Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times

Advertisements

We went to see "Despicable Me" last night at the AMC Concord Mills. We loved getting in for $5. The concession stand was actually affordable (if you paid attention to the specials). And the seats were comfortable.

Buy, oy vey, I think they make up the revenue by selling the time BEFORE the movie starts. 25 minutes of commercials after the posted start time!!! That is not counting all the commercials that were shown before that.

The movie was really funny, thankfully, so it made up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I've noticed that the number of previews shown seems to be proportional to how popular the feature film is. I've got to admit, though, usually it's like 10-15 minutes. Sounds like they've set a new record.

Did you notice that their new large drink cups don't fit into the cup holders anymore? Now you've got to hold it the entire time.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
I have noticed that the AMC Pavillion 22 doesn't seem to show commercials before the feature except for the "First Look" features. I went to see Predators the other day and it did seem to have a lot of trailers, though.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I have noticed that the AMC Pavillion 22 doesn't seem to show commercials before the feature except for the "First Look" features. I went to see Predators the other day and it did seem to have a lot of trailers, though.
I consider trailers to be commercials.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Buy, oy vey, I think they make up the revenue by selling the time BEFORE the movie starts. 25 minutes of commercials after the posted start time!!! That is not counting all the commercials that were shown before that.
That does seem rather excessive. But I think you are right - do you want to see a movie for less $...or are you willing to pay more to site through fewer commercials beforehand?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
I don't mind the commercials or the trailers. The commercials they show in the theater are different, and usually technically superior to television commercials, and one of my favorite parts of seeing a movie is watching trailers. I went to a movie on Saturday and missed all of the trailers. I was so disappointed! One thing I learned though - the kids who work the ticket booth know the exact time the movie starts, so next time, just ask and you can avoid all the extras if you don't care for them.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
one of my favorite parts of seeing a movie is watching trailers.
I like seeing them too. Even at home, I watch all of the trailers on the DVD (unless they are movies I have already seen).

Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 AM

That's funny you all like the trailers. Some in my family like to review the trailers as independant works, regardless of the actual movie. To me, it just means I run out of popcorn before the main movie starts.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
AMC South Blvd is pretty good. If you get there before noon movies are only $5 per adult ticket.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
That's funny you all like the trailers. Some in my family like to review the trailers as independant works, regardless of the actual movie. To me, it just means I run out of popcorn before the main movie starts.
Trailers aren't as "special" as they used to be. By the time I see one in a theater I have seen it 4 or 5 times on the Intertubes. But, it is fun to laugh at the really bad ones.

I remember that the one for Stealth cracked me up the first time I saw it. Another really funny one was a "Seventh Sign" type movie starring Hilary Swank. It looked god awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte