Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:02 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

What's the difference? I'd like a short description comparing each. Which is more affordable, which has more to offer as far as stores, restaurants, nightlife, low crime? Which offers, if any, a small home on around an acre around 100K in a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
  • Birkdale Village is a planned community within Huntersville. The actual community only contains apartments on top of the shopping. Nearby are the Greens of Birkdale village with is a Truman Show-esk type of community that you can walk to. Across Hwy 73 is the Birkdale golf course community (it predates BV) which contains homes across a wide range of price ranges.
  • Mooresville is the largest town of the 4 you mention. As a result there is probably more crime there, but there are areas where you will never see it.
  • Davidson is the most quaint but also the most expensive.
  • Huntersville is the closest commute to Charlotte.
  • There isn't a huge difference between Cornelius and Huntersville.
With the exception of East Mooresville and a few sections elsewhere, these are all very upscale areas relatively speaking. You will not find any single family homes on 1 acre lots for anywhere close to $100K. It's not unusual to see people paying upwards of $1/2 million for a 1/4 acre lot though I would put the median price for this around $250K.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:38 PM

105 posts, read 194,182 times
There are plenty of short sales/foreclosures, if we had the time to wait we really could have found ourselves a steal. I think you could find what you're looking for...may be nest to seek out a realtor. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Haven't been here very long, but yantosh's descriptions seem to be accurate from what I've seen so far (I do drive around a lot as part of my job). Here's my $0.02...I just moved to an apartment in Cornelius, and this area seems to have everything you need as far as grocery stores, drug stores, and restaurants, but if you need any big box stores like Target, Lowes, etc., you need to go to Huntersville or Mooresville (which I don't mind and obviously isn't far at all). There's definitely a good amount of expensive homes around here, but also some more affordable ones as well. Don't think you'll find anything on an acre in Cornelius (or Davidson) for less than $100K, but I did a search on realtor.com for all the towns you mentioned and it came up with 6 results (5 of which were in Mooresville), so it does exist. Of course, as you mentioned, they will be small houses and most likely need some work. You didn't say anything about the lake in your post, but of course all of these places are near the lake so I'm assuming that's at least part of what interested in these areas. However, as yantosh basically alluded to, those search results were all east of I-77 and not necessarily that close to the lake. If you expand your search north or west (Denver, Sherrills Ford, Troutman) you should have a couple more options.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
In Cornelius and Huntersville when you get away from the upscale subdivisions there is a lot of rural territory with modest homes. There are many homes on the market for $100k and less. (well... maybe not "many" but there are some) The problem is I think it will be difficult to find a home + 1 acre for $100k because of land values.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times
All the 100K houses in Mooresville will be in the Mill Town area near downtown Mooresville.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
All the 100K houses in Mooresville will be in the Mill Town area near downtown Mooresville.
Is that area nice? Also, how do I get there?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
These won't be on 1 acre lots. However if you want to see them, head up Hwy 115 into Mooresville. When you get to Dingler Ave, turn right and start looking around.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I agree with everyone. Something on 1 acre is likely going to be an old, single-wide trailer. I tried (and managed) to stay under 120K in Mooresville. However, it took a lot of waiting (I bought a foreclosure), a lot of work, and I live on .16 acres.
Statesville, Salisbury, Kannapolis, or Gastonia are going to be a bit more doable in that price range.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post

Where exactly are you referring to, Roxie? Is that the area across the tracks, by the golf course?

I looked at a small rental property back in the "other side" of Mecklenburg Hwy. Couldn't wait to get out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte