Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,000,662 times

Advertisements

The one thing that does suck is the property tax on your vehicle, YES, I said property tax on the vehicle

The newer and more expensive the vehicle, the more they will hammer you for. I dispute mine EVERY YEAR. I tell them I have "high" mileage - also take it to the dealer and get an appraisal of what its really worth . The saving varies about $100/200 yr (sometimes more) in my favor.

The first year I had the Beemer taxes on it were over $800, had them reduced to around $500 something ... Its worth the time it takes to dispute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,433,091 times
Adding in I just paid my Arcadia taxes and it was $299 including renewal fee for tag. If you read the site for property tax on your car it explains how you are assessed.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 PM

252 posts, read 495,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
For renting you should only have SCEG depends ours is about 150, water $30, cable/Internet ours is alot but we ahve DH and DVR and Internet $180. In Mount Pleasant, we use Comcast/Direct TV/Dish. You said phone is covered already. You won't be paying trash or HOA. Your going to want renters insurance which will give a discount on your car insurance. With a 17 year old it may be expensive. My husband and I are with progressive we have a 2008 Arcadia and 99 Range Rover and we pay $127 a month for us two. My daughter is on a different policy it is very expensive but she has had two accidents already.

Thank you Darcy

We have the HD DVR things too, and 4 tv's hooked up to dish tv, it's only about $85 here, but internet is seperate at about $55.

The insurance sounds like it will be higher there, hubby had a bit of a bump today, he has never had one before, he got sandwiched between a small car and a delivery truck! He wasn't happy, that's the only thing he has complained about so far, the driving. Luckily noone was hurt and just bumper dents.

I have noticed in all the kitchen pics I have seen of houses, they all have electric cookers, is there no gas in Mt.P? I'm going to miss my gas cooker!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
The one thing that does suck is the property tax on your vehicle, YES, I said property tax on the vehicle

The newer and more expensive the vehicle, the more they will hammer you for. I dispute mine EVERY YEAR. I tell them I have "high" mileage - also take it to the dealer and get an appraisal of what its really worth . The saving varies about $100/200 yr (sometimes more) in my favor.

The first year I had the Beemer taxes on it were over $800, had them reduced to around $500 something ... Its worth the time it takes to dispute

Wow! that's a new one to me. will have to ask hubby to do some research on that. If I had known about that I might have been tempted to keep my 97 Prius...but that was on the recall list and we thought it might be a good time to trade it in.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 AM

817 posts, read 2,005,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
It is my understanding that according to the SC tax reform act that any new purchase will be assessed at the contract/selling price and thus lower taxes than the prior owner if it had been accessed at a higher price.
Thanks Joe...
Made sense but thought to ask..
Logic and sense have little to do with taxes sometimes

Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 AM

We have gas stove and fireplace. It depends on which neighborhood/section your looking.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Well it looks like we got us a house!! YAY! The one we originally liked on Cypress point came back up for rent on Tuesday, Jay really liked that one, so when the agent called him yesterday to let him know, he jumped on it!

They reduced the rent a little and have scrapped the pet rent ($25 per pet per month!) so it is even better now

We have just about 5 weeks left until we get there, just hope we can get a renter signed here before we leave, got a viewing tomorrow, so everything crossed!

I'm jealous of your gas cooker Darcy, the one in the house there is electric.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Yeah! Happy for you! looks like we will kinda sorta be neighbors. I live in Park West. Let me know if you need anything! And anytime you wanna come over a cook you can. LOL!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
Yeah! Happy for you! looks like we will kinda sorta be neighbors. I live in Park West. Let me know if you need anything! And anytime you wanna come over a cook you can. LOL!
That's really sweet Darcy...cool, (almost) neighbors huh! lol. As soon as we are settled we will invite you all for a meal...I make a mean chicken curry!! even on an electric cooker!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Me again
Well, just about two weeks until the movers get here now! Jay gets here next Friday, YAY!!
We have a renter all signed up for our house here, so that was another thing ticked off the list
I have been calling around all the utility companies here to cancel and get final bills, we have Dish tv here and thought I had a one year contract, unfortunately, they are insisting it was a two year one, so we have to finish off our contract with them for the first year there, or pay a ridiculous early contract cancellation fee! Jay has been checking out internet costs and has found one for just over $30 a month for a year, sounds pretty good.
Jay did a run out from base to the rental last week, he said it took him 50 minutes each way, is he taking a longer route than he needs too, or does that sound about right? (will be on Cypress pointe in Mt,P.)
Anyone know anything about Summer jobs for teenagers? My 17 yr old Son is hoping to find something to earn a few extra $$'s Last Summer, he watched a couple of school age kids and actually loved it, so that could be an option.
Still doing the research on insurance companies, anyone have any suggestions? We are with AllState right now, but Jay got upset with them recently (they added our 21 yr old son without being asked too and didn't even let us know until we noticed it on our 6 month statement!) So after 20 yrs with them, we are looking to change. Jay wants a company that don't out source the call center to India or overseas, he thinks the jobs should stay in the US, so that would be a big consideration for him, (even if it's a few extra dollars)

Ok, I will shut up now, can you tell I am 'pinging' as Jay calls it!
Thank you again for this forum, you guys rock!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area