Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,518,874 times

Advertisements

Where does the University area rank in your guys list as "unsafe"

Specifically the corner of Harris and IBM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:40 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,926,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Not unsafe, especially during the day Closer to the University there are issues but that is mostly in apartment complexes (which make good targets for criminals).

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,640,713 times
Is this a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,454,882 times
We used to live right by W.T. Harris and IBM Drive (or whatever it's called). It's just fine.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,352 times
Lightbulb relocating

I am relocating and i am not sure of what part of Charlotte is not good to move to, can some one please advise me of good areas in Charlotte i am call home.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM

236 posts, read 553,958 times
Southpark, Dilworth, some areas of the south, southeast, and southwest can be spotted. From reading the postings the north side of charlotte seems to be ok. What I cannot understand why more people do not get involved in there community? Can Angela and ask her for help. Here is the website: http://search.apartmenthomestlc.com/search_confirmation.html (broken link) Click on the home link then click on begin search. Hope this helps. Welcome to North Carolina!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM

446 posts, read 832,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk View Post
I'm not too sure of what areas are "bad." I'm pretty sure it is everywhere but south Charlotte. If you are planning on visiting for pleasure I would stay in Center City. There is a lot of things to do within walking distance of most hotels there and I have never had any problems there. Charlotte is ranked 132 in the US for it's crime rate, it is above the national average in every area. Check out this site:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

EVERYWHERE BUT south Charlotte? GIVE me a break!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,723,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
We used to live right by W.T. Harris and IBM Drive (or whatever it's called). It's just fine.
Strangely enough...the crime rate in that area dropped dramatically soon after Hooligan moved away from there

Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,988,166 times
To me, a bad area is where you have that: "hope there are no stray bullets" kind of unease. Beatty's Ford (intown), Mt Holly road (intown), the Plaza/Milton area (east side). When you see boarded-up buildings, and a general lack of retail other than check cashing and liquor stores, it's clear that an area has problems, because nobody is investing there.

The other streets mentioned, like Eastway or Nations Ford are scruffy looking areas, but not the level of "am I safe even driving through here". At least they have residents, functioning gas stations, etc. For that reason I can't put Graham street or North Tryon in the first category either. Yes, they have a lot of junky-looking businesses, but there is functioning commerce at least.

Of course, anyone from Flint, Gary, Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit would laugh at our perceptions of "bad" areas.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 01-13-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 AM

95 posts, read 244,298 times
Default Check out it out

[quote=Ms. relocation;12428874]I am relocating and i am not sure of what part of Charlotte is not good to move to, can some one please advise me of good areas in Charlotte i am call home.[/quote

Please check the crime reports, there seems to be so much bias it is crazy on this site. Here is a brief lesson in Charlotte. Charlotte has grown by the annexation of small surrounding cities and as a result NO ONE can say one area is better then another with such broad strokes. Part of South Charlotte including the area with the Dilworth Rapist has really bad crime stats but if you travel 2 miles there is very little crime. Part of Beatties Ford Road has terrible crime but if you travel to the Northlake area their is very little crime and people still keep there doors open.
Most of the forum people don't understand Charlotte and travel in very limited geographic areas, so most of the time in IMO, they are not even close to being accurate relative to there communities outside of there worlds.
Check it out for yourself, I think you will be surprised how inaccurate most of the people are on this site.
I would also check out davidson/huntersville/cornelius/ Fort Mill and Mint Hill which are bedroom communities to Charlotte depending on where you will be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte