Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
OMG....you have no idea.......They come from out of nowhere.

- Imagine how others feel about driving the speed limit and watching
someone run up and pass them at 75mph. 60 mph is pushing it. 75 is NASCAR Boogoodie, boogoodie, boogoodie!
Show me someone not doing 60 on stretches of Independence.... 50mph in some parts and you are in danger of not moving with the flow of traffic.

Obviously she got a ticket, so she doesn't need a "hall monitor" pointing it out again, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
Never heard of taking a lawyer to Traffic Court LOL...

Must be different in your State, because Ohio, they just show up, and pay the fine, and Court Cost.
Course, your gonna have something on your lisence, points, but a lawyer cant get them off either.

Nope, never had a speeding ticket in my life, but, I have been to Court just to observe the proceedings... I find it 'entertaining' the thing people will claim, and do, to avoid paying a ticket!!

Just drive the speed limit and never get a ticket Simple eh? When, in most States, they 'let' you go 5mph over the speed limit, THEN, decide if they want to pull you over for any trumpted up charge..So, I never do, and I never have to worry Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but 39 years with out a ticket and counting

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Never heard of taking a lawyer to Traffic Court LOL...

Must be different in your State, because Ohio, they just show up, and pay the fine, and Court Cost.
Course, your gonna have something on your lisence, points, but a lawyer cant get them off either.

Nope, never had a speeding ticket in my life...
Then why bother posting in this thread?
Unfortunately some of us have some rather extensive experience in this matter.
Sitting in on proceedings in Ohio and never having had a ticket certainly does not make you an qualified to help the OP.

But I will give you major kudos for being from the hometown of Dean Martin.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM

628 posts, read 2,078,779 times
Personally...i am not a big fan of attorneys. However, you will recieve tons of letters from attorney's in the mail soon. If you hire one (I had to for a ticket my wife recieved) you pay the attorney...he goes to court for you and meets with the DA. If you have no previous tickets...it will be knocked down to a equipment violation. It will cost you approximatly: $125 for the attorney, and about $200 in court fees and fines. After he goes to court, you will have 30 days to submit payment.

There will be no points on the license. Everyone wins...the state gets it's money...the attorney gets his money...you save money on insurance. the insurance company is the only one that loses. it's kind of like the attorneys have created their own industry be being in with the DA's.

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 12-01-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
At 25 over the limit, you could lose your license. There's a reason the LEO didn't write you for less than you were actually going. Most LEOs will do that to help you out, but yours didn't. That's not a good sign. This isn't a simple traffic school and PJC situation, not yet anyway. You definitely need a lawyer.
That's what I was thinking. The officer didn't offer driving school and the chance at a PJC; that doesn't bode well.

I did hire a lawyer and did the "malfunctioning equipment" thing, years ago, when I had been boogying down the road in my little truck. It was costly, but much LESS costly than years of higher insurance.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Personally...i am not a big fan of attorneys. However, you will recieve tons of letters from attorney's in the mail soon. If you hire one (I had to for a ticket my wife recieved) you pay the attorney...he goes to court for you and meets with the DA. If you have no previous tickets...it will be knocked down to a equipment violation. It will cost you approximatly: $125 for the attorney, and about $200 in court fees and fines. After he goes to court, you will have 30 days to submit payment.

There will be no points on the license. Everyone wins...the state gets it's money...the attorney gets his money...you save money on insurance. the insurance company is the only one that loses. it's kind of like the attorneys have created their own industry be being in with the DA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
That's what I was thinking. The officer didn't offer driving school and the chance at a PJC; that doesn't bode well.

I did hire a lawyer and did the "malfunctioning equipment" thing, years ago, when I had been boogying down the road in my little truck. It was costly, but much LESS costly than years of higher insurance.
Some insurance companies have ticket forgiveness, but I don't know how that works, or if it can be applied with this severe a ticket.

From DMV.org:

Speeding
Your license will be suspended for a minimum of 30 days if caught driving over the speed limit by 15 mph when traveling at 55 mph or faster.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Show me someone not doing 60 on stretches of Independence.... 50mph in some parts and you are in danger of not moving with the flow of traffic.

Obviously she got a ticket, so she doesn't need a "hall monitor" pointing it out again, lol.
Depends on what part of Independence! You're lucky if you could get up to that speed with all the traffic lights on some sections.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I got a ticket about 5 or 6 years ago going 14 over. The officer told me about the PJC and so I took the class and paid a fine. (I do not believe my insurance was ever affected). Total cost for class and fine was appx. $250.

A friend recently got a ticket going 9 over. He paid an attorney and had the charge reduced to improper equipment. (I was shocked at the fine and was told that fines were recently increased!) I think the total cost was appx. $450.

I may be wrong but I don't think you are eligible for PJC if the ticket is for more than 15 over? Can anyone verify that? I would certainly get an attorney because the increase in insurance over the next few years could be astronomical.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM

310 posts, read 672,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

What this guy said, 1000x over. So sick of coming into speeding ticket threads and seeing people drag their soap boxes out. Get over yourself, Mike.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Get an attorney. Well worth it. Last ticket I had was on 77 55 zone think he got me for going 70. I felt a bit lucky and just showed up on my hearing date. DA goes 3 options. 1 take it to trail. 2 can give you a prayer for judgement and you have to take a class. 3 i can reduce it down to 5 over and you pay the fine no points on your license. i choose option 3.

Wife gets a ticket on 277 for speeding. 2 weeks later she is going up 77 to huntersville and we get into an argument on the phone. Taffic stops and she is mad. She decides to drive on the shoulder and pass people.(I know I know what was she thinking?) Well she didnt get too far. When she called the lawyer that she hired for the first he was happy. He said it gave him more to work with. He got the one charge completely thrown out for passing on the shoulder and the speeding reduced to 5 over again. Well worth the money. When she give me his name tonight i will post it. He rocks. Worked in the da's office before, so he really knows them well. dont know how he did it nor do i care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte