Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I'm thinking we should make our thanks more local - I'll send a CHEERWINE

Good ole China - where WOULD we be without the ChiComs right now???
Obviously, we would be very hungry. And we wouldn't have Wal-Mart, since 99.9% of what they sell is Made in China.

On the other hand, China has all our jobs, so without them, perhaps we would not have a 10% UE rate here in the good ole US of A.

And we could feed ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
China isn't really buying USA debt anymore because they consider the risk too high because of the low interest rate. The US government however is borrowing $billions/day. So who is buying the debt? We are. It sounds as if the Federal Reserve (which by law can't be audited, they have made sure of that) is printing dollars out of thin air, using that to buy Treasury Notes which the Treasury then deposits in it's account. This means the $'s you hold are being turned into junk. It means any paper asset you have that is denominated in $s is being turned into junk. If they let interest rise on the government notes so they can sell the debt in a fiscally accepted manner, then it causes all interest rates to rise and the economy collapses from the debt. There isn't a historical precedent for it.

So this is how they can provide the free lunches and free everything else. They just print the dollars for it.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
China isn't really buying USA debt anymore because they consider the risk too high because of the low interest rate. The US government however is borrowing $billions/day. So who is buying the debt? We are. It sounds as if the Federal Reserve (which by law can't be audited, they have made sure of that) is printing dollars out of thin air, using that to buy Treasury Notes which the Treasury then deposits in it's account. This means the $'s you hold are being turned into junk. It means any paper asset you have that is denominated in $s is being turned into junk. If they let interest rise on the government notes so they can sell the debt in a fiscally accepted manner, then it causes all interest rates to rise and the economy collapses from the debt. There isn't a historical precedent for it.

So this is how they can provide the free lunches and free everything else. They just print the dollars for it.
See! Federal Good Fairy!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
See! Federal Good Fairy!
Ahh yeah. This fairy isn't so good as eventually she makes a return as a horrendus looking succubus from the dark side who will take from all whether they got a free lunch or not.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm thinking we should make our thanks more local - I'll send a CHEERWINE

Good ole China - where WOULD we be without the ChiComs right now???
loves - We're going about this whole problem the wrong way! With the epidemic of childhood obesity we have to "change our thinking". If you have a BMI of 30 or more, no free lunch! This alone, would drop the free-lunch program down to about 20% of the school population. BMI kiddies between 25-30 would get half a lunch. Also, anyone over 25 on the BMI scale has to walk to school! That eliminates about 80% of the busing! Hey, a few might get mushed by a car, but Dr Gorman could use the slogan "CMS - Only The Strong Survive".

loves - Make that a Diet Cheerwine!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Ahh yeah. This fairy isn't so good as eventually she makes a return as a horrendus looking succubus from the dark side who will take from all whether they got a free lunch or not.

Succubus, indeed!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
And where does the federal government get its money - duh, that would be US - the citizens.

As Ani said, there is no free lunch (or breakfast). SOMEBODY is having to pay for this.
Oh I totally agree. I was simply pointing out that the anger shouldn't be directed at the local level for this program.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
Oh I am not angry. I am actually sad that we keep expecting that everyone can be what they want. IT isn't the the governments fault that people who should not have kids do...however they enable it by paying for the kids over and over again. If you want kids..take care of them. If you need help, get help but learn from that help and do for yourself. I don't buy the I had kids young, I didn't know better. I did have kids young and guess I worked...what a concept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte