Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yeah - it's a game they still try to play in some of the sales offices. Drives me nuts. I will say it has gotten more reasonable with what the builders offer with base and we were there in 2007 when it had reached like the peak of insanity.

I remember going back several times because we really did like the product compared to what else we were seeing in the area... The last time we sat down and went through the "rate sheet" with the agent. I remember her having that swagger thinking she "had us hooked". Sneaking us a look at the next day's rate sheet and the deal we'd get by putting money down that day, stepping out several times to check on details because "things were moving so fast". In her defense it was crazy with how many people were walking through the model and how much buzz there was around the place. But the nickel and diming was epic - many of the lots had 10, 15, or even upwards of 30k+ premiums before any upgrades. They "required" certain upgrades to be bought on certain lots... sales games to the max.
That's just too funny. I do remember them being a little snobbish about the community. One of the other things I didn't like about it was that it's not in the MGSD. It's actually part of the Iredell/Statesville school (so is the KB Homes/Waterlynn subd across the train tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Ani, it really is a nice house. Nice fenced in lot with a wooded area behind it & walking distance to the community pool. For the price they're asking, it just might be worth a look. You'd be closer to your family ;-)
That is what I am thinking. Might have to make a side trip to check things out when I head up to my sister's house next time.

Great area - I don't see anything but positives to living there.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:10 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,058 times
Yeah, unfortunately Foxfield is the sub I was talking about. At least the model is nice.
The others were disasters. I think one of them was being rented. There was a young woman and a toddler in the house and not much furniture. The whole house reeked of poopy diaper. Ugh.

One of the homes in Cherry Grove needs the whole interior repainted, all the carpet replaced, and the hardwood floors are ruined, probably by the dogs. No small project.

Rosie, your neighbor's house was definitely clean. That's a really nice location, especially with no homes across the street or behind you. Very quiet. We drove through Harris Village right when we got in Saturday night, about 9pm. It was dark, but all the landscape lighting throughout the neighborhood was gorgeous. And you have a cop living there...bonus.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:40 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
That's just too funny. I do remember them being a little snobbish about the community. One of the other things I didn't like about it was that it's not in the MGSD. It's actually part of the Iredell/Statesville school (so is the KB Homes/Waterlynn subd across the train tracks.
What's really crazy is they actually marketed the community with that as a plus... "Lake Norman schools".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Foxfield is the sub I was talking about. At least the model is nice.
The others were disasters. I think one of them was being rented. There was a young woman and a toddler in the house and not much furniture. The whole house reeked of poopy diaper. Ugh.

That utterly floors me - ugh! How far things can fall in 3 short years.

Glad you ended up in Cherry Grove, we almost rented in there back then when we decided to pass on Foxfield. The house was gorgeous, perfect yard, everything... we couldn't get a confirmation from the realtor after submitting our credit and papers to the owner and we ran out of time. So we ended up renting in Morrison Plantation. We found out 2 weeks later the Cherry Grove house went into foreclosure... and it was mint! Looked brand new and perfect inside. I was disappointed we didn't end up in it.

Good luck in your new home!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM

279 posts, read 887,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't mind cleaning up crap for the right price. I wanna move up there near Rosie (my family is up that way, too). I have been worried about getting a decent price on my house here in S. CLT but I could be more flexible if I knew I could move up that way and get a distressed house at a great price.

Y'all need to fill me in on where to get a bargain up that way. I am into tearing out carpet, repainting, etc., lol (for a bargain).

And BOBO . . . congratulations!! So glad this has worked out for you and your family! WELCOME!
Ani, you can come and be my neighbor! Our neighbor has their house on the market for around 400,000. It's gorgeous! 2 and a half acres plus a garage as big as the house. They are going back to Arizona and are willing to take a loss on the house to sell it! You could not build this house today for less than 550,000. So see,there's your bargain!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:

One of the homes in Cherry Grove needs the whole interior repainted, all the carpet replaced, and the hardwood floors are ruined, probably by the dogs. No small project.

Rosie, your neighbor's house was definitely clean. That's a really nice location, especially with no homes across the street or behind you. Very quiet. We drove through Harris Village right when we got in Saturday night, about 9pm. It was dark, but all the landscape lighting throughout the neighborhood was gorgeous. And you have a cop living there...bonus.
I'm pretty sure we went into the exact same houses! haha We went into one in Cherry Grove that is exactly as you described it. Was really turned off and my wife has LOVED that neighborhood for a while but after that experience that was all it took.

We've been in 3 houses in Harris Village. One is the foreclosure and it was very rough but has potential if you don't mind spending thousands up front to get it in good shape. The other house was a mix of livable now and needing some work too. The third house we went into was great though. Move-in ready.

We went into the first house on your left in Foxfield and, while it was nice and new, it wasn't very large for the price and it had the highway right next door. Ugh. No thanks, got that now. The model was nice though.

We are still looking for that "perfect" house for us that just says "buy me" to both of us. Going to see one tomorrow, maybe its the one! We better find it fast as our current house went under contract as of tonight! Woot!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
Quote:

One of the homes in Cherry Grove needs the whole interior repainted, all the carpet replaced, and the hardwood floors are ruined, probably by the dogs. No small project.....
This is what happens with distressed homes the owners have to leave. i.e. they stop taking care of them. Or they rent them to anyone just to get some cash flow. I know of a case where the owners took out all the fixtures and appliances and sold them before being foreclosed on.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I'm pretty sure we went into the exact same houses! haha We went into one in Cherry Grove that is exactly as you described it. Was really turned off and my wife has LOVED that neighborhood for a while but after that experience that was all it took.

We've been in 3 houses in Harris Village. One is the foreclosure and it was very rough but has potential if you don't mind spending thousands up front to get it in good shape. The other house was a mix of livable now and needing some work too. The third house we went into was great though. Move-in ready.

We went into the first house on your left in Foxfield and, while it was nice and new, it wasn't very large for the price and it had the highway right next door. Ugh. No thanks, got that now. The model was nice though.

We are still looking for that "perfect" house for us that just says "buy me" to both of us. Going to see one tomorrow, maybe its the one! We better find it fast as our current house went under contract as of tonight! Woot!
Good Luck Wolf!!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
...Rosie, your neighbor's house was definitely clean. That's a really nice location, especially with no homes across the street or behind you. Very quiet. We drove through Harris Village right when we got in Saturday night, about 9pm. It was dark, but all the landscape lighting throughout the neighborhood was gorgeous. And you have a cop living there...bonus.
Glad to here the neighbor's house was clean. I haven't seen the cleaning lady come by so I was starting to wonder.

Some of the homes here are beautifully landscaped for sure. There's one huge house up front (my favorite) that backs up to the gazebo area that's perfect. You should see it at Christmas time! Yes, we do have a few cops living here. The Mooresville cop gets to take his car home, which can be a good deterrent for some rif-raf.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
We are still looking for that "perfect" house for us that just says "buy me" to both of us.

Did you check out 196 Forest Walk Way? We really liked that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte