Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 01:30 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
That's what I was thinking too- They need to get some apartments in and around there. Prime location, walking distance to stuff, I think another nice addition would be a small organic grocery store - maybe in the old Save A Lot (or whatever that place was called).

An interesting place for an organic grocery would be the old Fountain Hobby Center. In addition to the forward 75% of the ground floor being set up well as a grocery, there is parking along the side and in the back as well as on-street. There is also a small grass strip between the building and the side parking lot. That might make a nice small farmer's market. The up stairs is already operating as apartments, but I have no idea what, if anything is using the back 25% of the first floor.

If it was a successful set up, a new entry could be placed on the side leading through the grassy area to the side parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 02:18 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Yes Caden!

I want something to go in that Founatin Hobby store so bad that I’d almost be willing to buy it myself. An organic grocery store would really do it.

If the building belonged to me, I’d be putting in an outdoor recreation gear/exchange with a great rock climbing wall going up the side with the grassy lot. I might even add some mini golf to the roof!

Old 04-04-2019, 01:36 PM

604 posts, read 561,242 times
Might be hard for an organic grocery place to compete with the Capital Market, also you are forgetting that most hipster millenials of the sort setting up shop in Elk City are broke. The organic grocery belongs in South Hills. The climbing gym might work though!

I have been thinking of getting into real estate over there, if anywhere has breakout potential in Charleston, it's over there.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:24 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Might be hard for an organic grocery place to compete with the Capital Market, also you are forgetting that most hipster millenials of the sort setting up shop in Elk City are broke. The organic grocery belongs in South Hills. The climbing gym might work though!

I have been thinking of getting into real estate over there, if anywhere has breakout potential in Charleston, it's over there.

If this were anytime in the 1980s I would agree, but South Hills is dead. D E A D when it comes to being 'hip'. All of those shops around Bridge Road are tired and the houses near there are all rentals these days, crime is an issue. You seldom hear about but I have friends that live there and all of them say it has really changed in the last 10 years.

An organic grocery will not compete with Capital Market for one reason, prices. Go into Capital market and everything is WAY over priced! It is all stupid pricing as I call it. I would not drop a dime there.

Sohos charges way too much for what is glorified spaghetti with weird California ingredients tossed in, here and there.

Capital Market was a good idea destroyed by greed.

The West Side is on the verge of a tipping point. I was there just yesterday walking around for an up close inspection on things. I think it is very close to becoming a gayborhood. For many people who do not understand the details of that, listen up. All towns and cities with a successful arts and avant-garde district have at their core a gayborhood.

Gays move in, buy run down houses, dump a ton of money on them, make them something nice to see and some even come out looking a bit Picasso, but so what, its all good. Property values go up and oddly enough, that demographic has a lot of walkers in it and that is the sort of resident that area needs.

I am not sure how to say this without sounding like a first rate backside but a neighborhood watch run by lesbians is a deadly organization. Not sure what they drink for breakfast but it must be a can of whoopa**.

But other things are needed; a dog park; an everyone is welcome neighborhood nightclub, a sit down restaurant for the edgy-side clientele and an organic grocery. Once you have those things in place it will get a 2nd and 3rd look.

As much as I like Taylor Books on Capital, it might be time for them to think about moving to the Westside. I think they would do better there or they could open a small satellite.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:50 PM

Just a few small updates on a few talked about projects.

Hobby Lobby is finally coming along. Work has stopped for what seemed like a year. Their original target opening date was for Black Friday of last year. I emailed them a month ago and they said that they still intended to open a store. Recently work has continued, and they have finally started reconstructing the entry way to mimic their usual entrance design.

Starbucks in Kanawha City is open. It is different from the other ones inside and out.

Jersey Mikes has been open for a few weeks at Dudley Farms Plaza.

The small strip mall that is being built in Kanawha City is coming along. It is ugly.

The now closed Rite Aid in Cross Lanes is seeing some remodeling. No word on any new business going in, but that would be a good location for just about anything.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
The close Rite Aid in Barboursville was remodeled and turned into a Family Dollar. I can only hope that the Rite Aid in Cross Lanes has a better fate in store.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The close Rite Aid in Barboursville was remodeled and turned into a Family Dollar. I can only hope that the Rite Aid in Cross Lanes has a better fate in store.
It wouldn’t surprise me. The closed Fruth pharmacy in Cross Lanes (which is a fairly nice building) was turned into a Dollar General a few years ago. Family Dollar has a store just down the street, but they could upgrade to a better spot. Like you, I hope not! I would like to see the building torn down and a half Dunkin half Panda Express go there lol.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:12 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
That would certainly be a better option than a Family Dollar.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:44 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
There are two closed Rite Aid buildings on Charleston's West Washington St. I hope something good is done with those buildings.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are two closed Rite Aid buildings on Charleston's West Washington St. I hope something good is done with those buildings.
Did they end up closing the one in Elk City? I thought they were leaving that one open due to the amount of business it’s pharmacy received. If that building is now available, I could imagine something going in there. The other one is in a rough spot of town. However, a small grocery store might be perfect for it due to there not being one in that part of town. As far as I know, the other Rite AIDS will be converted to Walgreens with their recent acquisition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston