Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:18 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times

Advertisements

See that is wheree the whole school lunch things and breakfast get sticky. How do you have your child eat healthy at home or bring food from home when they can get FREE junk at school??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
See that is wheree the whole school lunch things and breakfast get sticky. How do you have your child eat healthy at home or bring food from home when they can get FREE junk at school??
That is where I am lucky. My kids won't touch any of it .

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
This is dancing around a bigger debate: how far away from meeting strictly educational needs should today's schools get? The debate is huge and the issues are complex. It is more than just feeding the kids. What about after school care for those who are unsupervised? Health care? Financial planning help? Healthier living advice? Parently skills? Dealing with a child entering puberty?

These are all proposals and/or programs that I have seen in schools across the demographic spectrum. As much as I am always "children first", there are things almost every week that just make me wonder. The fundamental issue, though, is what can we do to improve children's chance of success? We ultimately want to break bad cycles not support them.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I did allergy testing and had to stop after 20 pricks or so. It seems that needles & I don't get along, at least not in that manner.
I'm allergic to needles... and pricks.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 AM

515 posts, read 1,036,366 times
Great, 1/2 the people don't pay taxes, so I provide for all the services they use...now I have to feed everyone's kids as well...how about you take care of yourself and I'll take care of myself.....

Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Great, 1/2 the people don't pay taxes, so I provide for all the services they use...now I have to feed everyone's kids as well...how about you take care of yourself and I'll take care of myself.....

Because that doesn't make everyone "feel good" about themselves.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
It's paid for with federal monies and not local funding. Still, the federal budget is in horrible shape too.

And where does the federal government get its money - duh, that would be US - the citizens.

As Ani said, there is no free lunch (or breakfast). SOMEBODY is having to pay for this.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Did anyone see the show with Jamie Oliver when he went into the school in W.Virginia to try and change the way food is prepared? He really got some people mad especially the lunch ladies. I think it was called Food Revolution. It started in England.

Oh yeah. School cafeteria menus need to be revamped and changed as badly as the school/educational system itself!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And where does the federal government get its money - duh, that would be US - the citizens.

As Ani said, there is no free lunch (or breakfast). SOMEBODY is having to pay for this.
Well, LOVES, since stating that, I have done my research and found I was wrong.

It is all free.

No one is having to pay a thing.

It is all being provided by the the Federal Good Fairy(USDA) in conjunction with our local Good Fairy (Gov. Bev Perdue).

I discovered this info online, but was also reminded to thank the Dubai and China Good Fairies, since they are holding all the Federal Good Fairy's IOUs.

One might say - it is a global effort.

We sure are lucky to have such good friends sending us food all the way from Dubai and China.

Things sure have changed since I was a kid. Back then, they told us at school to clean our plates b/c children in China were starving. Now those Chinese kids are sending us free food. I am so glad we all cleaned our plates in honor of starving Chinese.

See - it is true! - one good deed leads to another. I am going to tell my grandchildren to save a donut and send it to China, just as a way to say "thanks."

It's the least we can do.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, LOVES, since stating that, I have done my research and found I was wrong.

It is all free.

No one is having to pay a thing.

It is all being provided by the the Federal Good Fairy(USDA) in conjunction with our local Good Fairy (Gov. Bev Perdue).

I discovered this info online, but was also reminded to thank the Dubai and China Good Fairies, since they are holding all the Federal Good Fairy's IOUs.

One might say - it is a global effort.

We sure are lucky to have such good friends sending us food all the way from Dubai and China.

Things sure have changed since I was a kid. Back then, they told us at school to clean our plates b/c children in China were starving. Now those Chinese kids are sending us free food. I am so glad we all cleaned our plates in honor of starving Chinese.

See - it is true! - one good deed leads to another. I am going to tell my grandchildren to save a donut and send it to China, just as a way to say "thanks."

It's the least we can do.

Actually, I'm thinking we should make our thanks more local - I'll send a CHEERWINE

Good ole China - where WOULD we be without the ChiComs right now???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte