a growler when you buy a pizza. Their pizza is really good and not too pricey. It's like $14.99 for an 18 inch with up to I think 2 or 3 toppings. Also, most any decent bar like Coleman Public House will have a nice variety and they let you sample before you buy.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I thought the guys at the Beer Exchange were a little snooty. I'll still go there but I'm not going out of my way anymore. Someone told me that the Pig on James Island has a lot. I haven't been. Bottles has a huge selection and does indeed have a growler exchange program. They usually have one or two local beers in the rotation. I just took home a 64oz of the Weihenstephener Korbinian (not local) and it was outstanding. Whole Foods always has local beers on tap, and you get $2 off a growler when you buy a pizza. Their pizza is really good and not too pricey. It's like $14.99 for an 18 inch with up to I think 2 or 3 toppings. Also, most any decent bar like Coleman Public House will have a nice variety and they let you sample before you buy.
I have never met a beer store guy that wasn't snooty. I'd like to hope for meeting one that isn't one of these days that isn't pompous about beer like they aren't a glorified alcoholic.

They have a nice selection, though.

I've been to the Piggly Wiggly on James and it's a decent selection as well.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
I think Liberty Tap Room has growlers

Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM

39 posts, read 80,954 times
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you can check out Homegrown Brewhouse on Main Street in Summerville. A buddy of mine opened up this brewhouse about a month ago. They've got 40 taps and only serve local beers. I know they've got growlers as well. Pretty soon, they will be brewing and serving their own beers.

Homegrown Brewhouse
Homegrown Brewhouse Brewpub - Beer Menu - Summerville, SC

Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwusc View Post
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you can check out Homegrown Brewhouse on Main Street in Summerville. A buddy of mine opened up this brewhouse about a month ago. They've got 40 taps and only serve local beers. I know they've got growlers as well. Pretty soon, they will be brewing and serving their own beers.

Homegrown Brewhouse
Homegrown Brewhouse Brewpub - Beer Menu - Summerville, SC
This is excellent.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
Total Wine and More in West Ashley is great. Also the World Market in West Ashley has a big selection as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area