Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 PM

240 posts, read 443,179 times

Advertisements

Ate lunch at the Mustard Seed in Summerville today. All I can say is WOW!! Great place for lunch. I had the fried green tomatoes and salmon BLT!! Excellent. My wife who tends to like a lot of veggies had the zuchini roll. I think the Mustar Seed is her new favorite place to eat! And we are here for just 4 days visiting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM

87 posts, read 268,461 times
Yes, Mustard Seed is great. Glad you enjoyed it! They have one in Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, and on Maybank Hwy on James Island. Great food. I try to get lunch there when I can.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
I, too, am a big fan of the Mustard Seed restaurants. I've eaten at the one in Summerville and the one on James Island (many, many times at that one) and LOVE their food.....their crab cake is one of my favorite dishes. I don't eat meat often (other than seafood) and love their variety of veggie dishes too.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Did you really enjoy it? We went there one night for dinner a few weeks ago (in-laws were visiting, never been there). My in-laws said the place was lovely, though they're pretty polite, but my DH and I both looked at each other and said that we'd avoid the place in the future.

Since there was a wait beforehand and they don't take reservations, our in-laws chatted with an older local gentleman - he claimed that the food was very hit or miss, and the "freshest" food was what was on the specials list. I ordered the pork loin, wasn't asked how I liked it done (which I don't have a problem with, that's usually a sign of the chef knowing how to cook it perfectly), and it came out practically charred.

Oh, and the meal came with "red rice" - which I had experienced earlier that day at SNOB, and it was wonderful! This red rice was tasteless and reminded me of baby food.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Yeah it didn't bowl me over either. My husband said his meal was very good. Mine was okay. It was a risotto but there was WAY too much garlic. I love garlic and appreciate seasonings but to me it was kind of a 'amateurish' way of making a gourmet meal. You kill it with seasonings and think that makes it a gourmet meal. I couldn't finish the dinner because of the garlic and I ALWAYS eat everything even the so-so stuff. I love to eat. I'll probably give it one more try because of all the positive reviews I have read. I think in Charleston area it must be tough to have just a good restaurant with so many great ones.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 PM

5,277 posts, read 6,210,635 times
I think the hit or miss accessment is pretty true. I have a friend who swears by their salads- which are good, but how many times can a person eat a salad for lunch. I generally have good experiences with their simpler foods and effin love the corn chowder with the mini crabcake. I'm assuming they still have that as I've been on a Boulevard Dinner kick since it took the old MS building on Maybank. Same owners but Boulevard Diner tends be more lunch fare to me.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Yes, they still have the mini crabcakes and corn chowder which is what I almost always get. Again, I don't think I've ever ordered meat there - just soups, salads, and crabcakes...and a few sandwiches. Now, I didn't like their coleslaw - that was terrible....but other than that, I haven't had anything I didn't like there. I've only been to the one in Summerville once.... have been eating at the one on Maybank Hwy. for years. It's a fun local hangout....ALWAYS run into friends in there.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:21 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,676 times
They do still have the corn chowder with the cake. But, the cake is now REALLY tiny in comparison.

I love the bread they serve and really love their Oregano Lemon Chicken. That is the only thing I order and we split it.

Desserts aren't that great, but what can you do?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Okay -- so a few good items. That's alright.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM

394 posts, read 1,048,999 times
I went to the one in Summerville about 5 years ago and loved it - good food, wine, and atmosphere. I took my husband back about 6 months later and did not enjoy it. I think they expanded or something so the atmosphere and service were not great and I got sick, sick, sick from the crabcakes. My neighbor ate there a couple of years ago and also got sick from the food. Everyone seems to love it so I wish I were brave enough to give it another try. I stay away from it, though, after my last experience. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area