Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,866 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here - mostly reading the Boston forum, where I currently reside with my wife and 2 preschool age children. Contemplating either buying a home in the Boston area or making the jump down to Charleston this Spring/Summer (where we have family and visit quite often - mostly during the summer).

The "Charleston Option" is becoming more and more attractive to me as housing and cost of living in the Boston area has exploded the past 5 years. We love it here, but finding it harder to justify the costs to stay.

My question to the forum:
Suggest some neighborhoods to start prospecting over the next couple of months based on the info below. (I plan to come down with the family for 3 months with a short-term rental as a "test run" first - as the wife is very hesitant).

Largest considerations:
- A good education for the kids. Boston area PUBLIC schools are excellent, would any public school district in the area compare?
- Will my wife like it?

1. Budget to 750K for the right place (although would be nice to stay around 500-650k and save some money)

2. House/Condo/Townhome?House, we would be more than happy with around 2200-2600 sqf give or take.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)

Self-employed (remote) I would be going back to boston probably twice a month, other than that would work from home.

4. Children(public school vs. private)

Would ideally want to be in the best public school district in the area.

5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural)

Would consider all 3.

6. Amenities preferred or must-haves

- I see many beautiful new homes online, but all seem to be in cookie cutter neighborhoods with absolutely no land or spacing from neighbors (hence no character outside of the house itself). I'm not looking for an estate with 3 acres, but a little bit of "breathing room" between homes would be nice. A marsh or landscape view would be nice too.

- Would be open to buying a less expensive home in an older neighborhood and renovating to our liking with the difference in budget.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood

A good mix of cultured professionals who share similar values (not politically - but more along the lines of valuing education, good manners, culture and tolerance). Race, creed or color is irrelevant... We have European roots, so Russian and/or international/well-traveled would be nice.

We are in our late 30s early 40s and both bi/tri lingual. Our children speak Russian and English so it would be nice if there were other Russian speaking children they could play with in order to not lose their proficiency.

-----

I know there is a lot of info here, thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 PM

657 posts, read 740,886 times
Can't help with the language part, but all other wants point to Mount Pleasant. Price range should be able to get a larger lot in a few of the North Mount Pleasant area, I am a little more unfamiliar with how far your money would go in the Old Village. Wouldn't hurt to ask your relatives if they have a reliable realtor, tell them what you want, and let them send you a list of homes available to show you what your money can buy.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:09 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,427,891 times
[quote=TrueBlue22;46701770]Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here - mostly reading the Boston forum, where I currently reside with my wife and 2 preschool age children. Contemplating either buying a home in the Boston area or making the jump down to Charleston this Spring/Summer (where we have family and visit quite often - mostly during the summer).

The "Charleston Option" is becoming more and more attractive to me as housing and cost of living in the Boston area has exploded the past 5 years. We love it here, but finding it harder to justify the costs to stay.

Suggest some neighborhoods to start prospecting over the next couple of months based on the info below. (I plan to come down with the family for 3 months with a short-term rental as a "test run" first - as the wife is very hesitant).

Largest considerations:
- A good education for the kids. Boston area PUBLIC schools are excellent, would any public school district in the area compare?
- Will my wife like it?

1. Budget to 750K for the right place (although would be nice to stay around 500-650k and save some money)

2. House/Condo/Townhome?House, we would be more than happy with around 2200-2600 sqf give or take.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)

Self-employed (remote) I would be going back to boston probably twice a month, other than that would work from home.
shortly

4. Children(public school vs. private)

Would ideally want to be in the best public school district in the area.

5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural)

Would consider all 3.

6. Amenities preferred or must-haves

- I see many beautiful new homes online, but all seem to be in cookie cutter neighborhoods with absolutely no land or spacing from neighbors (hence no character outside of the house itself). I'm not looking for an estate with 3 acres, but a little bit of "breathing room" between homes would be nice. A marsh or landscape view would be nice too.

- Would be open to buying a less expensive home in an older neighborhood and renovating to our liking with the difference in budget.

A good mix of cultured professionals who share similar values (not politically - but more along the lines of valuing education, good manners, culture and tolerance). Race, creed or color is irrelevant... We have European roots, so Russian and/or international/well-traveled would be nice.

We are in our late 30s early 40s and both bi/tri lingual. Our children speak Russian and English so it would be nice if there were other Russian speaking children they could play with in order to not lose their proficiency.

-----

I know there is a lot of info here, thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond!

[/QUOT

Ill try to be more expansive later ...heading out shortly for dinner ...but to start you off...top of mind would be Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island.... Ive noticed that folks moving here with family from New England... find those areas an easy transition for all your needs/wants except for your last nicety ... not many Russian folks here but both communities do have a mix of foreign transplants...

Old 01-03-2017, 03:22 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,427,891 times
Just another quick observation .... my son bought a home on Daniel two years ago .... larger than the home his family had in Westport CT....on the marsh... and pays annual real estate taxes ...close to equal to what he was paying per month in Westport. Sure helps with the carrying costs...lol

Old 01-03-2017, 03:23 PM

727 posts, read 719,377 times
Anyone know this area?:
11 N Hampton Dr, Charleston, SC 29407 - realtor.com®

Water views, home office, larger lot, several route options for getting to the airport, in price range. I don't know what the area is like, though.

Also, found this old CD thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...rleston-2.html

Old 01-03-2017, 03:49 PM

14,265 posts, read 14,797,524 times
As a former Bostonian and having lived in Mount Pleasant SC, all of what you are looking for is available in Mount Pleasant.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,866 times
Thank you all thusfar for the replies. It does seem indeed that Mt Pleasant is the best fit. How does the public school situation look for Daniel Island?

Any particular areas or neghborhoods in Mt Pleasant to keep a watch on? I realize eventually a realtor will help here, but these days with the internet i think i may see a good listing before my realtor would.

@cynic - yeah, no kidding... taxes up here for the homes we are looking at are around 1k/mo. And i only see it getting worse.. although you get a private school level education for that price for the kids... but seems like mt pleasant schools rate well enough to offset that plus the savings.

@bsjasas - how are the schools in west ashley, i see the math and science school rates very well, but is that a public school?

@johngolf - do you ever miss boston? Would you move down there with young kids if you had to do it again. Judging from your nick i take it you much prefer it there with the weather and golf

Thanks again for everyones time and input. Its very much appreciated.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:40 PM

480 posts, read 505,424 times
Suggest some neighborhoods to start prospecting over the next couple of months based on the info below.

Mount Pleasant

The schools are good but do not compare in terms of resources to the schools up north. This is great in terms of taxes, but 'good' here vs 'good' there is not apples-to-apples.

Budget to 750K for the right place (although would be nice to stay around 500-650k and save some money)
Amenities preferred or must-haves
- I'm not looking for an estate with 3 acres, but a little bit of "breathing room" between homes would be nice. A marsh or landscape view would be nice too.

Dunes West or Darrell Creek

I would not seek out a reno project here unless you plan on doing it yourself. The housing market has exploded and finding a good reliable contractor for small to medium sized projects is very, VERY difficult

A good mix of cultured professionals who share similar values; valuing education, good manners, culture and tolerance

Good manners, cultural and tolerance describes Charleston very well

Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 PM

727 posts, read 719,377 times
I know nothing about the public elementary or middle schools for West Ashley. Personally, I wouldn't/didn't pick West Ashley High, though. Check greatschools or the like for more info. What grades are your children in? I hear good things about Orange Grove Charter (K-7th I think).

The School of Math and Science is a Charter school. Here's the website if you don't have it: Admissions – Charleston Charter School for Math and Science

James Island Charter High is a possibility, too, as I was told it is open to anyone in Charleston County, but I think you have to provide transportation if outside James Island. Then, there's Palmetto Scholars Academy, about 20 minutes from West Ashley.

Mt. Pleasant would have things you are looking for, but when you said you will have to go to Boston twice a month, I assumed you would fly commercial? If I had to make frequent trips to the Charleston airport, I would rather be on that side than way up in Mt. P. or dependent on 526 to get there to make a flight. I stress over getting to the airport on time, so I like to have options in case (or the very likely possibility) of a wreck causing a significant delay.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,974,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I know nothing about the public elementary or middle schools for West Ashley. Personally, I wouldn't/didn't pick West Ashley High, though. Check greatschools or the like for more info. What grades are your children in? I hear good things about Orange Grove Charter (K-7th I think).

The School of Math and Science is a Charter school. Here's the website if you don't have it: Admissions – Charleston Charter School for Math and Science

James Island Charter High is a possibility, too, as I was told it is open to anyone in Charleston County, but I think you have to provide transportation if outside James Island. Then, there's Palmetto Scholars Academy, about 20 minutes from West Ashley.

Mt. Pleasant would have things you are looking for, but when you said you will have to go to Boston twice a month, I assumed you would fly commercial? If I had to make frequent trips to the Charleston airport, I would rather be on that side than way up in Mt. P. or dependent on 526 to get there to make a flight. I stress over getting to the airport on time, so I like to have options in case (or the very likely possibility) of a wreck causing a significant delay.
The airport is 30 minutes from the most northern reaches of Mount P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area