Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
So, you fail to see the connection between driving defensively, at the speed limit and never getting a ticket or getting into an accident? Why should someone put themselves at risk of a wasteful ticket or an accident just so you can avoid "ticking off" jackass drivers who aren't patient enough to slow down 5 miles an hour or just pass. We'll meet you at the next stoplight anyway.

At any rate, George Laughrun is the best lawyer in Charlotte. Pricey and a tad slimy, but the kind of back-slapping, friend-of-all-the-judges scheister you need in this situation.
Driving the speed limit has no bearing on not getting into an accident. Sure it can lower your risk from getting into one, but you can't control what other people do, that's my point. I've been rear-ended 3 times in 11 years. 2 times I was stopped at the stop light and the other I was going under the speed limit on 77, and yes I do speed when conditions allow.

If your in your 30's or 40's and never been in an accident you either don't drive much, or have been very very lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
exactly. you can get no points but its still on your insurance. for 5 years as well.
3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
If you have no other speeding convictions on your record your best bet is to go to court and explain that you really didn't mean to be going that fast and ask for a reduction in the speed charge. If you are nice and the cop does not have a problem with it you will not lose your license and only get 1 or 2 points. It will be hard for a lawyer to get you a better deal.
1 or 2 points... that will cost you more in the long run. She needs to come away with no tickets.... lawyer can do that for you.

Quote:
Driving the speed limit has no bearing on not getting into an accident. Sure it can lower your risk from getting into one, but you can't control what other people do, that's my point. I've been rear-ended 3 times in 11 years. 2 times I was stopped at the stop light and the other I was going under the speed limit on 77, and yes I do speed when conditions allow.

If your in your 30's or 40's and never been in an accident you either don't drive much, or have been very very lucky!
That's contradictory, if it lowers your risk, it does have a bearing. That's exactly why your rates go up if you get a ticket, because statistically, your chances of being in an at fault accident increase dramatically. I know tons of people that have never been in an accident, write policies for them every day, but I deal with mainly preferred risks.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
3 years.

1 or 2 points... that will cost you more in the long run. She needs to come away with no tickets.... lawyer can do that for you.

That's contradictory, if it lowers your risk, it does have a bearing. That's exactly why your rates go up if you get a ticket, because statistically, your chances of being in an at fault accident increase dramatically. I know tons of people that have never been in an accident, write policies for them every day, but I deal with mainly preferred risks.
ah now you quote at fault accidents. I'm just talking accidents. If you sit there as a person and say I've never been in an accident because I don't speed is being foolish. While it has some bearing on it, you still have been lucky to dodge all the idiots out there. You can drive as slow as you like but if your sitting at a stop light or stopped on 77 when someone is driving fast and not paying attention not much you can do but sit there and take it

Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,018 times
Quote:
ah now you quote at fault accidents. I'm just talking accidents. If you sit there as a person and say I've never been in an accident because I don't speed is being foolish. While it has some bearing on it, you still have been lucky to dodge all the idiots out there. You can drive as slow as you like but if your sitting at a stop light or stopped on 77 when someone is driving fast and not paying attention not much you can do but sit there and take it
True, you can't avoid, but you can minimize the risk. But I do hear alot about people that have never BEEN in an accident or had any tickets (they usually like to brag ) in their lives. It is a lot harder to avoid an accident if you are speeding. But I do agree with you that defensive driving sometimes needs to involve speeding, and do doubt whenever somebody uses "never".

Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 PM

373 posts, read 710,732 times
It take 2 things to get a ticket...One...a cop giving it to you and 2.A judge who believes the cop...that's all and no lawyer can do magic and make it not so, he can only try.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,758 times
Default Speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Was going 75(didnt feel like i was going that fast) in a 50 off Independence Blvd.....However the ticket is for "OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE ON A STREET OR HIGHWAY AT A SPEED OF 75mph IN A 50mph....Can anyone recommend me a good lawyer? It looks like Im gonna need one.....
If you were doing 75 in a 50, you had your head up your....... Well, you get the picture. Been there - done that and had to go to court. If you are more than 15 mph over the limit, you HAVE to go to court. You better get a lawyer. Goodman, Carr, Laughrun, Levine & Greene, P.A. - Attorney Profile. See if George Laughrun can help you dig out of your hole and get you traffic school. It's lawyer vs no license and possible insurance cancellation, then assigned risk and a bank loan to pay your premiums.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:21 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Honestly it was a mistake. Guess I was not paying attention to my speed. Did not feel like i was going that fast.
Before you spend money on a lawyer, go to the DA first thing in the morning (located here). Make sure you get there at 8 am. I believe the window opens at 9am, but you might want to get there early because there is usually a long line (people trying to do the same thing you are about to do; get off free of charge).

In many cases, people with clean records get their stuff thrown out; no questions asked. Just be honest and tell the DA what happened. If the DA says "we can't help you on this one", smile, say "thank you" and get your lawyer at that point. The lawyer will most likely get it done for you (ie, changing it into a non-moving violation like a brake light or a smoking tail-pipe). Think $350-$500 if you have to go the lawyer route.

So, is saving $350-$500 worth a shot? IMO, heck YES!!! You have nothing to lose by trying the DA route yourself. FYI, I ran a red light and the DA threw it out. However, it was one of those 2am "dead light" intersections that never change (we have quite a few of those in town). So it seems, the cop knew it was such an intersection and waited there in the dark with all of his lights off (I never had a chance of seeing him). After waiting at the light for nearly 5 minutes, I finally got fed up and ran it when it seemed as if I was all alone. Next thing I know, I see blue disco lights in my rear view mirror. Anyways, the DA understood and did the right thing. Good luck!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 AM

52 posts, read 62,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

At any rate, George Laughrun is the best lawyer in Charlotte. Pricey and a tad slimy, but the kind of back-slapping, friend-of-all-the-judges scheister you need in this situation.
Friendly with half the officers too......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte