Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,588,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Never heard of taking a lawyer to Traffic Court LOL...

Must be different in your State, because Ohio, they just show up, and pay the fine, and Court Cost.
Course, your gonna have something on your lisence, points, but a lawyer cant get them off either.

Nope, never had a speeding ticket in my life, but, I have been to Court just to observe the proceedings... I find it 'entertaining' the thing people will claim, and do, to avoid paying a ticket!!

Just drive the speed limit and never get a ticket Simple eh? When, in most States, they 'let' you go 5mph over the speed limit, THEN, decide if they want to pull you over for any trumpted up charge..So, I never do, and I never have to worry Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but 39 years with out a ticket and counting

I wish you well...

Jesse
No point to this post at all. good for you for being one of those people that drive so slow that your a bigger hazard than people who speed excessively!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,145,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
No point to this post at all. good for you for being one of those people that drive so slow that your a bigger hazard than people who speed excessively!
That's completely idiotic. Driving the speed limit is not driving so slow that you are creating a hazard.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,376,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Some insurance companies have ticket forgiveness, but I don't know how that works, or if it can be applied with this severe a ticket.

From DMV.org:

Speeding
Your license will be suspended for a minimum of 30 days if caught driving over the speed limit by 15 mph when traveling at 55 mph or faster.
In NC, all carriers are the same, there is no real thing as "accident forgiveness" or "ticket forgiveness. Points are determined by the state, carriers have to surcharge for them, although some surcharges are more than others.

-Any accident below $1,800 with NO bodily damage, you get one free pass.
-A speeding ticket 9 or below, one free pass. (so take this before taking a PJC)
-One PJC per HOUSEHOLD every three years.

BUT, each still count as an incident, so if you have multiple of these, an carrier will still count these as two "incidents", and a preferred carrier will probably pass.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
In NC, all carriers are the same, there is no real thing as "accident forgiveness" or "ticket forgiveness. Points are determined by the state, carriers have to surcharge for them, although some surcharges are more than others.

-Any accident below $1,800 with NO bodily damage, you get one free pass.
-A speeding ticket 9 or below, one free pass. (so take this before taking a PJC)
-One PJC per HOUSEHOLD every three years.

BUT, each still count as an incident, so if you have multiple of these, an carrier will still count these as two "incidents", and a preferred carrier will probably pass.

exactly. you can get no points but its still on your insurance. for 5 years as well.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM

61 posts, read 147,132 times
NC doesn't mess around with this stuff. I have never heard of a license suspension for 15 over, but that is what happens in NC. I would either get the lawyer and have it thrown out or talk to the PA yourself and work it out beforehand, ala option 3 posted above. You do not want to simply pay the fine as charged - ever. Been there and done that and never again.

And yes - doing the speed limit in most places, including Charlotte makes you a hazard. Nobody rolls at 45 on Hwy 51, 16, etc. If you do you will get rear-ended.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
That's completely idiotic. Driving the speed limit is not driving so slow that you are creating a hazard.
You know I love people who call posts stupid or idiotic. Seriously do you drive the speed limit? I've met very few that do. Most who do, are old and a hazard on the road. I would say the vast majority drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit.

Seriously how often do you see someone going the speedlimit on the interstate? When you do all you see is car after car dodging to get out of the way. thus creating danger.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 PM

373 posts, read 712,286 times
If you have no other speeding convictions on your record your best bet is to go to court and explain that you really didn't mean to be going that fast and ask for a reduction in the speed charge. If you are nice and the cop does not have a problem with it you will not lose your license and only get 1 or 2 points. It will be hard for a lawyer to get you a better deal.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,145,113 times
Quote:
You know I love people who call posts stupid or idiotic. Seriously do you drive the speed limit? I've met very few that do. Most who do, are old and a hazard on the road. I would say the vast majority drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit.

Seriously how often do you see someone going the speedlimit on the interstate? When you do all you see is car after car dodging to get out of the way. thus creating danger.
Yes, I do drive the speed limit, and I don't create hazards. I stay to the right unless I have ample passing room. I've never been in or caused an accident. I don't ever see people dodging me to get out of the way - most just coast on by. We don't live in MarioKart land, you know. I'm in my mid-30s, and I know I'm not the norm. I have a perfect driving record, and at this point I've gotten kind of obsessed with keeping it, haha!

But this thread isn't about me. I don't want to hijack it.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Yes, I do drive the speed limit, and I don't create hazards. I stay to the right unless I have ample passing room. I've never been in or caused an accident. I don't ever see people dodging me to get out of the way - most just coast on by. We don't live in MarioKart land, you know. I'm in my mid-30s, and I know I'm not the norm. I have a perfect driving record, and at this point I've gotten kind of obsessed with keeping it, haha!

But this thread isn't about me. I don't want to hijack it.
Yes very unusual for sure. Trust me your ticking a lot of people off out there if cruising the 45 and 35 zones at the speed limit lol. No sense you even posting here since you never had a ticket. Knock on wood. one ticket in the last 10 years. try to keep it 10 and under!

I will say its amazing you never been in a wreck. I've been rear ended 3 times in a 11 years in charlotte. 2 of those were slight bumps and no damage, but I still count them. People should have control of the cars! You can see them coming too!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,029,374 times
Quote:
Yes very unusual for sure. Trust me your ticking a lot of people off out there if cruising the 45 and 35 zones at the speed limit lol. No sense you even posting here since you never had a ticket. Knock on wood. one ticket in the last 10 years. try to keep it 10 and under!

I will say its amazing you never been in a wreck. I've been rear ended 3 times in a 11 years in charlotte. 2 of those were slight bumps and no damage, but I still count them. People should have control of the cars! You can see them coming too!
So, you fail to see the connection between driving defensively, at the speed limit and never getting a ticket or getting into an accident? Why should someone put themselves at risk of a wasteful ticket or an accident just so you can avoid "ticking off" jackass drivers who aren't patient enough to slow down 5 miles an hour or just pass. We'll meet you at the next stoplight anyway.

At any rate, George Laughrun is the best lawyer in Charlotte. Pricey and a tad slimy, but the kind of back-slapping, friend-of-all-the-judges scheister you need in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte