Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

I think people have a different view of what a solid middle class/upper middle class neighborhood looks like. Some people use solid middle class/upper class for THEIR neighborhood and don't want others to have that title/description.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting..... I see what you in regards to the different dynamics of newer cities and their neighborhoods. I was just expecting to hear that there is at least one mostly(not completely or overwhelmingly) Black area/neighborhood that is economically at least middle class.

This is the neighborhood in my area that I was referring to and thought that Charlotte would have something similar or even higher economically: https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...racuse-NY.html One half of the neighborhood is more middle class than the other, but you get the idea.
Based on my observations, Atlanta and DC are the only two metros that contain several concentrated areas of upper middle class or affluent black people (especially areas of PG county, MD). They don't call em the two black meccas for no reason. Sure, there exist small pockets in other mid-to-large metro areas (Houston, NY/NJ, Chicago, LA, etc.), but not heavy concentrations like Atlanta or DC. No offense but I don't think that area of Syracuse is on the same level as those I speak of in DC and Atlanta - and is more akin to many areas of Charlotte.

As expected, years ago, many black middle class neighborhoods in the south were located near historically black colleges and universities, the center of education for black people. But as many blacks progessed, they've migrated to the burbs.

Charlotte, like many other southern cities - Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, etc. have a host of black working/middle class neigborhoods or subdivisions...it's here. In Charlotte, many of the hifaluten black folk (or homes valued at $250k+) live in mixed neighborhoods and there are several of these neighborhoods with decent concentrations of black people, but would not refer to as "black" neighborhoods.

Remember, this is the south, there a lot of black folk.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll ask a question. On another thread in the city vs. city portion in the General U.S. forum, but are there any mostly Black neighborhoods in Charlotte that still have racial/ethnic diversity that are middle or upper class? I was told that there weren't any, but I found that to be odd considering that the area I live does have a neighborhood like this.
Your thinking is very valid as Charlotte has been incorporated since the 1700s and such places have and still exist in Charlotte.

In the days of segregation there was Brooklyn & Biddleville. (Maybe Cherry as well but I'm not sure) This is where you would have found the Black businesses and business community. Brooklyn doesn't exist anymore. Like a great deal of Charlotte's history, it was destroyed by urban renewal and progress and in this case that would be the construction of I-277, Charlottetown Mall, and Independence Blvd.

Biddleville (also called 5 points) still exists today. This is the neighborhood that surrounds West Trade Steet & Beatties Ford Rd centered where these roads meet with Rozzelles Ferry Rd & W. 5th St. This is where the campus of JC Smith University is located and at one time during segregation, this is where you would have found the Black "downtown" of Charlotte. Some of it still exists now. Some other important places that were there were McDonald's Cafeteria (closed) and the Excelsior Club.

I would say this is the part of Charlotte that would come closest to what you are looking for, though I'd also say it's importance isn't what it used to be. Younger Blacks who become professionals, end up moving like everyone else so the area has changed a lot. There was also some heavy gentrification during the real estate boom on the side closest to "uptown". However, most White people never venture into this part of the city and I would think this applies to most of the people responding here, so they might be a little surprised at what they find there. (in a positive sense) This is probably why you haven't seen much posted here in regards to your question.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
5918 Sierra Drive...
4229 Le Brea...
5906 Crestwood...
4131 Hyde Park...

How can you not consider this at least a solid middle to upper middle class example? Just because it's not at LKN or South Charlotte? You have a very myopic view of Charlotte real estate LM, and it's patently obvious to anyone who lives happily in any area of town you don't deem "worthy". My neighborhood is SOLID middle class and homes sell for under $200K! Serious question... have you ever even BEEN to Hyde Park?
My apologies, apparently I confused Hyde Park with nearby Hyde Park Estates and Rolling Hills where homes are selling well under $100,000.

I do not have a "myopic view", I simply made a mistake

Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Based on my observations, Atlanta and DC are the only two metros that contain several concentrated areas of upper middle class or affluent black people (especially areas of PG county, MD). They don't call em the two black meccas for no reason. Sure, there exist small pockets in other mid-to-large metro areas (Houston, NY/NJ, Chicago, LA, etc.), but not heavy concentrations like Atlanta or DC. No offense but I don't think that area of Syracuse is on the same level as those I speak of in DC and Atlanta - and is more akin to many areas of Charlotte.

As expected, years ago, many black middle class neighborhoods in the south were located near historically black colleges and universities, the center of education for black people. But as many blacks progessed, they've migrated to the burbs.

Charlotte, like many other southern cities - Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, etc. have a host of black working/middle class neigborhoods or subdivisions...it's here. In Charlotte, many of the hifaluten black folk (or homes valued at $250k+) live in mixed neighborhoods and there are several of these neighborhoods with decent concentrations of black people, but would not refer to as "black" neighborhoods.

Remember, this is the south, there a lot of black folk.
Very True!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Your thinking is very valid as Charlotte has been incorporated since the 1700s and such places have and still exist in Charlotte.

In the days of segregation there was Brooklyn & Biddleville. (Maybe Cherry as well but I'm not sure) This is where you would have found the Black businesses and business community. Brooklyn doesn't exist anymore. Like a great deal of Charlotte's history, it was destroyed by urban renewal and progress and in this case that would be the construction of I-277, Charlottetown Mall, and Independence Blvd.

Biddleville (also called 5 points) still exists today. This is the neighborhood that surrounds West Trade Steet & Beatties Ford Rd centered where these roads meet with Rozzelles Ferry Rd & W. 5th St. This is where the campus of JC Smith University is located and at one time during segregation, this is where you would have found the Black "downtown" of Charlotte. Some of it still exists now. Some other important places that were there were McDonald's Cafeteria (closed) and the Excelsior Club.

I would say this is the part of Charlotte that would come closest to what you are looking for, though I'd also say it's importance isn't what it used to be. Younger Blacks who become professionals, end up moving like everyone else so the area has changed a lot. There was also some heavy gentrification during the real estate boom on the side closest to "uptown". However, most White people never venture into this part of the city and I would think this applies to most of the people responding here, so they might be a little surprised at what they find there. (in a positive sense) This is probably why you haven't seen much posted here in regards to your question.
Good post and will avoid turning this into a racial rant as I can sometimes do, but this is nail meet head. Black people have to interact with white people but the reverse isn't the case. So, there exist a level of ignorance about the working/middle class black population, especially outside of the professional work environment.

More to the point, there are several black middle class neighborhoods in Charlotte, not the high-volume concentrated upper middle class neighborhoods like ATL and DC.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My apologies, apparently I confused Hyde Park with nearby Hyde Park Estates and Rolling Hills where homes are selling well under $100,000.

I do not have a "myopic view", I simply made a mistake
LOL. Fair enough. Your opinion carries a lot of weight on these boards so I think you owe it to your fans make sure you have good information... and have a good weekend

Last edited by Native_Son; 05-04-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think people have a different view of what a solid middle class/upper middle class neighborhood looks like. Some people use solid middle class/upper class for THEIR neighborhood and don't want others to have that title/description.
This is true. It's really funny when the description of "middle class" excludes all but the top 10% or higher.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
LOL. Fair enough. Your opinion carries a lot of weight on these boards so I think you owe it to your fans make sure you have good information... and have a good weekend
Thanks, you too

You know I always strive to give accurate info, so again I do apologize for the mistake.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
In the days of segregation there was Brooklyn & Biddleville. (Maybe Cherry as well but I'm not sure)
Wilmore as well to a lesser extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte