Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
This reminds me:
Mt. Pleasant Barbie
This Barbie comes with your choice of BMW convertible or Hummer H2. Included are her Starbucks cup, credit card and country club membership. Also available for this set are Shallow Ken and Private School Skipper.

You won't be able to afford any of them.
I see you received that email also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
How will I fit in with my 67 olds 442 convertable. I don't see any classic old cars when I go down there.
You need to move to Goose Creek. lol A friend of mine has a '69 Trans Am and I have a '81 Nascar Edition Turbo Trans Am. There's also a guy in another neighborhood here that also has a '79 Trans Am. My dad's friend has a '57 Chevy. I'll bet that 442 of yours looks great! There are a good many car show's that go on around here.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
You need to move to Goose Creek. lol A friend of mine has a '69 Trans Am and I have a '81 Nascar Edition Turbo Trans Am. There's also a guy in another neighborhood here that also has a '79 Trans Am. My dad's friend has a '57 Chevy. I'll bet that 442 of yours looks great! There are a good many car show's that go on around here.

LOL Yeah got that email like a yr ago and saved it for the perfect time!

You have an 81 TA? NICE...I love muscle cars and with any luck when the 09 Camaro comes out with its 400HP my other half better let me get it...HA...

Oh yea and Honey, if your reading this board, you are "the best wife" anyone could ask for........

Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliemei View Post
I'm sorry & am completely with you on this one! Most of the incidents I have are in Whole Foods for some reason. I've seen a few pleasant people there, but it seems like most of the shoppers are pretentious and rude. A woman actually ran her cart into my son and I and gave me a look like I was in HER way! This is a problem for me especially b/c I'm a vegetarian and need to shop there more often than not. : (
You can always drive over to West Ashley and shop at Earth Fare (that often has better prices on organic produce and the meat department is more willing to accomodate you than the Whole Foods meat department at the M.P. store is). The cashiers are much friendlier too.

I had an unpleasant experience at Whole Foods when I was only very casually dressed and took out my check-book to get ready to write in the amount. But unlike every other time I've been at Whole Foods, where the cashiers are friendly and accomodating, this gal looked at me with a dissaproving look and asked if I'd ever cashed a check there. I told her I was a regular shopper and had shopped there for years. (I've shopped at Whole Foods in other states dating back to when they only had one store in Austin, Tx when my sister lived there.)Then she changed her demeanor and started to ring up my items and became overly polite.

I think the snobbery however, is not limited to Mount Pleasant. I noticed a woman probably in her 70's walking from her car rudely staring at me in the James Island shopping center parking lot as I was driving around looking for a parking space. I looked at her when I noticed her staring and she continued to stare so I decided to stare right back. Only then, when she saw me staring back did she stop. The only reason she could have singled me out was due to the fact that I still had my RI license plates on my car (which I've since removed and replaced with the SC plate).

I just think of it as part of the southern culture here and I think it is mostly limited to some seniors and a small percentage of other age groups -- probably all of whom have never lived anywhere else in the world and have very limited horizons.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
"Well bless your heart" says it all and conveys what you mean without being nasty ;-)
I prefer the "One Finger Salute".
Here's how you do it.....raise your fist straight up to eye level with your palm and knuckles facing you. Slowly extend your middle finger, smile and walk away.

The receiver of the salute usually displays a reaction of confusion and exasperation followed by the realization that you just got the better of them.
It will make you feel better.....

Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
This reminds me:

Attachment 17322

Mt. Pleasant Barbie
This Barbie comes with your choice of BMW convertible or Hummer H2. Included are her Starbucks cup, credit card and country club membership. Also available for this set are Shallow Ken and Private School Skipper.

You won't be able to afford any of them.
Wow!!! Do you make fun of people often,or does it just come natural to you!
Is it any less wrong to make fun of the wealthy,or Should people start in on Trixy trailer trash? You can never expect people to respect you if you are not respectful of others,some call it karma,Some call it the Golden rule.But I am glad to know the root of all this Bussiness about Mt Pleasant being unpleasant and wont give it a second thought. We will see you there in the next month or so.
P.S. Where can I buy the Barbie set, My wife would love one.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
Wow!!! Do you make fun of people often,or does it just come natural to you!

Ummm, that was a joke and was used to help brighten the day of the original poster...

P.S. Where can I buy the Barbie set, My wife would love one.
If you are interested in the Barbie Collection, tell me what City you live in, they make a "special" Edition for all...LOL

You would have had to read the email to truly appreciate any of this...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
I remember that e-mail, it was hilarious!!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:55 PM

135 posts, read 525,855 times
My father and step-mother are native Charlestonians and long-time Mt.P residents and they will often comment about the prevalent "I'm apart of the upper-crust attitude" in Mt P. I think someone alluded to this earlier, but many in the Charleston area rarely travel because it has most of the amenities and conveniences of a larger city-Miami, Atlanta- without all the hassle. With that, many longtime residents aren't exposed to much of anything outside of what the area has to offer and it tends to show at times. You see, someone in DC or a larger city would not approach a random person's car out of anger, maybe flip the bird, or a scowl, but to approach? Not to so much. Sadly, that impulsive action could very well be that person's last breath or step. I'm not sure what you look like physically, but just the same, I wouldn't do it because you never know. You may now wonder why I'm so familair with this "attitude" of some Charlestonians, well some of these people are my friends and family members, lol. Though I can't recall a single negative experience in Mt.P, I can attest to the fact these attitudes exist everywhere and they cross all gender/ethnic lines. I quickly found this out when I left Charleston for college and relocated to DC and I'll just say that I gained a new found respect for my hometown. With that, I say don't let this single experience change your view of the area, for the most part Charlestionans are a classy bunch and for every negative encounter there will be 3 more that are positive.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 PM

403 posts, read 935,973 times
Charleston Class, you make an excellent point! I was so surprised that someone was willing to take the chance and anger someone like that. I obviously knew where she lived and what she drove. Who is to say that I wouldn't be someone who would come back and key her car or worse (not that I would do that!)? I am from Philly and I have learned all too well that if you make the wrong person angry on the road, they WILL follow you, confront you, threaten you, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area