Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM

494 posts, read 852,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Getting past the sarcasm in my last post, seriously if you are having difficulty driving in foggy or rainy conditions then pull over and wait until conditions improve. Yea the city could spend a few million dollars installing street lights or you could spend $50 on a set of fog lights. There's nothing wrong with applying a little personal responsibility to your problem and most of the time its cheaper. After all it usually is dark at night. If that's a problem for you then don't drive when it's dark, or rainy, or foggy.
I don't understand the personal responsibility thing. It's what people throw out reflexively when they don't want to spend money, even for reasonable things.
Fog lights do not decrease accidents because any gain in visibility gained is offset by loss in visibility from the lights shining in someone else's eyes. Plus if everyone paid 50 bucks for fog lights the total cost to society is MUCH more than if the government puts up some streetlights, for less efficacy.
Well lighted streets decrease fatalities and decrease accidents. Surface streets that are well lighted decrease crime. All for relatively few dollars.
If this isn't something that is an ideal use of tax dollars, I don't know what is. Lighting of roadways is the textbook definition of a public good.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advi...t_lighting.pdf

Last edited by Niceguy17; 12-27-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,512,043 times
I agree.

This is one of the things that was the most difficult for me to get used to when I moved here (the lack of street lights). When no other cars were on the road I couldn't even tell where the median was or if there was one when making a left hand turn.....until I was right up on it.

I am more used to it now, but it took a while.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
I don't understand the personal responsibility thing. Most people do not drive around in the dark without headlights. What more responsibility could one take?
Well lighted streets decrease fatalities and decrease accidents. Surface streets that are well lighted decrease crime. All for relatively few dollars.
If this isn't something that is an ideal use of tax dollars, I don't know what is.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advi...t_lighting.pdf

Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,783,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post

That report is from the UK. They have their streetlights on the wrong side of the road

Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM

184 posts, read 246,198 times
Just visited Charlotte and the lack of lighting made my driving dangerous and contributed to my getting lost a bit (hey, I'm good at directions, but it's not an area I know). I got off of 485 and it was very very dark. Where the ramp ended and the next street began was very hard to know - no signs. Looking for street signs is harrowing. Can't see the name of the streets out in the more suburbian areas and with drivers behine, can't really use directions very well with no illumination of the signs, streets, etc. Needs more street name identifiers for intersections and the like. I think money is the issue, and NC is having growth at a staggering rate. But it is a real driving safety (and sanity, lol) issue.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM

39 posts, read 65,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
Just visited Charlotte and the lack of lighting made my driving dangerous and contributed to my getting lost a bit (hey, I'm good at directions, but it's not an area I know). I got off of 485 and it was very very dark. Where the ramp ended and the next street began was very hard to know - no signs. Looking for street signs is harrowing. Can't see the name of the streets out in the more suburbian areas and with drivers behine, can't really use directions very well with no illumination of the signs, streets, etc. Needs more street name identifiers for intersections and the like. I think money is the issue, and NC is having growth at a staggering rate. But it is a real driving safety (and sanity, lol) issue.

Agree.Charlotte is not very progressive at all. I recently moved here and I feel like I'm in a time warp 20 years ago. The politicians here have to do a better job.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,638,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
Im impress, you driving from Florida without a GPS but it would make life so much easier investing in one. They start at only $75 bucks then you would kow when a roads ends the way it curves plus what it intersects with and some even tell you street names.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanill_Nut View Post
Agree.Charlotte is not very progressive at all. I recently moved here and I feel like I'm in a time warp 20 years ago. The politicians here have to do a better job.
Street light problems make us non-progressive? What cities are you judging us against?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM

624 posts, read 2,112,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Street light problems make us non-progressive? What cities are you judging us against?
I think I'm on your side GCharlotte. I just used Google image searched "Jetsons" and not only do their cities not have street lights. They also use daily transporation that doesn't even have headlights as an option. And they're way more progressive in my mind.

Maybe Charlotte's problem is we still drive cars with headlights!

Source (because references make my arguement legit!) google image jetsons - Google Search

Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM

494 posts, read 852,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I think I'm on your side GCharlotte. I just used Google image searched "Jetsons" and not only do their cities not have street lights. They also use daily transporation that doesn't even have headlights as an option. And they're way more progressive in my mind.

Source (because references make my arguement legit!) google image jetsons - Google Search
They clearly had retractable headlights. You just never saw them drive at night.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Don't give 'em any more ideas. I have a theory that people don't use turn signals because of NASCAR and I don't want the using decals for headlights.

On the other hand, Charlotte Motor Speedway is well lit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte