Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:03 AM

572 posts, read 1,614,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
I was driving on 485 the other night and it was foggy and raining, and am thinking to myself this is so dangerous. It is pitch black, and it makes it hard to see. You would think the city would do something about this.
Getting past the sarcasm in my last post, seriously if you are having difficulty driving in foggy or rainy conditions then pull over and wait until conditions improve. Yea the city could spend a few million dollars installing street lights or you could spend $50 on a set of fog lights. There's nothing wrong with applying a little personal responsibility to your problem and most of the time its cheaper. After all it usually is dark at night. If that's a problem for you then don't drive when it's dark, or rainy, or foggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,214,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Getting past the sarcasm in my last post, seriously if you are having difficulty driving in foggy or rainy conditions then pull over and wait until conditions improve. Yea the city could spend a few million dollars installing street lights or you could spend $50 on a set of fog lights. There's nothing wrong with applying a little personal responsibility to your problem and most of the time its cheaper. After all it usually is dark at night. If that's a problem for you then don't drive when it's dark, or rainy, or foggy.
Normally I agree with the call for personal responsibility.

However, in this case, you guys are missing a key part of the story. In Charlotte, much of the infrastructure is already built. The lights are dark because scumbag m*****f*****s keep stealing the copper.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,368,466 times
I noticed this when I moved as well. At first I thought it was b/c of the trees (maybe a protected area where they can't destroy the natural area by adding lights?), but soon I realized they just don't have lights. I don't understand it either, although the comments about it not being Raleigh may have something to do with it

Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM

103 posts, read 396,229 times
I don't mind it a bit. But I still have young eyes

Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,293,832 times
I noticed when driving on 485 tonight and it seemed darker than usual and I noticed they are no longer lighting up the green overhead signs. Anybody know if this is a permanent thing to save energy?

As for the OP, 77 and 85 are well lit but many of the city streets and especially I-485 could really use better lighting.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,605,646 times
We need more Skyglow!!!!!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 AM

196 posts, read 429,508 times
It isn't the lack of lighting that bothers me, its the lack of lane markings that causes concern. I hate getting off Independence onto 485 at night as there is a good stretch of road with barely noticeable markings, and when it is dark and rainy- you can't tell where you should be.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,856,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Normally I agree with the call for personal responsibility.

However, in this case, you guys are missing a key part of the story. In Charlotte, much of the infrastructure is already built. The lights are dark because scumbag m*****f*****s keep stealing the copper.

This is a large part of the problem. With copper at the high levels it is at, anyone would be a fool to spend the money just to have the material stolen. Its like peeing into the wind.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 PM

495 posts, read 1,081,176 times
Yeah, just what Charlotte needs, a bunch of added light pollution because some people don't realize that their cars have headlights. It's pretty cool living in a 2 million+ metro. area that actually gets dark at night.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM

1,464 posts, read 2,973,969 times
I live in Charlotte but I'm from Columbia SC. Coming from that city with ZERO streetlights on the interstates (3 major ones) I'm used to it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte