Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 PM

65 posts, read 96,283 times

Advertisements

Hello all, and thank you ahead of time for reading and answering, if you choose to!

Prior to starting, let me say that I have thoroughly researched many of the relocation threads regarding North and South Carolina. I've gotten much information from those threads and I'm thankful that they are there. However, I still would like to get as much input as I can for our particular situation.

We live in New Jersey and have given ourselves a "time budget" of one to two years prior to moving to research, visit, and find a job/make necessary arrangements. We are moving because New Jersey has become financially impossible for us to live in anymore- we cannot afford heating bills, especially, and rentals are outrageously expensive for not much. Also, unfortunately, we are getting tired of the lack of respect and manners in the area where we live. We know that you can find jerks everywhere, but it just seems that there is an alarming rate of disrespect and disregard for your neighbor around here.

We looked at Florida and said no thanks, mainly because of lack of job opportunity and the intense humidity that my husband would have to work in- yuck - and the feedback we received. We have been focusing lately on North Carolina, specifically Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Winston Salem areas, and also Charleston, South Carolina ( however we are not opposed to suggestions in other areas or even other states, if you are so inclined ).

-First, my husband is an automotive technician, more specifically, an ASE certified master automotive technician. I work part-time as an environmental report editor, (essentially proofreader/editor). In the past I have worked as a legal secretary, as well.

-We have one toddler son who will be starting preschool/kindergarten around the time we would be moving. So good schools are important.

-We would be looking for a 2-4 bedroom home to rent in the price range of $700 up to $1300 at most. Affordability is key. We would love to have a backyard for our son to play in, and a garage for my husband to keep his tools and work on vehicles.

-We would enjoy an area that has a lot of outdoor activities, culture (i.e. museums, concerts, good BBQ and foodie restaurants, etc.), diversity, and a welcoming vibe.

We're really not hipsters or political or any of that- I guess we lean left politically- we're just regular people looking for a better life where we can worry less about money and give our son a good education and upbringing around people concerned with values and hospitality, compassion and education.

What is the area for us, do you think?

Again, thank you for reading, and thank you very much for replying It is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,845 times
Mark Charleston off your list. The humidity is WORSE here than in FL (you have cross breezes that make life tolerable there), the cost of living is also higher here than in most of FL. Housing in your price range will limit you somewhat as well. The fields of work you two are involved in are also not "in demand" in this market, and that can make life miserable. Unless his skills can be used in aircraft mechanics somehow.

Based upon your criteria, I'd say no to Charleston. Look towards Charlotte.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,448,214 times
Always a ray of sunshine.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM

57 posts, read 67,590 times
I have to agree with 912. Our family has been in SC since 2011, 2 years in Myrtle Beach and now 5 months in Summerville (outside of Charleston) and we are making plans to move out of SC. The humidity is indeed worse than FL and I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and it has made my disease worse. The cost of living is too high and it makes no sense to me having being a native of Northern Virginia. Charleston is so overrated - it is the rudest town I have ever been in/around and that says a lot coming from the DC area:-) I think they are voting for themselves that they are the "friendliest". Of course, there are the exceptions and they are what makes it bearable.

Good luck to you and your family and I wish I could offer other parts of SC; but, based-on what you're looking for, I would keep looking-into NC.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Always a ray of sunshine.
Always realistic & on point. I refuse to blow smoke up other people's tailpipes & say, "move here, move here!" Believe it or not, this area is not for everyone.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,679 times
You may want to check out Greenville, SC. Very affordable and lots to do. It does come with intense heat though. You can't escape that in SC.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,448,214 times
Like I said, always a ray of sunshine...

Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,319,721 times
Cost of living is usually always higher on the coast, the humidity is usually always higher in the Southeast, and the job market is usually always tougher in a city with high growth. You be the judge.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM

65 posts, read 96,283 times
Intense heat is fine for us- I forgot to mention that we are beyond sick of Northeast winters and would absolutely love and welcome a warmer climate. I understand that the humidity is an issue but from what I understand, it's not constant, only oppressive during a few months of the year, which I think we could handle.

912: Thank you for your insight and opinions- they are much appreciated. You mentioned Charlotte, based on my criteria- may I ask why, specifically, you recommend it, or what is your experience and/or knowledge of Charlotte? Thank you very much once again!

PAinSC: Thank you very much for your response. You mentioned Greenville- what is the culture, diversity, etc like here? It is a very conservative environment? Do you know anything about the schools?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD27 View Post
PAinSC: Thank you very much for your response. You mentioned Greenville- what is the culture, diversity, etc like here? It is a very conservative environment? Do you know anything about the schools?
The whole state is mostly Republican, but I don't think people push their values on you here. At least I haven't encountered that issue in the 7 years I have lived here. But the Greenville area is mostly conservative, but as is Charleston. Culture and diversity is huge there. They have a very nice downtown with lots of shopping and restaurants. Their art scene (such as performing arts) is very big as well. It's in the middle of major cities (Charlotte and Atlanta) as well as smaller towns (Asheville and Gatlinburg), so you can take road trips. It's a very outdoorsy area since it's close to the mountains. I'm not familiar with the schools as I do not have children, but you will have to research which ones will be the best. SC is not the greatest in education, but there are a select few school districts that are better than others.

I moved from Greenville in January to Charleston and only moved because I LOVE the town of Charleston. Other than that, I have no complaints about Greenville. Like I said, cost of living is VERY affordable and you can get much more for your money there. Also, the shopping (malls and shopping complexes) are MUCH better, if that's important to you.

Oh, and there are some major corporations there, such as Michelin, BMW, IBM, and Fluor, just to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area