Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,537,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I would not shop there. Their food is very cheap in every sense of the word. They sometimes have brand name items, but I find it akin to the brand name stuff you find at the dollar store - smaller packages or items near their expiration date.

Many of the items that you purchase in Aldi are made by the very same people who produce the "name brands" bought in stores such as HT, Bilo etc.....

As far as size,I recommend you start watching your packaging. You will find that you are paying more for groceries and getting less.

Eta: what the dollar store sells is the same as what you get in the grocery store.

Last edited by sundrop; 04-04-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,144,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Many of the items that you purchase in Aldi are made by the very same people who produce the "name brands" bought in stores such as HT, Bilo etc.....

As far as size,I recommend you start watching your packaging. You will find that you are paying more for groceries and getting less.

Eta: what the dollar store sells is the same as what you get in the grocery store.
My sister shops exclusively at Aldi, and I can tell you by taste alone it is not the same product. Just because products are manufactured by the same company does not mean they are identical products.

I do watch my packaging. I'm an extremely savvy shopper and I can tell you how much certain items cost in several different stores, as well as quantities offered. (Example: WalMart - most of their lower priced items are actually smaller versions) I also know quality products and will not buy from stores like Aldi.

To each their own. I pride myself on my cooking and on using fresh, quality ingredients. It is important to me to have the freshest and best when it comes to food, and discount stores typically cannot deliver. As far as items you can get at the dollar store - I used that simply as an example. I do not shop there, as I prefer real food (i.e. whole food), and they only carry processed products.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfan101 View Post
Noticed today they are building an Aldi store right in front of the BlackLion location off Park Road. Interesting spot that will most certainly get a ton of business.
I've seen a lot of activity over there lately and wondered what was going on. That's an interesting spot for sure, and kind of a clustered area already. Hope it doesn't clog it up even more!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,436,672 times
Quote:
I would not shop there. Their food is very cheap in every sense of the word. They sometimes have brand name items, but I find it akin to the brand name stuff you find at the dollar store - smaller packages or items near their expiration date.
I have to strongly dispute this.

They sell their own brands and as they are European (mostly German) generally have far fewer additives than many products in US brand grocery stores.

Their produce is cheap and better than I see in for eg Lowes.

Chocolate, cereal,chips,dip,butter, bagels, pizzas,coffee,wraps etc etc are just as good if not better than many US brands.

Sell by dates are no different than any other store.

I shop there every week and only visit other stores for a few specific things that they don't carry.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I have to strongly dispute this.

They sell their own brands and as they are European (mostly German) generally have far fewer additives than many products in US brand grocery stores.

Their produce is cheap and better than I see in for eg Lowes.

Chocolate, cereal,chips,dip,butter, bagels, pizzas,coffee,wraps etc etc are just as good if not better than many US brands.

Sell by dates are no different than any other store.

I shop there every week and only visit other stores for a few specific things that they don't carry.
Like I said, to each their own. Their food is simply not good, though I will readily admit I am a food snob! You are wrong that their products are European, though.

Also, did some digging and like I mentioned before, some are lower quality products manufactured from regular brand name companies - same stuff that WalMart, etc does to keep their generic brand prices low. The manufacturer has different levels of quality for the buyers, and the buyers choose which level to go with. Again, just because it is from the same BRAND, does not mean it is the same PRODUCT.

If you like Aldi, that is totally fine, it's just not a store for foodies.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,588,133 times
I was curious on products relabeling but I came across this and this is disturbing
Quote:

In April 2000 Aldi UK paid damages to a shop manager they had fired for being HIV-positive. Aldi reached an out-of-court settlement with Mark Hedley, former manager of the Aldi supermarket in SeahamSeaham
Seaham, formerly Seaham Harbour, is a small town in County Durham, situated south of Sunderland and east of Durham. It has a small parish church, St Mary the Virgin, with a late 7th century Anglo Saxon nave resembling the church at Escomb in many respects. St Mary the Virgin is regarded as one of...

, County DurhamCounty Durham
County Durham is a ceremonial county and unitary district in North East England. The county town is Durham. The largest settlement in the ceremonial county is the town of Darlington. The county has an industrial heritage and its economy was historically based on coal and iron mining...

, shortly before an employment tribunal hearing. Mr Hedley complained of discrimination after he was asked to leave because bosses said other staff felt uncomfortable around him. It is thought the damages paid to Mr Hedley ran to six figures.
I will choose Save a lot they carry name brand products like Dukes mayonnaise and building a distribution center in my home town up in Lexington.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,058,615 times
Coastal, Aldi IS a German store. SO, many of their brands are European.

Find pretty much the same stuff there when I go to the Aldi in England.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,847,586 times
Plus Aldi is owned by the same company that owns Trader Joes. At least they used to be, don't know if they changed hands recently.

Aldi is a hit or miss for me. I do like certain items there and they are well made in terms of taste and freshness. And prices are great.

And they definitely changed their lineups as I remember when I shopped there 4 years ago, it was horrendous. Stale, cheap and nasty. I went to the new one that opened in fort mill and it was lovely.

It's just that they don't carry the items I buy alot of so it isn't the store for me.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,960,686 times
Quote:
Absolute smear attempt on Aldi here. Just yesterday, I bought 3 gallons of milk that don't expire for 14 more days, that's April 4th-April 19th. Oh and each gallon only cost $2.29 since it was on sale, but even normally, I save at least $.20-$.50 per gallon. I cook a lot but can't always find everything at Aldi, that's when I grab the occasional item at Winn-Dixie or Publix. Aldi's quality is standard and I prefer their store brands to many of the national equivalents and use it for cooking all the time. I'm not sure how somebody with an announced bias that says herself that she would not shop at Aldi, has the weekly experience to come on here and demean it. Also Aldi pays their employees much better than Wal-Mart (and even other grocers too) while keeping costs low to the consumer. I know the person ringing me up makes at least $10 an hour as compared with $7.25 at WM. It's a considerably better starting wage for this type of labor and I wish other retail companies would follow suit.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,751,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Plus Aldi is owned by the same company that owns Trader Joes. At least they used to be, don't know if they changed hands recently.

Aldi is a hit or miss for me. I do like certain items there and they are well made in terms of taste and freshness. And prices are great.

And they definitely changed their lineups as I remember when I shopped there 4 years ago, it was horrendous. Stale, cheap and nasty. I went to the new one that opened in fort mill and it was lovely.

It's just that they don't carry the items I buy alot of so it isn't the store for me.
Aldi has 2 divisions. One division operates the Aldi stores in the US & the other owns the majority shares of Trader Joe's.

Shopping at Aldi for so many years, I have the system down pat. The standard items are there all of the time, or half of the year (seasonal), but the special purchases might be one time only or show up on a rotating basis. I've seen the employees restocking fresh pork in the refrigerator cases. They came from boxes clearly marked Smithfield. I went online to check on where I could get Cook's hams in the Charlotte area & the only place listed was Aldi.

When I first moved here, Aldi in Gastonia was busy, but the Shelby store was like a private shopping experience. The Shelby store is now so busy that they have to have 4 people on duty, just to have someone available to restock the shelves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte