Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,022,406 times

Advertisements

Hold the phone...I thought "looking" was allowed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 PM

252 posts, read 495,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Hold the phone...I thought "looking" was allowed....
Oh it is....but if his mrs is anything like me, she won't want to see him 'sweeping the room' while they are on a romantic second honeymoon!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,022,406 times
Oh that's right, "second honeymoon", I'd missed that part from the earlier post. Yes, blinders, maybe even gouge out an eye if you have too.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
Just wear my darkest sunglasses....

Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,465,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Electric will be higher for a home, AC is killer down here....

Basic Cable/internet is about $100.00

Trash pickup may be higher if you are not in the city, about $55.00 a quarter

Car insurance will be higher depending on your driving record

And lets not forget water and sewer...
Not to mention FOOD! There is an 8% tax on groceries here. Worst of all, most of it isn't even SAFE if you care about what you eat like I do...beyond what it tastes like. The USA is the only industrialized nation that allows genetic engineering of food. All others have pretty much BANNED it.

Also there is little awareness of what constitutes real unadulterated food here. Most of the food you will buy in regular grocery stores, about 70%, has genetically engineered ingredients. Even foods carried in stores like Publix (that is so popular to posters in this forum) are passing off as safe, that are not.

If you walk through their stores they have some items that have brown labels indicating they are GRAS which is an acronym for "generally recognized as safe"). It gives shoppers a false and misleading sense of security. Inactive Ingredients (Excipients) | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/nutrition/inactive-excipients.php - broken link)

Dangers of Soy | Food Renegade

When push comes to shove, this means unless it is labeled GMO FREE or "organic" there has not been any testing done and if the food has any of the commonly known ingredients derived from genetically engineered foods, ie corn, soybeans, summer squash, papaya from HI, zucchini. canola oil, soybean oil, citric acid, natural flavors aspertaime, nutra-sweet rBGH etc., there are 65 health conditons one is exposted to that are cumulative. The more GMO foods you eat the greater the risk.

There are two starotes here, Whole Foods and Earth Fare that make a point not to carry foods with genetically modified ingredients or that are gentically engineered. Other than these two, as far as I know, the other grocers won't make any guarantees or any effort to label food that do indeed have GMO ingredients in them so you can avoid them.

From the link below, you can link to a shopping list of food manufacturers that do and do not use GMOs.

GM Foods at a Glance - Institute for Responsible Technology (http://www.seedsofdeception.com/GMFree/GMODangers/GMFoodsataGlance/index.cfm - broken link)

Sorry if this is more info than you wanted to know but I thought some "foodies" might be curious anyway.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 AM

Food taxes vary by where you shop, Berkeley County it is only 2%, Charleston County is 8% and the city of Charleston can be as high as 10%...

Old 05-21-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Food taxes vary by where you shop, Berkeley County it is only 2%, Charleston County is 8% and the city of Charleston can be as high as 10%...

Ouch!! but good to know, thank you.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 PM

This may be a silly question (too general maybe) but I just found out that oour 17 yr old Son got a pretty good score on his ACT (top 12% in the US) We knew he was a smart a** but we didn't expect him to do so well, obviously we are very pleased and proud.

He will be doing his senior year at WHS, but my question is, what are the colleges in the area like? He wants to do his first year doing his generals and then continue on to get a science degree, (which maybe totally wrong way to go) are there any colleges (uni's) in the area that he could go too and still live at home? at least for his first year? I am guessing that it will probably depend on how many AP classes he can get into in senior year? I am absolutely clueless how things work in the US, all my education was in the UK and it's totally different there.

Would it be worthwhile Jay going into the HS to talk to the guidance office before we get there (we won't arrive until after the Summer break) to get some info from them? I don't want him to miss out on classes that he needs because they may already be full?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Trident has the 2+2 program, where you go two years at Trident then two years at either Clemson or the Citadel...

At seventeen he can also take classes at Trident in the evenings, my son did that and it was a good thing he did, one of the English classes counted for his senior English that he failed....

Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
Yes, first thing he should do is talk to a counsellor. Some universities are selectivei n courses that transfer. It would be a shame to find out some of the courses don't count.

My kids took enough AP courses in high school, and scored well enough on the exams, to have a bunch of credits before they hit university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area