Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 PM

129 posts, read 234,336 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm moving to Charlotte next year,(I know another one) I'm travelling in September with my family to view some homes and to activate our green cards. I have a 12 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. I was wondering if the are any transplants from Ireland or the UK with children of similar ages. I was wondering how they adjusted to the move with schools etc.Any advice some days my daughter looks forward to moving but other days she doesn't want to go (I know its typical for the age).Any recommendations for good schools etc. Myself and my husband are going to rent before buying to make sure we have found the right neighbourhood for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,004 times
Charlotte actually has a large, vibrant Irish (as in from Ireland, not only Irish-American) community. The unofficial Mayor of Ireland in Charlotte is Kevin Devin (Galway), owner of Connoly's and Dandelion Market and a few other restaurants in the city. He organizes an Irish festival in August and has a huge party on Saint Patrick's Day. I've been to some Irish Society events around the city and am always amazed at how many Irish people there are in town. My in-laws are from Ireland and they love it here. You'll feel very welcome in this town and your kids will fit right in.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinlou View Post
Hi I'm moving to Charlotte next year,(I know another one) I'm travelling in September with my family to view some homes and to activate our green cards. I have a 12 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. I was wondering if the are any transplants from Ireland or the UK with children of similar ages. I was wondering how they adjusted to the move with schools etc.Any advice some days my daughter looks forward to moving but other days she doesn't want to go (I know its typical for the age).Any recommendations for good schools etc. Myself and my husband are going to rent before buying to make sure we have found the right neighbourhood for our family.

Dia duit!

Do you know yet which area of the city you'll be working in? Where you decide to live should be somewhat based on where that location is, or you'll have a lot of traffic to deal with. America is a very car oriented society and Charlotte in particular is very spread out

Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dia duit!

Do you know yet which area of the city you'll be working in? Where you decide to live should be somewhat based on where that location is, or you'll have a lot of traffic to deal with. America is a very car oriented society and Charlotte in particular is very spread out

Go raibh maith agat!

We are not sure yet what part of the city yet -my husband has applied for jobs but we really have to wait for the green card to be activated before he can start anywhere. We were looking at a few different areas but I think we will have to wait until we arrive to get a feel for the place. I have been checking out the forum for a while now and researching some of the areas. I will be there for a week with my family in September but once the green card goes through my husband or myself can make more trips where necessary without the kids.At the moment we live outside dublin and my husband commutes about 30 miles to work. I commute by car too as the public transport outside the city is pretty non-existant.We have traffic here too but at least you guys have proper roads ( although they are getting better here lol)

Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinlou View Post
Go raibh maith agat!

We are not sure yet what part of the city yet -my husband has applied for jobs but we really have to wait for the green card to be activated before he can start anywhere. We were looking at a few different areas but I think we will have to wait until we arrive to get a feel for the place. I have been checking out the forum for a while now and researching some of the areas. I will be there for a week with my family in September but once the green card goes through my husband or myself can make more trips where necessary without the kids.At the moment we live outside dublin and my husband commutes about 30 miles to work. I commute by car too as the public transport outside the city is pretty non-existant.We have traffic here too but at least you guys have proper roads ( although they are getting better here lol)

Hopefully by the time he's ready to job hunt our market will have picked up a bit - unemployment is pretty high here right now. How did you zero in on NC and Charlotte?

Since you have young children I will tell you to spend your time investigating south Charlotte. While good schools can be found throughout the city in various places, the best across the board are all to be found in south Charlotte.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hopefully by the time he's ready to job hunt our market will have picked up a bit - unemployment is pretty high here right now. How did you zero in on NC and Charlotte?

Since you have young children I will tell you to spend your time investigating south Charlotte. While good schools can be found throughout the city in various places, the best across the board are all to be found in south Charlotte.
We chose Charlotte for a couple of reasons -My husband has had replies about jobs he's applied for but he also has a job offer from a company that he does business with here in Ireland that are based in around Charlotte and they want him to come see them when we arrive. We were looking at south Charlotte and the Waxhaw area.
We would be looking to buy a house outright but I will probably rent for a few months to be sure we have the right location.
If my 9 year old son had his way he would have us move to New York, he's been there twice and he loves it but i couldn't live there. Its nice to visit and to shop.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,684 times
There is a long standing and strong Catholic school system in Charlotte. I have pasted the link below. If you are in South Charlotte, you will be in a good position for MACS (Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools), good public schools and other private school options. HTH--
MACS (http://charlottediocese.org/macs.html - broken link)

Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Charlotte actually has a large, vibrant Irish (as in from Ireland, not only Irish-American) community. The unofficial Mayor of Ireland in Charlotte is Kevin Devin (Galway), owner of Connoly's and Dandelion Market and a few other restaurants in the city. He organizes an Irish festival in August and has a huge party on Saint Patrick's Day. I've been to some Irish Society events around the city and am always amazed at how many Irish people there are in town. My in-laws are from Ireland and they love it here. You'll feel very welcome in this town and your kids will fit right in.

I will remember to check it out in September thanks

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM

348 posts, read 850,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
When is the Irish fest? I am heading to Charlotte in a few weeks and would love to partake!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
When is the Irish fest? I am heading to Charlotte in a few weeks and would love to partake!
Let me google that for you

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte