Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,896,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Because that is under the old covenant, not the new. When Jesus came he established a new covenant. The rules about food do not necessarily apply to you unless you still follow the old covenant.
And yet Leviticus ("old covenant", as you call it) is repeatedly the book hauled out for any "God hates gays" arguments. The very same Leviticus that says not to eat from a tree younger than three years old, plant two kinds of seed in the same field or wear two different kinds of cloth.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,341,468 times
I humbly consider myself a Christian, but I honestly feel like this on a fairly regular basis.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,132,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I humbly consider myself a Christian, but I honestly feel like this on a fairly regular basis.
My favorite post ever.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,431,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What else can it be but hate for an entire group of people to try to legislate against providing civil rights to another group of people?
Maybe it's hate the sin, not the sinner? Even the Pope forgave the man who shot him. Lemme tell ya...he was a better man than me.

Maybe to Christians marriage is a ritual performed under the eyes of God and the bible says that god condemns homosexuality...making it more about the act than the person.

To broad stroke it in a way that says it has to be hate is foolish. I haven't seen one person here say they hate gays. I've seen one or two look down on the act of homosexuality, but I don't think anyone has looked down on the person.

If you had to choose between burning the bible and burning the flag, which one would it be. One one hand you have a country that professes to be a land of opportunity, where we're all created equal with the pursuit of happiness, "liberty, and justice for all." On the other hand you have a book that's been translated to say that you're loved regardless, yet if you sin you'll burn in hell for all eternity. Which set of values do you hold closer. I can't find a single win/win angle here.

I'm a guy who wants big government to stay out of the way. So it's hard for me to hold true to that ideal and still say "gays shouldn't marry". I'm also not particularly religious as I'm not big on the notion of believing in a book that's been translated, re-translated, re-re-translated...etc.. Yet I still like to believe we're not an accident.

And I sure don't believe that boycotting a chicken sandwich establishment for stating a belief, yet still not discriminating, is going to do a whole lot of good, either. If you hold true to that conviction, then it should be the responsibility of that person to look at everything they purchase to make sure that dollars spent aren't being funneled to any anti-gay rights organizations.

Convictions can be flimsy things. If gasoline hit four dollars a gallon, and some big gas station chain who supports an anti gay organization decided to drop their prices to around 2.99, watch how fast conviction goes out the window.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM

763 posts, read 825,617 times
Quote:
What else can it be but hate for an entire group of people to try to legislate against providing civil rights to another group of people?

The haters point to a spot in the bible to justify their hatred. But if they believed every item, literally, in the bible, they would never enjoy lobster or shrimp, since the bible says don't eat 'em.

Why don't Christians legislate against fish sellers, then, if Christians believe everything they read in the bible?

I'm not sure how any one person's love for another has ever affected any "Christian" person. Yet "Christians" act like they are under attack.

Imagine for one moment if a group of people decided that YOUR heterosexual relationship was sinful, wrong, and you should never, ever, have an opportunity to marry the one you love, to the point that they wanted to change laws?

Would you not speak up? Would you not ask, why? Would you not ask, "What difference does it make to THEM?"

Of course you would.

There's a battle going on here, and it's being funded by the Salvation Army and Chick-Fil-A, among others.

It's important to know who you're doing business with, and it starts at the local level.

How much better it would be if those groups spent the time and money on helping others instead of hurting them?

Of course, the Salvation Army does a lot. So does Goodwill and the American Red Cross -- but they do it without the addition of hatred.

It's not about debating. It's about thinking and treating others as you would like to be treated. (Open your books and read Luke 6:31 )
I can't understand people like you. I am an agnostic. I respect the beliefs of eveyone as beliefs are just that, beliefs. I don't have to like them. But I have to understand that we are in a free society. How can anyone be so hateful just because others share opposing beliefs? I support gay marriage but I must admit that it still is hard for me to comprehend. But it is not for me to judge. People should be able to do what they wish if it isn't harmful or disturbing to others. Along the same lines, people that disagree with gay marriages are not always hateful, ignorant people. I have spoken to gays that don't support it. I find your hatred towards Christians and charitable organizations disturbing. Why do you stereotype all Christians as being haters. Mod Cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,132,920 times
Christians aren't haters.

Christians who want to make life difficult for gay people are haters.

I'll never understand why anyone would want to spend time and money (and that includes the owners and management of Chick-Fil-A restaurants and the Salvation Army) battling gays when what gay people do has no effect on the lives of the haters.

Why not spend that money and time stopping...people who steal, lie, cheat, and are cruel to children and animals? Why pick on that one perceived "sin" when there are so many others that affect so many people?

I'll never understand it.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,294,719 times
Quote:

I'll never understand why anyone would want to spend time and money (and that includes the owners and management of Chick-Fil-A restaurants and the Salvation Army) battling gays when what gay people do has no effect on the lives of the haters.

Why not spend that money and time stopping...people who steal, lie, cheat, and are cruel to children and animals? Why pick on that one perceived "sin" when there are so many others that affect so many people?

SA could be using that money to further their humanitarian efforts. Isn't that their initial and primary function?

It's their money to do as they wish, since they're not government funded, but I agree that there's really nothing good about them choosing such a hardline stance. I wonder if their position on gays affects their charity efforts when gays are involved.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,245,862 times
Quote:

You don't understand it because you've created a straw man argument that doesn't exist. "Picking on gay people" isn't a world view for the people you are referring to. Views on homosexuality, pro or no, are a a tiny portion of someone's overall system of beliefs and values. Morality it s tough subject because we don't all subscribe to the same set of beliefs. I just don't understand why some people don't understand that. There's no need to label it. There are many, many examples of this in our society, not just homosexuality.

You say that Christians who disapprove of homosexuality are "haters." I'm no bible scholar, but isn't the Sodom and Gomorrorah story about how God destroyed destroyed a couple of cities and a whole bunch of people over sexual sin, including (or was it mainly?) homosexuality? Is it so shocking to believe that devoutly religious people might not support gay marriage?

The Salvation Army does help many different people from all walks of with many different types problems. Chick-Fil-A also donates to numerous other charities. They do spend their time and money on many other things that most of us would probably agree with. They also happen to support a controversial cause that you don't agree with. As I've said before, many businesses support a host of causes and many of them are offensive to someone. I can promise you: You've spent money that's ended up being donated to causes you don't agree with.

But seriously, but your post above is a bit silly side. How can Chick-Fil-A and the Salvation Army "...spend that money and time stopping...people who steal, lie, cheat, and are cruel to children and animals?" Good grief, the police and FBI can't even do that consistently. In most cases, all they can do is find the bad guys after they've committed a crime. (And no, contributing to an awareness campaign is not the same as "stopping" the above from happening.)

Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,205,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And yet Leviticus ("old covenant", as you call it) is repeatedly the book hauled out for any "God hates gays" arguments. The very same Leviticus that says not to eat from a tree younger than three years old, plant two kinds of seed in the same field or wear two different kinds of cloth.
Well to be fair there's a handful of passages in the NT that aren't the four gospels of Jesus or the letters of the apostles which make passing reference to what might be considered homosexuality if one ignores the original Greek they were written in buried among a list of other activities considered bad, none of which are given importance over another. And of course never mind that the modern notion of homosexuality, like the modern notions of marriage, slavery, science, history, even theology would be completely alien to the late iron age people who wrote the original scriptures.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,608,227 times
Quote:

There's this hilarious video online, I don't remember where, with Justin Long and Mike White that supports gay marriage so they can be "as miserable as the rest of us."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte