Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If needed would you use toll lanes
Yes 8 19.05%
No 27 64.29%
Maybe 7 16.67%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,634 times

Advertisements

We're really considering this while I-85 is still two lanes and has the smoothness of a cobblestone road from Concord Mills all the way out to Salisbury? Let's try bringing our existing roads up to snuff before taking on a project on the only stretch of highway in metro Charlotte that is modernized as it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Maybe they'll finally finish the 485 beltway and then widen 77 up to Statesville, therby alleviating a chunk of the traffic, before worrying about Lexus lanes.

The only time I'll use the pay lanes on 77 is if I'm on my motorcycle. I'm not paying taxes twice to ride it in my other vehicles.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Here's the transponder information. Sure, Why Not?: Have EZ-Pass, TxTag, or SunPass - Don't worry NCTA will take 'em all & Drivers to have options on tolls - Traffic - NewsObserver.com

After you read both links it makes sense that they want to do this. North Carolina has discovered toll roads (or how to nickel & dime drivers to the max).

Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM

364 posts, read 635,459 times
Can they not finish one project before starting another (*ahem *ahem ... 485). Also, why is it that our roads are so dark 485 or 77? This seems like a lot of money spent to implement it and I would think many would not use it or would try to find away around it to use it for free.

By the way I am ok with toll roads (at a reasonable price per mile) if our vehicle taxes are done away with and/or inspections,etc. But I would imagine they are just looking for yet another revenue builder...why would they take one away from their pool of money.

In the mist of the work to be done on Independence/Monroe and the streetcar line...can't our city complete things as I am afraid they will all get partly done and they will be moving on to other projects.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
Can they not finish one project before starting another (*ahem *ahem ... 485). Also, why is it that our roads are so dark 485 or 77? This seems like a lot of money spent to implement it and I would think many would not use it or would try to find away around it to use it for free.

By the way I am ok with toll roads (at a reasonable price per mile) if our vehicle taxes are done away with and/or inspections,etc. But I would imagine they are just looking for yet another revenue builder...why would they take one away from their pool of money.

In the mist of the work to be done on Independence/Monroe and the streetcar line...can't our city complete things as I am afraid they will all get partly done and they will be moving on to other projects.
Read the 2 links that I posted & you will understand where they are coming from. Once you have that information, it all makes perfect sense.

Don't complain. You are getting 485 finished faster because they took the money that was for Kings Mountain & Shelby, for a double bypass that people had waited over 10 years for & was scheduled to start this year & gave it to speed up the completion of 485. Wait your turn for the rest.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM

364 posts, read 635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Read the 2 links that I posted & you will understand where they are coming from. Once you have that information, it all makes perfect sense.

Don't complain. You are getting 485 finished faster because they took the money that was for Kings Mountain & Shelby, for a double bypass that people had waited over 10 years for & was scheduled to start this year & gave it to speed up the completion of 485. Wait your turn for the rest.
Yeah I know it does make sense I guess. Just seems like Charlotte sometimes doesn't focus on one or two things to get them done right before they move on to something else or wanting to update or change what they just finished or are still working on.

Does anyone think their longterm goal maybe to toll 77 100%? Just wondering others opinions. I will say I love 485 and 77 to me doesn't seem to be as bad as others make it out to be (but I think I have traffic patterns in my favor). Weren't they talking about a toll on 85 from Gastonia into Charlotte also (haven't heard much about it lately though). Oh well, they are gonna do what they want to do anyways it seems.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
I was in Atlanta last weekend and we didn't see a single car in the express lane the entire time we were there. Have they looked to see if these lanes are worth it? I imagine more people use them during rush hour, but they still seem useless to me.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
Yeah I know it does make sense I guess. Just seems like Charlotte sometimes doesn't focus on one or two things to get them done right before they move on to something else or wanting to update or change what they just finished or are still working on.

Does anyone think their longterm goal maybe to toll 77 100%? Just wondering others opinions. I will say I love 485 and 77 to me doesn't seem to be as bad as others make it out to be (but I think I have traffic patterns in my favor). Weren't they talking about a toll on 85 from Gastonia into Charlotte also (haven't heard much about it lately though). Oh well, they are gonna do what they want to do anyways it seems.
No, I think it would just be the express lanes. It's not Charlotte doing this on 77. It may be a collaboration of NCDOT & the Turnpike Authority. They aren't planning to toll 85 to Gastonia. That's the Garden Parkway that meanders from 485 to Bessemer City. The only "good" that that will do is line a couple of politicians pockets. North Carolina Turnpike Authority: Garden Parkway Ya gotta give these guys a gold star for hutzpah. A toll road to Bessemer City. . .

Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here's the transponder information. Sure, Why Not?: Have EZ-Pass, TxTag, or SunPass - Don't worry NCTA will take 'em all & Drivers to have options on tolls - Traffic - NewsObserver.com

After you read both links it makes sense that they want to do this. North Carolina has discovered toll roads (or how to nickel & dime drivers to the max).
It doesn't list my I-Pass, but, since I can use the I-Pass in places that have the EZPass, I would assume that it would work...

However, I doubt that it would discount the tolls like my I-Pass does in IL.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
It doesn't list my I-Pass, but, since I can use the I-Pass in places that have the EZPass, I would assume that it would work...

However, I doubt that it would discount the tolls like my I-Pass does in IL.
I think that your I-Pass is EZPass for Illinois. E-ZPass - Information

ETA: Yup, click here. http://www.e-zpassiag.com/component/...16-get-e-zpass

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-04-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte