Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times

Advertisements

^ This is alot of remembering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM

31 posts, read 105,639 times
Remember when Park Circle was only on lane all the way around? My first job was at Rodenberg's Supermarket on the corners of Montague and Mixon avenues when they first opened. How about Purity Ice Cream on Rivers Avenue just down the street from Fabian's Shopping Center? Or the car wash right next to Purity. Or The Hub Clothiers on Reynolds and Rivers? Tuckers Pool Hall on Remount Road before it was on Ashley Phosphate? Krispy Kreme on Rivers near Cosgrove? (Yummy) Porter Military Academy? How about Derriere's on Rivers where Big Lots used to be? I saw Johnny Rivers and Rick Nelson there. Oh yes, the drag strip on South Rhett? It was from where there was a bootlegger in the woods to where the little bridge is. Wasn't really a drag strip but some of the guys used it for one. If anyone remembers Coach Mobley do you remember Coach Jerry Weed? How about the 5 Towers Hotel up Rivers about where all the car dealers are now. Camp Gregg, a Boy Scouts camp way up Dorchester Road?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Jerry Weed was my coach one year.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Jerry Weed was my coach one year.
I lettered in track and filed under coach Weed. Remember when he got his girl friend pregnant and married her? (At least that was the talk going around then)

Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darodge View Post
I Wanted to add some "REMEMBERIES" I REMEMBER WHEN. I remember when North Rhett was a dirt road.
When the Piggy Park was the only place in the area to go out to eat. (Gas Light Square now)
When North Rhett was bscked uo all the way to Red Bank Rd. (Navy traffic)
When Charles Towne Square was the place to go for christmas shopping
When Goose Creek High was also an elementary school!
Actually that was not The Piggy park, it was Robert's Drive-in. Joe Bessinger had the Piggy Park downtown on Rutledge Avenue and Robert and Mary Bessinger had Robert's Drive-in at Gas Light Square (Palmetto Shopping Center is used to be). The Roberts Bar-B-Que on Ashley Phosphate Road is where they moved to. Joe Bessinger told me that the name "Piggy Park" belonged to him and he let the family use the name.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 AM

The Flying Dutchman Club on Dorchester when built was originally called deScene.
When Pinehaven Shopping Center opened there was a contest to win a brand new Edsel car. Ed Kronsberg (Edwards 5 and dime) drew the tickets. The 2nd place winner got a new stereo system. The grand prize winner got the Edsel. Guess what? The 2nd and 1st place winners were sisters. And I believe they lived across the street from Pinehaven in that project that was torn down for the Naval Hospital.
Anyone remember Matro's Restaurant? It was across Rivers Avenue from Shipley's Pharmacy near Reynolds Avenue. All the pawn shops on Rivers Avenue?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVenturesFan View Post
Someone asked on the first few pages what the night club was on Montague Avenue, it was Rockin' Johns. Before that it was Hopping John's but the name was changed because someone downtown had the copyright to the name Hoppin' Johns. As for as someone also mentioning the 3 drive-in theaters, there were 4 drive-in theaters. The North 52, The Flamingo, The Magnolia, and the 4 Mile Drive-in on Meeting Street Road across from Rosemont. (Moncks Corner had a drive-in also)
I remember the Turkey Day Relays on the Battery in the early 60's. (I ran in it for Chicora High School.)
Anyone remember the Polaris Club on Rivers Avenue where Trident Tech is now? He He He. How about The Purple Tree Lounge on Rivers Avenue? The Cactus Drive-in restaurant? Claussen's Bakery? Tri-State? Miller's Department Store on Rivers Avenue? Mama Kates where 526 is now? Beacon Lanes Bowling Alley? The Piggy Park on Rutledge Avenue? Old Roper Hospital? How about the Highway Department on Rivers Avenue at Meeting Street Road where there is a day care now? Douan's Store on Rivers Avenue? The Fair downtown next to Johnson Hagood Stadium? How about Liberty Homes? The old (I mean old) North Charleston High School? The ESSO terminal fire? The Clover Farm blowing up on Meeting Street Road and killing 5 young kids? The Rifle Club burning down (I was the one who called 911 when it was on fire. I was at my mothers' (2 doors out from the Rifle Club)and I heard people yelling for help). How about the old cigar factory when it made cigars?
Did the North 52 later become the Port Drive-In or was Port totally different? Seems that the North 52 and Port were located on opposite sides of Rivers Ave but I could mistaken. I do remember the Purple Tree Lounge. Used to go there when I was still in high school.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Did the North 52 later become the Port Drive-In or was Port totally different? Seems that the North 52 and Port were located on opposite sides of Rivers Ave but I could mistaken. I do remember the Purple Tree Lounge. Used to go there when I was still in high school.
They were 2 different theaters. The Port Drive-in was on Rivers Avenue just below where Parks Auto is but across the street. There used to be a Piggly Wiggly there. They showed lots of XXX movies.
While I'm here, did anyone go to Skateland downtown? I believe it was above a Winn-dixie Store.
I remember going to McAlister Field House on the Citadel to see Dick Clark with Bobby Rydell and Johnnie and the Hurricanes. That was about 1962-1963. It was sponsered by Channel 2, WUSN. I also found the ad for it on Google Newspaper archives.
ZUMAN, what you doing in Virginia?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVenturesFan View Post
They were 2 different theaters. The Port Drive-in was on Rivers Avenue just below where Parks Auto is but across the street. There used to be a Piggly Wiggly there. They showed lots of XXX movies.
While I'm here, did anyone go to Skateland downtown? I believe it was above a Winn-dixie Store.
I remember going to McAlister Field House on the Citadel to see Dick Clark with Bobby Rydell and Johnnie and the Hurricanes. That was about 1962-1963. It was sponsered by Channel 2, WUSN. I also found the ad for it on Google Newspaper archives.
ZUMAN, what you doing in Virginia?
I live, work and play in Virginia.

Yeah, we sneaked into the Port Drive-In a time or two back in the HS days. Would catch a movie there before going to the Purple Tree. And I remember Skateland on King St. Used to go there back in the late 60's. I don't remember there being a Winn-Dixie though.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM

WFH, It was a Dixie Home Grocery store then they became Winn-Dixie and then it became something else below.
You do know that Chicora High has been torn down?
I remember tons of people that lived in that area. from Windsor, (that was the area just blow where old GEX used to be before Union Heights took it over)on up Spruill Avenue, Whipper Barony, etc.

Last edited by TheVenturesFan; 04-17-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area