Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:14 PM

16 posts, read 94,080 times

Advertisements

Where does a person find a day laborer or two to do some yard cleanup work?
I've driven thru a couple of Lowes, Home Depots, and U-Haul places but I don't see any temporary workers available. Am I looking at the wrong stores? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport View Post
Where does a person find a day laborer or two to do some yard cleanup work?
I've driven thru a couple of Lowes, Home Depots, and U-Haul places but I don't see any temporary workers available. Am I looking at the wrong stores? Thanks.
Had to laugh when I saw this post, sorry Day laborers don't stand around our home improvement stores in Charlotte waiting for someone to come by and hire them. I think I've seen that on tv as something they do in California right? I would suggest you ask around your neighborhood to get a recommendation. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
They actually DO do this in Huntersville....however, the stores have run them off for the most part.

OP, you have no business hiring illegals anyway. What is wrong with you?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:20 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
OP is why there is an immigration crisis in America. You should be ashamed of yourself! Makes me sick!!!
Are you kidding? Why does "Day Laborer" have to have anything to do with an immigration crisis. Sport can simply drive by a local homeless shelter and see if anyone is willing to help him / her out in the yard for a day.

Or, my personal suggestion would be to drive around a new neighborhood and find some laborers and ask them if they would mind coming over to help on their days off and help out for cash? Maybe that is what you mean by contributing to the immigration crisis.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times
Try putting an ad in the paper that you're seeking someone to do yardwork. Or read the ads others place looking for this type of work....
That's what we do.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Are you kidding? Why does "Day Laborer" have to have anything to do with an immigration crisis. Sport can simply drive by a local homeless shelter and see if anyone is willing to help him / her out in the yard for a day.

Or, my personal suggestion would be to drive around a new neighborhood and find some laborers and ask them if they would mind coming over to help on their days off and help out for cash? Maybe that is what you mean by contributing to the immigration crisis.
You are obviously not familiar with the day laborer crisis going on in other areas of the country and slowly trickling into our area. The reason they solicit outside of the Home Depots and such are because they do not have papers and cannot get full employment elsewhere.

Seriously, it is a HUGE issue. Google and do a little reading on it, it is a bad situation.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM

67 posts, read 301,165 times
you may want to check out services section of craigslist. There are lot of people looking for odd jobs there.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM

55 posts, read 159,189 times
I just have to ask this. Why doesn't it bother the average citizen that some of these people are, honest to goodness, ILLEGAL aliens?

Why?

By giving them work - any work - they are encouraged to stay here. Not to mention how LEGAL Americans pay for their health care (emergency room visits), education for their children, and a host of other things via increasing tax bills.

So, when I hear "day laborer", I immediately think "illegal". Am I off on that one? If not, then I ask again, why doesn't it bother people?

If those in government have their say, and all these illegals become legal, that means they will be eligible for more welfare benefits. How does this relate to NC? Imagine the # of illegals, and picture the size of the new tax bills...

Sorry, had to comment on this one. Like I said, am I wrong to associate "illegal alien" with the phrase "day laborers"?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:24 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
I guess this post wan't meant to continue the national debate on illegal immigration, but the way I see it, is that there are a ton of people here in NC who are willing to take short term "employment" for cash. As I stated before, he can go to the local homeless shelter and find some people who are willing to do some yard work for some cash or even for food.
I have also been able to find laborers who happen to be hispanic to do certain jobs around my house for a fraction of the cost of a regular company here in Charlotte.
What's the difference in hiring a "Day Laborer" for a day of yard work or the builder of your house hiring a "crew" to frame your newly built house?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I guess this post wan't meant to continue the national debate on illegal immigration, but the way I see it, is that there are a ton of people here in NC who are willing to take short term "employment" for cash. As I stated before, he can go to the local homeless shelter and find some people who are willing to do some yard work for some cash or even for food.
I have also been able to find laborers who happen to be hispanic to do certain jobs around my house for a fraction of the cost of a regular company here in Charlotte.
What's the difference in hiring a "Day Laborer" for a day of yard work or the builder of your house hiring a "crew" to frame your newly built house?
You're right, it wasn't meant to be a national debate on illegal immigration. I don't believe he was attempting to suggest where he can find illegals to do some cheap work. Sometimes an apple is just an apple folks.

As suggested post an ad in craigslist services and you'll find tons of people looking for odd jobs and pick up work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte