Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,383,482 times

Advertisements

We live in Park West and couldn't image a much better location for our children. DI does have a marina... the Daniel Island Marina. We own a dry stack there.

Looking at what our kids do and where we shop, we'd spend 90% of our time traveling off DI. For the money, we found we got a lot more in MtP than DI. But, some folks really like that in close Stepford Wives environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,036,442 times
DI was supposed to build a marina down where Children's park is, in the Daniel Island development itself. Not sure if that's still in the works.

I didn't find DI "Stepford" when I lived there. Not in the least.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM

92 posts, read 84,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Pretty much everything in North Mt P is still under construction.
Dunes West, Park West, Darrell Creek are all still building. CP is already 1/3rd complete.
I haven't seen any house resell for less than they paid for it yet.
I think the opposite issue is the problem. We have noticed the turnover is high in our area because peoples houses have gone up so much in price they are moving into a bigger space or onto something with water access.

The housing market here is crazy.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 PM

3,841 posts, read 3,085,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
DI was supposed to build a marina down where Children's park is, in the Daniel Island development itself. Not sure if that's still in the works.

I didn't find DI "Stepford" when I lived there. Not in the least.

Not sure this is what you referring to, but there's a new public boat landing proposed for DI at Governors Park. It's mentioned in this Daniel Island News article from last September. Actually this is a good article recapping several DI developments.

http://www.thedanielislandnews.com/n...d-dina-meeting

Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,634,063 times
I've been on vacation so coming in late to this thread and it's packed with information. I'd agree that Mt Pleasant is the first place I'd look for what you're looking for. Daniel Island is also a possibility though you'd have to see it for yourself... some folks love it and some don't. The schools in either are as good as it gets here for public schools. You can find some homes with a good bit of room around them in your price range especially if you're willing take an older home and update it. Dunes West is the first neighborhood to come to mind for that but wouldn't be the only one.

West Ashley holds a lot of promise and some of the schools are very good but it's a mix and you have to look hard at each one. I'm not allowed to comment on specific schools but if schools are your main focus and you can afford Mt Pleasant, I'd look there first. James Island has some excellent schools and might be worth a look too. Your dollar will generally go a little further on James Island than in Mt Pleasant or Daniel Island though it's a different "vibe".

Taxes on a Charleston County property can be calculated pretty closely on this site:
Auditor's Office

Taxes on an $800k house in Mt P would run right around $3k per year. You will also need to be aware of whether a property is in a flood zone and would require flood insurance. That can be looked into on a case by case basis.

While I actually have a Ukrainian background, I'm American born and haven't heard much Russian spoken since my grandmother passed away when I was a teenager. I'm not sure how cohesive the Russian community here is but there is a Russian Charleston facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/RussianCharleston/

Old 01-12-2017, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 6,893 times
@LocalHero

Thank you (and all who contributed to the thread). I'm planning on coming down later this month and scoping things out, with nervous excitement. The past few days it has been snowing and about 11 degrees up here (albeit today its abnormally warm!) so i'm ready for the milder weather - and acually I quite enjoy the humid summers - does not bother me at all because I grew up with it...

Old 01-12-2017, 01:04 PM

52 posts, read 63,206 times
@TrueBlue : Fellow northern transplant here. You're going to absolutely love it here. It really is better than my wife & I thought it would have been. The others have led you in the right direction, I believe, in where to look. It was very helpful to have people show you around. I'll pm you for more info

Old 01-12-2017, 01:45 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,634,063 times
The few northern transplants that I meet that don't like it here usually find that they can't acclimate to the heat and humidity. I remember when I first moved here (Moved from Boulder and lived on Folly Beach) I thought I don't see how people live here unless they live on the beach! Now, 33 years and one big hurricane later, I'm living on James Island and love it. For me, the mild winters more than make up for the hot summers.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,274 times
Default Mt. Pleasant

Two good friends of ours from Fairfield, Connecticut have moved to Mt. Pleasant in the past two years. Both were focused on education for their children and Mt. Pleasant came out on top. Recently, one friend said that you have to be careful where you buy down there because traffic into Charleston is very heavy in the morning.

My wife and I visited Charleston a few years ago. It is a very nice place. Having said that, Boston and the surrounding suburbs is one of the best places in the country to live.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area