Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,335 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Seattle, WA for most of my life and it's been fun. I decided to go to college in Bellingham, WA at Western Washington University. I have hated it here ever since. I hate the weather and the small town feel of Bellingham. I feel like there is nothing to do except go hiking or do something with nature. I have family in Charlotte and have visited many times and loved it. Now to be honest I haven't explored too much. My family has taken me all around the state to tourist stuff and I love it, but I know that visiting and living somewhere are completely different. I am strongly considering UNCC because it's price is comparable to the college I attend now and UNCC has the program I want to study.

I am in the middle of applying to UNCC and I am pretty sure I am getting in, but I was wondering if I could get a little advice from people living in Charlotte. I know the city probably won't compare to the life of Seattle, but there is fun stuff to do right? I keep getting mixed signals on all the other posts I read. I like to go out at night, but I am also into most activities in general as long as there are people to have a good time with.

I need some sunshine in my life and a change of atmosphere, is UNCC a good choice for me? All opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 AM

189 posts, read 333,933 times
Charlotte is what you make it. It has all the amenities of a large city to keep you interested. I am newer to the area and the mixed signals from this board that I have seen usually relate to trying to find a job here and discussions on safety. Admittingly I've never been to Seattle but coming from the Cleveland, Ohio area I find some of the safety questions to be a little over cautious and humorous.

The biggest safety issue in the city is to your vehicle. Car theft/vandalism seems to be the biggest problem wherever you go but just be smart about not leaving desirable items laying out on your seat.

I can't tell you if UNCC has a strong program in what you want to study but from what I've heard it is a school on the rise. I've gone up to walk around the area and its a beautiful campus with a lot of classic brick buildings and more dorms going up to entice students to stay on campus and shed the commuter school stigma.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
You'll definitely find plenty of sunshine here! It's funny you mention hiking and doing stuff outside - we are planning to move to Oregon within the next few years for that exact reason.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 AM

196 posts, read 428,722 times
Having lived in Portland for the last 4years, I understand your sense of the majority activities involving the outdoors. In my opinion, if you found Seattle lacking in activities, you certainly will in Charlotte as well. I will say that I find downtown Charlotte considerably safer at night than Portland or Seattle.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
I was on the UNCC campus 2 days ago with my son, a prospective transfer student. Campus looks great, with a new student union building that is fantastic and would compare favorably with any I have seen elsewhere. There is a movie theater inside (movies free for students) fast food court downstairs and "upscale looking" cafeteria on the 2nd floor. There is a lot of student housing on campus, so there are plenty of students in residence, but there are still many (probably more) commuting students. There is bus service to uptown Charlotte (18 mins, < 12miles - my son checked).

Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,335 times
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I have toured the campus briefly and it was beautiful especially compared to the one I go to now which just consists of concrete gray ugly buildings, which don't make the atmosphere any more appealing. In regards to Seattle lacking in activities, that it not what I meant. I love Seattle and all the stuff to do there, but have no desire to go to any of the surrounding schools. The place that I thought was boring is the city of Bellingham, where my college is located now that is right up by the Canadian border. It's a super liad back hippie town that is "all organic". There are literally about 4 bars that you can go to and everytime you try to go out you see the same exact people because there is nothing else to do there at night. That is what I am trying to get away from. If i have to drive 15 min or take a cab or something to the bars I don't mind, as long as there are new faces to meet and new places to try.

I have a car that I will be bringing with me so hopefully that will open up more opportunities for fun. Also in regards to the crime rate, that was something that worried me, but Clevelandguy pointed out it might be a little exaggerated being that I am used to living in Seattle anyways.

Another worry of mine is politics. I'm not the type of person that likes to debate easily, but I do have some strong points of view and as you can probably guess I am a democrat. I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but honestly where I am from most people are democrats so I haven't been exposed to many hard core Republicans. I am just a little worried knowing that I could be down there for the 2012 election, there are some democrats down there too right? (Sorry if that comment seems ignorant, it is just one thing people keep telling me that everyone is super republican down there, which is fine, but I would just like some democrat company too lol)

Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM

196 posts, read 428,722 times
. I am just a little worried knowing that I could be down there for the 2012 election, there are some democrats down there too right? (Sorry if that comment seems ignorant, it is just one thing people keep telling me that everyone is super republican down there, which is fine, but I would just like some democrat company too lol)[/quote]

There seems to be a good divide here amongst the parties. While I try to adhere to the addage of not talking about religion and politics, the vibe doesn't seem nearly as strong/outspoken as the PNW.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
. I am just a little worried knowing that I could be down there for the 2012 election, there are some democrats down there too right? (Sorry if that comment seems ignorant, it is just one thing people keep telling me that everyone is super republican down there, which is fine, but I would just like some democrat company too lol)

There seems to be a good divide here amongst the parties. While I try to adhere to the addage of not talking about religion and politics, the vibe doesn't seem nearly as strong/outspoken as the PNW.[/quote]

HA! Just wait until election time!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM

529 posts, read 1,203,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlegirl4 View Post
Another worry of mine is politics. I'm not the type of person that likes to debate easily, but I do have some strong points of view and as you can probably guess I am a democrat. I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but honestly where I am from most people are democrats so I haven't been exposed to many hard core Republicans. I am just a little worried knowing that I could be down there for the 2012 election, there are some democrats down there too right? (Sorry if that comment seems ignorant, it is just one thing people keep telling me that everyone is super republican down there, which is fine, but I would just like some democrat company too lol)
As is usual for larger cities, Charlotte has more Democrats compared to statewide average. But you must also consider that the brand of Democrats here in the South will differ from what you'll find on the coasts. For example, black Democrats here will likely have different priorities compared to tree-hugger hippie types out west.

As for Seattle v Charlotte . . . I have family in Seattle and always enjoy my visits there. Charlotte pales in comparison in terms of activities and culture, but it does have more sunshine, less traffic, and real estate is CHEAP (for a reason ).

Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Spot on Oldmosbile.......you definitely will be in for culture shock in terms of nightlife; activities, and culture.....and he's right about the real estate part......IT'S CHEAP FOR A REASON......Think long and strong on your decision.....Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte