Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,368,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
It would essentially shut down a few areas that are already in existence — Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood to name two. How would that not hurt nightlife?
Remember that they're talking about clubs within 400 feet of a residential area (in other words, clubs that are literally next door to someone's living space). And even those clubs are allowed to be noisy up until midnight. I just don't see where this will have much of an impact (then again, I am an uptown person when it comes to "going out" anyways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,277,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Remember that they're talking about clubs within 400 feet of a residential area (in other words, clubs that are literally next door to someone's living space). And even those clubs are allowed to be noisy up until midnight. I just don't see where this will have much of an impact (then again, I am an uptown person when it comes to "going out" anyways).
One thing I noticed when I moved to Charlotte is smaller, neighborhood bars dominated the nightlife scene more than the huge, flashy dance clubs that are more popular in other cities. A lot of people like this about Charlotte. If this bill passes, it would help the dance club scene but the local, neighborhood bar scene will be decapitated. I can think of several bars that I have frequented that would be shut down by this ordinance.

Since many people's definition of nightlife is dance clubs however, this may help them.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM

763 posts, read 823,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
One thing I noticed when I moved to Charlotte is smaller, neighborhood bars dominated the nightlife scene more than the huge, flashy dance clubs that are more popular in other cities. A lot of people like this about Charlotte. If this bill passes, it would help the dance club scene but the local, neighborhood bar scene will be decapitated. I can think of several bars that I have frequented that would be shut down by this ordinance.

Since many people's definition of nightlife is dance clubs however, this may help them.
Dance clubs are uptown and in the NCMF. The only affect that the ordinaance is that the bands will move inside and perhaps music toned down a bit. There will be no major impact. By the way, what do you mean in your first sentence when you say "One thing I noticed when I moved to Charlotte is smaller......?" Smaller than what? Like the smoking issue, people are over reacting. It will all be fine.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM

15,357 posts, read 12,673,853 times
Smaller neighborhood bars

Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Smaller neighborhood bars
This. Nightlife in other cities i've been to are centered around the big, flashy dance clubs while in Charlotte it is more your small corner bar. A lot of people have the impression that Charlotte doesn't have any nightlife because of this, but the fact is Charlotte has a ton, its just different than in most places.

Speaking of dance clubs, the uptown scene has really improved quite a bit since I moved here in 2009.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:11 PM

222 posts, read 551,004 times
Are they also going to outlaw "games of chance?"

Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,407,271 times
the controlling always starts with something small, ei. when people had to get used to
sitting in the smoking section, 20 years later smokers are considered outcasts.

while I am not really bothered one way or the other this is the way things start.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
the controlling always starts with something small, ei. when people had to get used to
sitting in the smoking section, 20 years later smokers are considered outcasts.

while I am not really bothered one way or the other this is the way things start.
smoking is a health hazard. I'm glad they make smokers go outside....

The smaller neighborhood bars make Charlotte a great city IMO.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
smoking is a health hazard. I'm glad they make smokers go outside....

The smaller neighborhood bars make Charlotte a great city IMO.
Its just a matter of time before smoking is de-facto illegal. You will still be able to buy cigarettes, but there will be nowhere you can legally smoke them unless you go to a secluded location away from everyone and everything. Apartment complexes and homeowners associations have already started banning smoking in private homes! Combine that with the ordinances many cities are now passing banning smoking in public areas such as parks/plazas and within so many feet of a public building, smoking is practically illegal.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its just a matter of time before smoking is de-facto illegal. You will still be able to buy cigarettes, but there will be nowhere you can legally smoke them unless you go to a secluded location away from everyone and everything. Apartment complexes and homeowners associations have already started banning smoking in private homes! Combine that with the ordinances many cities are now passing banning smoking in public areas such as parks/plazas and within so many feet of a public building, smoking is practically illegal.
I don't smoke so I don't care....

..and I made sure to avoid HOA's so I don't have to worry about some nut on a power trip trying to tell me what I can and can't do in or around my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte