Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 AM

29 posts, read 244,730 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'll be coming to visit Charlotte pretty soon. I've never been there before. Could someone point out to me areas that I want to stay out of? In Raleigh, I found out it's south area. But I can't find anything on Charlotte. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2006, 02:06 PM

58 posts, read 344,441 times
I'm not too sure of what areas are "bad." I'm pretty sure it is everywhere but south Charlotte. If you are planning on visiting for pleasure I would stay in Center City. There is a lot of things to do within walking distance of most hotels there and I have never had any problems there. Charlotte is ranked 132 in the US for it's crime rate, it is above the national average in every area. Check out this site:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Well, I don't want to be politically incorrect, or offend anyone, I just meant like ghetto areas, but the ones where something is most likely to happen to you. I'm from Milwaukee, and our North side or very South side would not be the places that I would ever recomend a visitor to go to. That's all I meant. Thanks for URL. I'm just about to check it out.

By the way, by "Center City" did you mean downtown or is that some area around Charlotte? Sorry, it might sound like a stupid question, but I've never been there. Thanks!

Last edited by aleksandra33; 04-14-2006 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-14-2006, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 344,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33
By the way, by "Center City" did you mean downtown or is that some area around Charlotte? Sorry, it might sound like a stupid question, but I've never been there. Thanks!

Center city is uptown Charlotte, they don't call it downtown here for some reason. It is exactly what it sounds like, center city. I have stayed there quite a few nights and it is walking distance to a lot of the bars, clubs, resturants, museums, etc. By walking distance I mean within 2 or 3 blocks. I think every big city has "ghettos" in every area or at least where I have been. Most of Charlotte is pretty nice I have only been worried a handful of times when I explored too deep off the main paths. But still, nothing bad has happened to me while I was there.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 PM

I'm actually in Charlotte as we speak, and I gotta tell you, it's not nearly as segregated as Milwaukee. I really hate that about Milwaukee, but here it's really nice. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-15-2006, 01:52 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times
I hope you enjoy your trip!! I'll be following you in-suit shortly.........
~Angela

Old 08-15-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandra33
Hi. I'll be coming to visit Charlotte pretty soon. I've never been there before. Could someone point out to me areas that I want to stay out of? In Raleigh, I found out it's south area. But I can't find anything on Charlotte. Thanks.
Some people have mentioned to me, realtors and such, that western Charlotte tends to be more crime-ridden. There are also older, less renovated homes out there. This does neccessarily include Gastonia which is beginning to come out of that!

North Charlotte, South of Charlotte and East Charlotte (most $$) are supposed to be the safer areas. Personally I would choose Matthews....

I hope this helps!

It's a hard question to ask because so many people are uptight about what one "might have meant by that". Forget them!!!! Crime is crime is crime. It's everyone's right to know.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:01 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,886 times
West and North West Charlotte are areas you would want to avoid.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues
West and North West Charlotte are areas you would want to avoid.

What cities would you consider NW would that be Gastonia? or would you consider Gastonia west not NW?

Old 08-15-2006, 06:08 PM

Gastonia would be far west.

BUT let me Edit my previous post to say NOT neccesarily Gastonia!!! I will go edit that now...!! I have heard conflicting messages about the safety of Gastonia however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte