Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
It would essentially shut down a few areas that are already in existence — Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood to name two. How would that not hurt nightlife?
Nobody wants the clubs closed. It isn't just the neighbors, it is the club owners that need to be concerned. The people have lived in these areas for decades. They simply want to be able to be able hear their Televisions and get sleep. I don't believe that anyone wants clubs to go out of business, just hope for consideration and noise control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
The main target by the city council is Elizabeth — Kennedy's, Philosopher's Stone, Jack's, etc.
It's sad that people say - I don't live there, so I don't care. OK, well, when they try to take away some of your freedoms and you do care, it'll be too late. I'm also sorry that you don't like to go out and have fun.
The council is aiming at things that go on INDOORS! Not outside... this is about playing a jukebox inside, or playing pool, etc.
Didn't say I didn't care. I just said I don't follow those issues. I don't follow a lot of things but when brought up I do have in interest in them. When my "freedoms" are taken away, I'll pick up my guns and march on the capitol. If a bar in a neighborhood I chose to move into makes too much noise, I'll just call the police.

Who said anything about not wanting to have fun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
There are still noise ordinances. When clubs are excessively loud, they are likely breaking the ordinances. Actually, the problem has been resolved in my area, but I understand the need for ordinances that haven't been established or updated and realligned with the changes in city population. The people in Elizabeth were there long before that clubs started having bands playing out of doors. Perhaps people that plan on opening pubs with music venues should check to ensure that future problems won't occur.
Well then the noise ordinances should be adhered to, and enforced. If clubs moved the music outside, they should still adhere to existing ordinances. If they started playing outside in spite of the existing ordinances, as you imply, they should be cited and/or fined.

I just think saying the answer is to shut the fun down at midnight is unnecessarily radical. And there does need to be a level of acceptance by homeowners when they choose to live within a certain distance of entertainment establishments. That's part of what makes those areas attractive to homebuyers, so why change them so radically?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Didn't say I didn't care. I just said I don't follow those issues. I don't follow a lot of things but when brought up I do have in interest in them. When my "freedoms" are taken away, I'll pick up my guns and march on the capitol. If a bar in a neighborhood I chose to move into makes too much noise, I'll just call the police.

Who said anything about not wanting to have fun?

Well then the noise ordinances should be adhered to, and enforced. If clubs moved the music outside, they should still adhere to existing ordinances. If they started playing outside in spite of the existing ordinances, as you imply, they should be cited and/or fined.

I just think saying the answer is to shut the fun down at midnight is unnecessarily radical. And there does need to be a level of acceptance by homeowners when they choose to live within a certain distance of entertainment establishments. That's part of what makes those areas attractive to homebuyers, so why change them so radically?
Under normal conditions, the noise level has been acceptable. For a period of time, there were rap groups that were very noisy and inconsiderate. Cops were called. Nobody wants anyone to be out of a job, but nobody wants to not be able to sleep because of pushing it to the limit. I think that putting a time on it is sort of silly. Cities around here have quiet times before 7 am and after 10 pm. If they are going to enforce a noise ordinance, it should apply to those times. I support freedoms as well. I served over 20 years defending them. Now that I am in another phase of my life, I want to be able to enjoy the freedom of enjoying my environment without noise polution. I really am tolerant about these things. My wife and I have even decided to sleep in another bedroom and ignore the noise so the place doesn't have to go out of business.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Under normal conditions, the noise level has been acceptable. For a period of time, there were rap groups that were very noisy and inconsiderate. Cops were called. Nobody wants anyone to be out of a job, but nobody wants to not be able to sleep because of pushing it to the limit. I think that putting a time on it is sort of silly. Cities around here have quiet times before 7 am and after 10 pm. If they are going to enforce a noise ordinance, it should apply to those times. I support freedoms as well. I served over 20 years defending them. Now that I am in another phase of my life, I want to be able to enjoy the freedom of enjoying my environment without noise polution. I really am tolerant about these things. My wife and I have even decided to sleep in another bedroom and ignore the noise so the place doesn't have to go out of business.
That's more than I'd do. I have neighbors who like to party, about once a month, into the wee hours of the morning. I tolerate it, to a point, then I call them. I've told them that I will put up with some violation of the local noise ordinance (I think it's actually 11 PM but I may be wrong) but that they need to limit the noise after midnight. The husband got on my case one day after I'd called the police, and I told him that police involvement was about 4 steps down the list of how I'd respond, but he gave me no option.

I still think there is common ground. Volume controls on amps are variable for a reason. If 6 makes the neighbors happy and keeps the bar in business, then 0 isn't necessary, but they shouldn't be going to 11.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
dislike.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Personally I have no issue with that, if you want to party all night go to Vegas.
This law is too restrictive and will force much of what nightlife exists in Charlotte out of business. This will KILL areas like NoDa, SouthEnd, Dillworth, Plaza Midwood, etc. There has to be some form of middle ground.

I haven't actually found a copy of this law. Does it really say there can be no music inside an establishment or now entertainment of any kind after midnight?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 PM

373 posts, read 709,805 times
I bet all the loud mouth drunks hanging around these noisy bars would be quick to get upset if when they stagger home they themselves cant rest because of near by loud gitar plucking and caterwalering.Yes indeed.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
^ ya, like no "sweet caroline" karaoke after midnight (or ever?)

Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This law is too restrictive and will force much of what nightlife exists in Charlotte out of business. This will KILL areas like NoDa, SouthEnd, Dillworth, Plaza Midwood, etc. There has to be some form of middle ground.

I haven't actually found a copy of this law. Does it really say there can be no music inside an establishment or now entertainment of any kind after midnight?
It will be voted on 1/17 @ 6 PM. I looked but couldn't find any specifics on the City Council website, but I didn't expend much effort in doing so.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
This will never happen, too much revenue generated for the city as a whole. No need to think that it will happen. Just people generating buzz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte