Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was curious on products relabeling but I came across this and this is disturbing

I will choose Save a lot they carry name brand products like Dukes mayonnaise and building a distribution center in my home town up in Lexington.
Wow-small world, I was born in Durham city.

I shopped at Aldi for 8 years in the UK.
I won't pay over inflated prices for basics like cereal, chips, jam, etc, because I think you're paying for the packaging and the extra employees etc etc.
Plus I can't bear snobby grocery stores where no one makes eye contact and half of the staff seem like the world owes them a living.
I cannot stand Harris Teeter.

I read product labels for everything I buy and buy very little processed food.
Unfortunately here that means I don't buy a lot more than in the UK, because even things like yoghurts are "low fat" and messed with guar gum etc.
Aldis range has significantly less rubbish in it than many of the other grocery brands, and their ground coffee at $3.99 for 12oz is great.

Oh- and their mayonnaise is just as good as Dukes.

We eat very little meat or poultry and I buy fish from the local guy.

American standards on food additives and chemicals are WAY different than European standards-YES, I think standards in Europe are probably higher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Wow-small world, I was born in Durham city.

I shopped at Aldi for 8 years in the UK.
I won't pay over inflated prices for basics like cereal, chips, jam, etc, because I think you're paying for the packaging and the extra employees etc etc.
Plus I can't bear snobby grocery stores where no one makes eye contact and half of the staff seem like the world owes them a living.
I cannot stand Harris Teeter.

I read product labels for everything I buy and buy very little processed food.
Unfortunately here that means I don't buy a lot more than in the UK, because even things like yoghurts are "low fat" and messed with guar gum etc.
Aldis range has significantly less rubbish in it than many of the other grocery brands, and their ground coffee at $3.99 for 12oz is great.

Oh- and their mayonnaise is just as good as Dukes.

We eat very little meat or poultry and I buy fish from the local guy.

American standards on food additives and chemicals are WAY different than European standards-YES, I think standards in Europe are probably higher!

When I shopped at Aldi yogurt was always what I picked up every-time and the yogurt covered raisins.
The fruit & vegetables where always fresh too. Cereal at Aldi was just as good as products that im familiar with

Im disturb by
Quote:
shop manager they had fired for being HIV-positive
in Durham UK
However the Aldi in Lexington one of the managers is a manager from my first job 20 years ago who I admire her management style and at time developed me into a quality employee so Im in limbo on this fact I discovered on Aldi facts site ALDI: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
When I shopped at Aldi yogurt was always what I picked up every-time and the yogurt covered raisins.
The fruit & vegetables where always fresh too. Cereal at Aldi was just as good as products that im familiar with

Im disturb by in Durham UK
However the Aldi in Lexington one of the managers is a manager from my first job 20 years ago who I admire her management style and at time developed me into a quality employee so Im in limbo on this fact I discovered on Aldi facts site ALDI: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article
Well that did happen over 10 yrs ago when people were far more ignorant re HIV, and I could see how ALDI thought they might lose trade if customers found it, however that doesn't mean the decision was correct.
Much of the Northeast of the UK is very working class with quite strong prejudices and also lack of knowledge.
Seaham is an ex mining town.

I'm sure ALDI aren't the only store in the world to have done something like this.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM

748 posts, read 1,770,726 times
Aldi used to be "low income." Now they are nice and the prices are great. They are the first stop on our grocery list for basics. Bottom Dollar is usually second.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Really, I do care about the way that food tastes. Yes, many products in Aldi are from the USA. I listed some companies, all American brands with excellent reputations. However, many products are European. The EU has strict food standards. There are even strict standards for chocolate manufacturers. Yet the prices are cheaper on these products. Why? Buying in massive quantities. Aldi is international. Besides Europe & the US, there are Aldis in Australia.

I think that you've made your point of view clear,
An example of their stricter policies came to light last week during the dye/food coloring story last week. Many European compaines have 2 versions of their products, a European version without these dyes (that may look a little drab) and a US version with the potentially harmful dyes. But at least the US versions look nicer.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
Quote:
Well that did happen over 10 yrs ago when people were far more ignorant re HIV, and I could see how ALDI thought they might lose trade if customers found it, however that doesn't mean the decision was correct.
Much of the Northeast of the UK is very working class with quite strong prejudices and also lack of knowledge.
Seaham is an ex mining town.

I'm sure ALDI aren't the only store in the world to have done something like this.
My father-in-law is from Seaham (I'll let him know about lack of knowledge btw LOL). Anyway I love Aldi's and I shop at the Matthews store for milk, eggs, ground turkey, cereal etc. Their chocolate is fabulous and they have a British blend which is like Galaxy. I love that they don't waste bags - I hate that Walmart still double bags everything - it drives me nuts. I love how I can run in there on my way home from work, grab a few things that I need and still pay under a tenner. I cannot do that at Harris Teeter for the same items.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
My father-in-law is from Seaham (I'll let him know about lack of knowledge btw LOL). Anyway I love Aldi's and I shop at the Matthews store for milk, eggs, ground turkey, cereal etc. Their chocolate is fabulous and they have a British blend which is like Galaxy. I love that they don't waste bags - I hate that Walmart still double bags everything - it drives me nuts. I love how I can run in there on my way home from work, grab a few things that I need and still pay under a tenner. I cannot do that at Harris Teeter for the same items.

Sorry!
Wasn't meant in a derogatory way, that's way I didn't say ignorance, and I meant lack of education 10 yrs ago regarding HIV and AIDS.
I used to work at Seaham Hall when they did the open heart surgery there.

Again-no disrespect meant and totally agree re bags at grocery stores. I don't let them pack for me even if I go elsewhere as I can't bear this 3 items per bag thing they do!

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 04-06-2011 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
Quote:
Sorry!
Wasn't meant in a derogatory way, that's way I didn't say ignorance, and I meant lack of education 10 yrs ago regarding HIV and AIDS.
I used to work at Seaham Hall when they did the open heart surgery there.

Again-no disrespect meant and totally agree re bags at grocery stores. I don't let them pack for me even if I go elsewhere as I can't bear this 3 items per bag thing they do!
No offense taken just thought I would tell you my link with Seaham. I actually got engaged there and was there last year at the Roker Hotel - on my way to a Sunderland game. My F-I-L was a miner way back in the day at the Easington Collery I think. Small world.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 AM

13 posts, read 26,297 times
Default love Aldi

We love Aldi and wish there was one here.. Prices are always good, and if you get the schedule of produce delivery down, you can get some really great savings and good food. As we learned when to go, it was a little better, but we never went away empty handed. Sometimes it was a little understocked on what we wanted, and other times much better. The cost savings were great on some items, not as good on others. After you go a time or 2 and price compare you'll figure out what works for you. We bought cereal, milk, vegetables when they were fresh, some meats, cheeses, and canned goods. not as much meat, but some, and

My wife loved it too, but didn't like bagging her own w/more than one or 2 kids in tow.. Now the kids are older and can help more though.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
You can usually save 20% on average. Our Aldi's is fairly clean. I just wish they would cut out the junk they sell in the middle of the store and expand the produce variety... Also hire more cashiers. I'm seeing their business really pick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte