Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Honestly, I don't think you will find a native Southerner who really cares about the weather in NY. In addition, the people from the NE here now know what they moved from and I've not run into many in the last 30 years who wish to return to the snow & ice.

I do think there are plenty from the NE however that moved to CLT looking for the promised land, seeing greener grass, did it because everyone else was doing it, and/or thought that moving would solve their issues, marriages, whatever. Once reality caught up with them, they now blame the weather because it didn't turn out as they expected and the weather is an easy excuse for returning to the places they came from

Anyone else here who would move for the weather, would head West.
Not everyone is complaining about the weather, I think we all realize that..just had to throw that in there.

Some actually don't think the summer is much different except longer in duration. I gladly will take a month or two longer of heat to enjoy the MORE FREQUENT sunny days in the winter/late fall (and the LONGER daylight hours...) Its that darkness thing, ya know.....frequent cloudy days makes one depressed (which the closer you go to the major metros up north, the cloudier the days are in the winter because of clouds and squalls from lake ontario.....)

Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Not everyone is complaining about the weather, I think we all realize that..just had to throw that in there.

Some actually don't think the summer is much different except longer in duration. I gladly will take a month or two longer of heat to enjoy the MORE FREQUENT sunny days in the winter/late fall (and the LONGER daylight hours...) Its that darkness thing, ya know.....frequent cloudy days makes one depressed (which the closer you go to the major metros up north, the cloudier the days are in the winter because of clouds and squalls from lake ontario.....)
For me, summer's about the same, in all respects, but spring comes a bit earlier.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:

Love cloudy cool days! Best kind of weather...not to bust your theory but the Lakes have VERY LITTLE to do with cloud cover in the major metros..there are MANY sunny days in the north in winter.

Now Buffalo or Rochester or Syracuse...yes mostly cloudy days..

Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
not to bust your theory but the Lakes have VERY LITTLE to do with cloud cover in the major metros..there are MANY sunny days in the north in winter.

Now Buffalo or Rochester or Syracuse...yes mostly cloudy days..
Not so. Lake effect has a HUGE influence not just on the cities close to hte lakes, but also cities like NYC and Phily. Whenever a STRONG cold front comes through in the winter, you typically get alot of lake effect clouds (down as far south as the delmarva)

Many times the precip (ie Lake effect snows) only goes as far down as say Binghamton or NW NJ, but the lingering clouds are a huge factor for much of the northeast. That's typically why you add to the more frequent cloudy days......

Only when those strong NNW winds die down is when things usually start to "clear" out.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Not so. Lake effect has a HUGE influence not just on the cities close to hte lakes, but also cities like NYC and Phily. Whenever a STRONG cold front comes through in the winter, you typically get alot of lake effect clouds (down as far south as the delmarva)

Many times the precip (ie Lake effect snows) only goes as far down as say Binghamton or NW NJ, but the lingering clouds are a huge factor for much of the northeast. That's typically why you add to the more frequent cloudy days......

Only when those strong NNW winds die down is when things usually start to "clear" out.
It has VERY MINIMAL effect on the NY city area Jack..i lived there...I know. Yes some clouds make it down but precip is very rare and honestly all the metros actually have high sunny day ratios in winter. What do think its the frozen tundra up there? When we have north northwest winds it CLEAR...you are way off here.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:

I remember back in the day Binghamton being the 2nd most overcast city in the country behind Seattle. Probably exactly what you're talking about here.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:

Sorry, Jack, but lake effect has zero effect in Philly. It can wreak havoc out further, but not in town. 9o% of all snow when I was in South Jersey came up from the Carolinas. The weather reports track it. Occasionally something that sneaks through the mountains in WVA turns up & gets mostly the western suburbs of Philly. Snow in South Jersey is always up in the air. It's never absolute until it hits Wilmington, DE.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:22 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:

I think you are thinking about western PA.....Pittsburgh is the pitts! My best half lived in both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and the later was down right depressing.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
114 degrees today in Fort Smith Arkansas... Thats nutty .. 77 in Connecticut ,....ahhh...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Hopefully with all this rains, the heats will cools downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte