Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCroat View Post
What is wrong with you People.
Perhaps you could clue us in a bit more

We still have no clue what you are looking for or why you specifically asked the question in your original post?

More info please....

Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I'll ask a question. On another thread in the city vs. city portion in the General U.S. forum, but are there any mostly Black neighborhoods in Charlotte that still have racial/ethnic diversity that are middle or upper class? I was told that there weren't any, but I found that to be odd considering that the area I live does have a neighborhood like this.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll ask a question. On another thread in the city vs. city portion in the General U.S. forum, but are there any mostly Black neighborhoods in Charlotte that still have racial/ethnic diversity that are middle or upper class? I was told that there weren't any, but I found that to be odd considering that the area I live does have a neighborhood like this.
No, there really aren't any.

Try to remember my friend, Charlotte is not an "old" city like Syracuse, Chicago, New Orleans etc. In fact, until about 20 years ago, Charlotte was just a big town, not hardly a "city", lol.

In Charlotte, there are no real ethnic neighborhoods - nothing predominantly Irish, Polish, Italian or African American.

I have said this here before and it's really true - in Charlotte the only color that really matters is GREEN.

The more green you are, the more you congregate on the north or south end of the city. The less green you are, the more you live in the east or west sides of the city.

So, if this really the OP's question the answer is, affluent or middle class black folks tend to just live where the other affluent or middle class folks are - it is not divided by race

Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, there really aren't any.

Try to remember my friend, Charlotte is not an "old" city like Syracuse, Chicago, New Orleans etc. In fact, until about 20 years ago, Charlotte was just a big town, not hardly a "city", lol.

In Charlotte, there are no real ethnic neighborhoods - nothing predominantly Irish, Polish, Italian or African American.

I have said this here before and it's really true - in Charlotte the only color that really matters is GREEN.

The more green you are, the more you congregate on the north or south end of the city. The less green you are, the more you live in the east or west sides of the city.

So, if this really the OP's question the answer is, affluent or middle class black folks tend to just live where the other affluent or middle class folks are - it is not divided by race
Interesting..... I see what you in regards to the different dynamics of newer cities and their neighborhoods. I was just expecting to hear that there is at least one mostly(not completely or overwhelmingly) Black area/neighborhood that is economically at least middle class.

This is the neighborhood in my area that I was referring to and thought that Charlotte would have something similar or even higher economically: https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...racuse-NY.html One half of the neighborhood is more middle class than the other, but you get the idea.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Hyde park is the middle class/upper middle class AA neighborhood. So there's at LEAST that one...

Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Hyde park is the middle class/upper middle class AA neighborhood. So there's at LEAST that one...
That's what I thought, considering so many Black folks from the Northeast and Midwest have moved there, including from my area. My sister actually lives in University City. Interestingly, the percentages of Blacks are not that far apart. US2010

US2010

Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 AM

156 posts, read 309,409 times
According to the US Census, Charlotte's demographic make up is close to 35% black.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Sorry to disagree, but Hyde Park is BARELY middle class - certainly not "upper middle class" or "affluent", which is what ckhthankgod asked about.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry to disagree, but Hyde Park is BARELY middle class - certainly not "upper middle class" or "affluent", which is what ckhthankgod asked about.
barely middle class? homes in that neighborhood were selling for $380K plus just a few years ago. Sorry to disagree, but that's solid middle to upper middle in my book.

Check out this house and tell me it's "barely middle class"
PID 03712410 4121 HYDE PARK DR

It's a real "ethnic neighborhood" in Charlotte. And there are some nice houses there. It may not be like Philly, or Chicago, or Detroit, or NY... but I'm thankful for that.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM

5918 Sierra Drive...
4229 Le Brea...
5906 Crestwood...
4131 Hyde Park...

How can you not consider this at least a solid middle to upper middle class example? Just because it's not at LKN or South Charlotte? You have a very myopic view of Charlotte real estate LM, and it's patently obvious to anyone who lives happily in any area of town you don't deem "worthy". My neighborhood is SOLID middle class and homes sell for under $200K! Serious question... have you ever even BEEN to Hyde Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte