Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,564 times

Advertisements

Auto Ins, try Farm Bureau, 824-8000, Ron Parker. That's the GC location, just ask them for a local MTP agency. Very good rates with them, with my leased vehicles I have to carry the highest amount of ins, $100k/300k, no one in town could even come close to their rate. FYI, we don't have our home insured with them either, so no multi discounts for us.

There should be plenty summer jobs for your 17yr old. Not sure what he wants to do but the grocery stores are always hiring summer help.

If your into sports dump DISH when your contract is over and go with DirecTV ... Its the only service where I can watch all my NY teams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
All insurance companies will add licensed children living with you to your policy unless you expressly tell them that they will not be driving your vehicles, that is why we had my son only on the jeep, he was not allowed to drive my or my wife's truck at all.......

Even with that when he got in one accident and they were going to drop all of us until we had him removed from the insurance completeley and put on his own policy which Statefarm promtly refused to renew when it came due.......

Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,636 times
50 minutes sounds long. But it depends on what time of day he did the commute. I use to be able to get there in about 30. I haven't made that trip in a 4 years so it may be 50 now. Is he taking Clements Ferry?

I use Progressive through Wynn and Associates (a great local company) insurance. They offer other insurance carriers alos. We use to be with Safeco. We have two cars a 08 GMC Arcadia and a 99 Range Rover and our insurance is $127 a month. Hubby has a less than perfect record. They offer renters insurance discount also.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,636 times
Jobs for son. My daughter works at a restaurant and a local car wash. Lots of jobs around here. Harris Teeter by your house should be opening in a few weeks I am sure they will be hiring. The other new Harris Teeter opened today.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM

252 posts, read 495,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
All insurance companies will add licensed children living with you to your policy unless you expressly tell them that they will not be driving your vehicles,
Yeah, that is why we were surprised that it was our 21 year old Son they added, he has been in the Navy and stationed in HI these past two years! If it had been our 17 yr old (still at home) I could have understood it a little better.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
Jobs for son. My daughter works at a restaurant and a local car wash. Lots of jobs around here. Harris Teeter by your house should be opening in a few weeks I am sure they will be hiring. The other new Harris Teeter opened today.
Thank you Darcy, sounds like he may be in with a chance at a Summer hire then, that is encouraging. Should give him a chance to make some friends in the area too, before he starts his Senior year.

Thank you also for the insurance company ideas guys, we will look into them both.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanaxberg View Post
Yeah, that is why we were surprised that it was our 21 year old Son they added, he has been in the Navy and stationed in HI these past two years! If it had been our 17 yr old (still at home) I could have understood it a little better.
OIC, didn't realize he had left the nest......

That should have been an easy fix to get him removed though.....

HI is a great place to be stationed, the Navy brought me to Charleston and I never really left even though I moved back and forth to the upstate for work, I love this area.......

Last edited by OleTomCat; 05-19-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: formatting.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Auto Ins, try Farm Bureau, 824-8000, Ron Parker. That's the GC location, just ask them for a local MTP agency. Very good rates with them, with my leased vehicles I have to carry the highest amount of ins, $100k/300k, no one in town could even come close to their rate. FYI, we don't have our home insured with them either, so no multi discounts for us.

There should be plenty summer jobs for your 17yr old. Not sure what he wants to do but the grocery stores are always hiring summer help.

If your into sports dump DISH when your contract is over and go with DirecTV ... Its the only service where I can watch all my NY teams!
Thank you!

Will check them out. A grocery store job would be ok, he really isn't bothered about what he does, as long as he can earn some money for his 'gaming' obsession!

We are not really into sports on tv, but we are planning on dumping Dish anyway after the contract is up, I would prefer something like Uverse, I record most of the shows I watch regularly (so I can FF thru' the commercials!) and I would love to be able to record more than two shows in the same timeslot on some nights. We will have that first year to do the research though, so we should be able to sort something out after that.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM

That is why I work, to feed my gaming obsession (WOW $15.95/mnth), the rest goes to the DW for bills and vacation planning......

Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
OIC, didn't realize he had left the nest......

That should have been an easy fix to get him removed though.....

HI is a great place to be stationed, the Navy brought me to Charleston and I never really left even though I moved back and forth to the upstate for work, I love this area.......
Well it shoould have been an easy fix, that is where Jay's frustration came in. We asked them at least three times to remove him, they said they had, but we were still getting charged for him. I finally had to call the head office and talk to a manager (somewhere in India) to finally get it sorted out!

Our Son loves it in HI, but he is looking forward to getting back to the mainland, he has another 2 years to do there. He is hoping to get a transfer to the East coast after HI, I think he should get that, lots of Navy bases on that coast.Good to know that you are happy there, I am getting so I can't talk about anything else these days! I think my friends here will be glad when I have gone!

I'm hoping to get a chance to go visit him there before he leaves, we tried to get stationed there many times, but never got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area