Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 55,785 times

Advertisements

My business is the process of opening a facility in Charlotte. We are looking to purchase or construct a new building for our distribution facility that would have both warehouse staff and some salespeople.

I have a question about an area we are considering. We are considering building in a new government-sponsored development off Rozzelles Ferry Road and Zebulon Ave (near Johnson C. Smith University). I know this business park area used to be housing projects and wasn't the best in the past, but the government bulldozed those projects and is actively spending money trying to revitalize the area. Seems like it has potential, considering the effort being put into it and its being only 1.5-2 miles from uptown with good highway access

Our other prime option we are considering is in Steele Creek (SW Charlotte), around the corner of Steele Creek Rd and Westinghouse Blvd.

The Rozzelles Ferry option is much more cost-effective but I understand it may be a bit of a speculative move based on the trajectory of the area. Is the area changing as intended? Is it a potential up-and-coming good place to be? Is it currently a safe place to work? In other words, how speculative is it?

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Improving, but really a terrible area. Probably safe to work in, but I would never live there. Ever.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Improving, but really a terrible area. Probably safe to work in, but I would never live there. Ever.
Never ever.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
If your security is solid, you'll be in a good place. If you slack on security, be prepared to replace inventory and windows/doors. If I were to be in a position to choose, I would go to Rozelle Ferry for the cost benefit.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Would any of the executives in your company be willing to invest personally in the area by buying homes, to live in, off Rozzell's Ferry Rd? Would they be willing to enroll their kids in the public schools on that side of town? Answer those questions and you will have your answer.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Don't be offended, but the person who even came up with the Rozzelles Ferry idea needs some counseling.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
LOL... the guy is asking about a warehouse not a night club or building a new house for his family to live in...

Like Spank said.. if you have good security and you can save on cost, do it.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM

249 posts, read 458,492 times
you would have to pay me alot of money to come to work there everyday in that area.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan25 View Post
My business is the process of opening a facility in Charlotte. We are looking to purchase or construct a new building for our distribution facility that would have both warehouse staff and some salespeople.

I have a question about an area we are considering. We are considering building in a new government-sponsored development off Rozzelles Ferry Road and Zebulon Ave (near Johnson C. Smith University). I know this business park area used to be housing projects and wasn't the best in the past, but the government bulldozed those projects and is actively spending money trying to revitalize the area. Seems like it has potential, considering the effort being put into it and its being only 1.5-2 miles from uptown with good highway access

Our other prime option we are considering is in Steele Creek (SW Charlotte), around the corner of Steele Creek Rd and Westinghouse Blvd.

The Rozzelles Ferry option is much more cost-effective but I understand it may be a bit of a speculative move based on the trajectory of the area. Is the area changing as intended? Is it a potential up-and-coming good place to be? Is it currently a safe place to work? In other words, how speculative is it?

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Think about your employee moral as well, this will tell you how well they'll perform in they jobs.
Would you like to go there to work everyday?
What type of employee would you attract that are willing to spend at least 8 hrs/day in that location?

Myself I would not want to go to work in a less than desirable location, life is too short for big compromise like that, it forces you to lower your expectations in life.
Been there many years ago, and not worth it - I hate it so much, that it was a good motivator for me to get a degree and after that only work for reputable companies with great locations.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Unless triple homicides are happening in the parking lot or lobby of the building I don't see how a location could lower moral.

28173 you make it sound like the warehouse will be housing the locals for 8 hours everyday. I could see if this was open to the public or a restaurant but a warehouse? Not so much.... in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte