Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I guess maybe everyone is different but for me I notice a HUGE change in how much comfortable it feels plus I can breath much easier.
Each his/her own I guess.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I hear you south...well, Connecticut is a much different world than South Jersey is .. I think we started from different places.
Actually, I have very distant memories of the summers that you speak of. I'm a Michigan native.

I spent most of my life in South Jersey & summers are usually ghastly. In the tristate area (Philadelphia & PA suburbs, South Jersey, & northern Delaware), as you make your rounds to shop & get into conversations with strangers during June, July, & August, the weather is usually referred to as ghastly or beastly & each year several people during that time will refer to the region as the armpit of the nation (concerning summer weather). The humidity there is usually compared to Savannah without the sea breezes. Every summer the Philly TV stations give a daily death count from the heat. My family acclimated to it quickly because there was no A/C in most homes & even a lot of public places back then.

I tracked the weather here, because I wanted no ugly surprises. So far, so good.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Every summer the Philly TV stations give a daily death count from the heat....
Daily Death Count?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Daily Death Count?
Yup, they get it from the coroners &/or hospitals in the area. They report the heat-related deaths in the area every night during the news.

It's a summer tradition.

I was surprised that it's not done here.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Ok everybody... What've your electric bills been like because of the heat? Mine tripled last month.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, I have very distant memories of the summers that you speak of. I'm a Michigan native.

I spent most of my life in South Jersey & summers are usually ghastly. In the tristate area (Philadelphia & PA suburbs, South Jersey, & northern Delaware), as you make your rounds to shop & get into conversations with strangers during June, July, & August, the weather is usually referred to as ghastly or beastly & each year several people during that time will refer to the region as the armpit of the nation (concerning summer weather). The humidity there is usually compared to Savannah without the sea breezes. Every summer the Philly TV stations give a daily death count from the heat. My family acclimated to it quickly because there was no A/C in most homes & even a lot of public places back then.

I tracked the weather here, because I wanted no ugly surprises. So far, so good.
Savannah in August is worse, much worse..its gross./...haha...ahh..we will just keep battling

Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yup, they get it from the coroners &/or hospitals in the area. They report the heat-related deaths in the area every night during the news.

It's a summer tradition.

I was surprised that it's not done here.
That is not as much from excessive heat as NO AIR CONDITIONING.... if we didnt have air conditioning here there would be worse body counts . One thing the south does well is air conditioning I truly give you guys credit for that...everywhere is prepared..during heat waves up north...not true.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
That is not as much from excessive heat as NO AIR CONDITIONING.... if we didnt have air conditioning here there would be worse body counts . One thing the south does well is air conditioning I truly give you guys credit for that...everywhere is prepared..during heat waves up north...not true.
LOL, there are many homes built before the Civil War. Sometimes it's no A/C, sometimes it's broken A/C. At least one or two elderly individuals turn on a fan & forget to turn on the window A/C or open a window &, for all intents & purposes, convection-cook themselves each year. Many times it's people who have to work outdoors in the heat.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
It's true... so many of my friends and family in downstate NY to this day don't have central ac. They typically will have a window unit in the bedroom - if anything. It's not uncommon to see box fans in windows all around the house... and we're talking 30 to 40 year old houses here. Windows and insulation are nowhere near up to par with today. Insanely inefficient. AC costs a fortune.

The heat is also completely out of whack... 110+ in Minneapolis, LI was touching 100 a couple of weeks ago. You can say what you want about it being insane in the Charlotte metro, but I wouldn't want to be on the Atlantic coast going into this hurricane season. It could get really scary this Fall.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Savannah in August is worse, much worse..its gross./...haha...ahh..we will just keep battling
Well, I've never been to Savannah, but have worked with quite a few meteorologists & that's where I got the analogy. Remember the Bermuda high spends a lot of the summer in that area, plus the proximity to so much water. I've yet to experience anything here that can hold a candle to that area when the Bermuda high comes in & just sits there for weeks at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte