Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,898 times

Advertisements

I don't see any responses from someone who has actually lived in Salisbury, so I'd like to respond, if it's not too late. I'm not a native to Salisbury, but have lived here for several years.

Although Salisbury is a small city, it offers plenty of arts opportunities. Salisbury offers a full symphony season, a drama theater, and a newly-built (and paid for!) children's theater, which just opened this spring. Kids through high school can participate in high-quality, well-attended plays in a state-of-the-art theater, for free. That's right, free.

In addition to the large theater and children's theater, there are a number of smaller groups that stage plays, as well.

Salisbury also offers an art museum and several galleries. Art, pottery, and music classes abound, for young and adults alike. There are many dance studios, music schools, and martial arts classes for your children, as well as plenty of soccer on newly-built fields.

If art is not your thing, there are events downtown every month and a thriving farmer's market to purchase farm-fresh produce. There are running clubs, cycling clubs, and a group recently broke ground for a no-kill animal shelter. A group interested in local food offers the opportunity to sign up for weekly deliveries of locally-grown veggies or meat.

Several coffee shops dot about the city, 2 locally-owned, 1 NE US franchise, and 1 Starbucks. There are 2 private colleges, 1 community college, and a seminary. Many people in town avail themselves of continuing-ed opportunities.

Many cities have aging, decrepit downtowns, but Salisbury's charming downtown thrives, with a variety of shops AND downtown living quarters. Apartments can be found above many storefronts, as well as in their own buildings.

Only 11 cities in NC have accredited parks systems, and Salisbury was one of the first in the state to achieve accreditation. What does this mean? In addition to regular maintenance, EVERY playground is inspected weekly for loose bolts, or other dangerous situations. Any anomolies are repaired promptly. In addition, the parks dept. offers numerous rec opportunities to adults and children. One tennis camp this summer (provided by the parks dept) cost $40/week and provided lunch, while the college charged $130. Instruction was comparable.

The city is in the midst of rolling out Fiber to the Home so citizens can have super-fast internet access and digital phone and TV. It's in the beta stage right now, but will be available in just a couple of short months. Kannapolis, Concord, and even Charlotte do not have this!!!

As to safety, you'll see walkers and runners at all times of the night and day. We've had a recent spate of bad guys fighting amongst themselves, but use your head, use normal caution, and Salisbury is not an unsafe environment by any means.

The cost of living in Salisbury is significantly lower than in the surrounding cities. Yes, you may go online to shop for some things, but the quality of life in Salisbury is quite high, and I highly recommend it. And, yes, there are 2 stores that specialize in Asian food. Your rent will be quite low in Salisbury -- why not try it out and avoid the cost of commuting, as well?

Last edited by attic; 07-18-2010 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Added para re crime in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 04:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
I grew up 20 minutes north of Salisbury.
Salisbury offers High Rock Lake another place to look for a place to live
and my Favorite DanNicholasPark.org, Salisbury, NC - Your Best Entertainment Bargain!
Haden's Carousel
Water Park
Petting Barn
Nature Center
Hurley Train Station
Cheerwine Aquarium
Miner Moose Gem Mine
Mini Golf
paddle boat

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM

6 posts, read 11,277 times
Yes, go the Concord route. Salisbury is very small town. You'll be better off having a bit of a commute than not enjoying where you live.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 15,603 times
Thanks a lot Attic....You have shared lot of information about Salisbury. I am keen on getting your contacts as I would like to know more details on the apartment and running groups.

Thanks
EI

Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,898 times
EI, please feel free to email me at maggies.attic@gmail.com if I can be of assistance regarding Salisbury. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte