Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Go. It's not a meeting. They have cards on easels set up, in sequence. You register. put dots on a map of the region to show where you live, work, & play. Walk the area where the cards are set up & read them, then fill out a questionnaire. You can fill out the questionnaire online, but if you go, there are officials ready & eager to talk to you.
I'm going to the one in Charlotte off of Independence. I'm kind of amped about this. I wonder if people can join for advocacy reasons. I sure wouldn't mind spreading the importance of regionalism.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I'm going to the one in Charlotte off of Independence. I'm kind of amped about this. I wonder if people can join for advocacy reasons. I sure wouldn't mind spreading the importance of regionalism.
I met 2 city officials last night. One wanted me to stop by her office about something, so I went today. 18 people went last night & the city people & the Connect people were thrilled since it's not something that would draw throngs & the weather was hideous. I was told that a couple of people asked for them to make presentations to groups here & they will.

Also, I asked about Cleveland County going into the metro & she will get back to me with the answer.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
You need to separate metropolitan planning organizations from metropolitan statistical areas.

Metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs) are derived from census urbanized areas. I posted a map I made here: //www.city-data.com/forum/23583038-post9.html. This map shows urbanized areas (urban areas with 50,000 or more population) and urban clusters (areas with population of 2,500 to 49,999). Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, Rock Hill, and Hickory have urbanized areas.

Basically, any area within a census urbanized area must be within an MPO. Areas outside MPOs are organized into rural planning organizations (RPOs). Here is a map of the current MPOs and RPOs in North Carolina: http://www.ncdot.gov/doh/preconstruc...OandMPOMap.pdf.

MPOs and RPOs basically determine priorities for spending transportation funds. I think the major difference is that MPOs get money directly and RPOs have to compete for money from a pot.

Because the urbanized area boundaries increased after the 2010 census, the MPO boundaries also must be adjusted. One rule about urbanized areas is that existing urbanized areas won't be merged. Based on urban development, the Concord, Gastonia, and Rock Hill urbanized areas all should have merged into the Charlotte urbanized area. Instead, Charlotte's urbanized area went north, grabbing urban clusters in Lincoln and Iredell Counties that weren't protected. A proposal for adjusting the Charlotte MPO is here: MPO Planning Area Boundary Expansion | MUMPO.

MPOs can include parts of counties, which is why only parts of Iredell and Lincoln Counties are being transferred from the Lake Norman RPO to the Charlotte MPO (The current name is Mecklenburg-Union MPO, but that name will change) and Hickory MPO, and other parts will remain.

Metropolitan statistical areas are groups of counties delineated based on urbanized areas and commuting. Basically, counties with at least 50% of their population in an urbanized area qualify as central counties of a metropolitan statistical area. Because of the expansion of the Charlotte urbanized area to include Mooresville and Statesville, Iredell County will be a central county along with Mecklenburg and Union. Other counties qualify as outlying based on commuting to those counties. Gaston, York, Cabarrus, Rowan, Anson, and possibly Lincoln, Stanly, and Lancaster could be in the metropolitan area once the new delineations are announced next year.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Metropolitan statistical areas are a type of core based statistical area.

Core based statistical areas include:

Metropolitan statistical areas - Groups of counties containing a census urbanized area with a population of 50,000 or more and showing strong commuting ties.

Micropolitan statistical areas - Groups of counties containing a census urban cluster with a population of 10,000 to 49,000 and showing strong commuting ties.

Combined statistical areas - Groups of metropolitan statistical areas and micropolitan statistical areas with strong commuting ties.

In the map below, the darker shaded areas are metropolitan statistical areas and the lighter shaded areas are micropolitan statistical areas. The heavy green line outlines the combined statistical area. These are the current areas and will change in a few months.

And here's the 2010 urban areas map from the other thread.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Metropolitan statistical areas are a type of core based statistical area.

Core based statistical areas include:

Metropolitan statistical areas - Groups of counties containing a census urbanized area with a population of 50,000 or more and showing strong commuting ties.

Micropolitan statistical areas - Groups of counties containing a census urban cluster with a population of 10,000 to 49,000 and showing strong commuting ties.

Combined statistical areas - Groups of metropolitan statistical areas and micropolitan statistical areas with strong commuting ties.

In the map below, the darker shaded areas are metropolitan statistical areas and the lighter shaded areas are micropolitan statistical areas. The heavy green line outlines the combined statistical area. These are the current areas and will change in a few months.

And here's the 2010 urban areas map from the other thread.
Thanks, Dave.

I think that the micropolitans are being discontinued, but don't quote me on that. I think that I read that somewhere. There's a question about which counties go into the MSA in July. Lake Norman RPO loses Iredell & Kings Mountain. Shelby, Cherryville, Boilings Springs, Lincolnton, etc chose to stay in the RPO which will be renamed to be Southwest Piedmont RPO.

A Kings Mountain city official is going to let me know if the county is going into the MSA. She needs to know & will pass that on to me, since I asked.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM

Micropolitan statistical areas aren't being discontinued. The standards for the 2013 redelineation are here; Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Main - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau. there are few changes from 2000.

The delineation of MPOs is dependent on census urbanized areas in that any area within an urbanized area must be within an MPO, but not the same MPO. For example, the Charlotte urbanized area includes area in York and Lancaster coutnties, but those areas will be in the Rock Hill MPO. The delineation involves a lot of local imput, with individual cities and counties having a say in which MPO they go with. Also cities and counties outside urbanized areas may have an option to join an adjacent MPO.

Kings Mountain doesn't have much of a choice, though. It's in the Gastonia urbanized area and will have to be in the Gastonia MPO.

There is no local input in the delineation of metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas, however. There also is no insider information. Also, metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas include whole counties. So, all of Cleveland County will be added to the metropolitan area or not. The Kings Mountain city official will find that out when the rest of us do.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Micropolitan statistical areas aren't being discontinued. The standards for the 2013 redelineation are here; Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Main - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau. there are few changes from 2000.

The delineation of MPOs is dependent on census urbanized areas in that any area within an urbanized area must be within an MPO, but not the same MPO. For example, the Charlotte urbanized area includes area in York and Lancaster coutnties, but those areas will be in the Rock Hill MPO. The delineation involves a lot of local imput, with individual cities and counties having a say in which MPO they go with. Also cities and counties outside urbanized areas may have an option to join an adjacent MPO.

Kings Mountain doesn't have much of a choice, though. It's in the Gastonia urbanized area and will have to be in the Gastonia MPO.

There is no local input in the delineation of metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas, however. There also is no insider information. Also, metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas include whole counties. So, all of Cleveland County will be added to the metropolitan area or not. The Kings Mountain city official will find that out when the rest of us do.
I get what you're saying. Here's where it gets murky to me. Cherryville is in Gaston County, which is in the MSA but has been in the RPO. Kings Mountain, both the city & twp., is in both Cleveland & Gaston. The city has been in the RPO but goes to the MPO in July. Mooresville, Statesville, & Troutman went to the MPO. This is straightforward.

Iredell, Lincoln, & Cleveland have all been micropolitans. The RPO & the MPOs gave unaffected towns in all 3 counties & Cherryville a choice of who they would belong to. If they joined MPOs it would have been as associate members. Only Mooresville, Statesville, Troutman & Kings Mountain would be full member municipalities. An area near the lake in Lincoln County is also annexed to the Charlotte MPO, but no city or town is mentioned, so that might be Denver.

In the September RPO newsletter, a map showed that the census showed Kings Mountain, Shelby, 2 tiny towns in eastern Cleveland County & all of the unincorporated area near them as urbanized, but not Boiling Springs, which has a population of over 5K. The urbanized area might come to 50% of the county population, possibly over 50%. Shelby has a population of 22K+ & the Kings Mountain zipcode is between 26K & 29K, depending on the source that you look at. Waco & Fallston are included in the urbanized area. They are tiny, but would add over 1K. That would pretty much offset the portion of Kings Mountain that is in Gaston County. The rest of the unincorporated area might bring it to 50%, or more. Lincoln County has the smallest population of the 3, but could qualify because of commuting into Charlotte, Mooresville & Gastonia. That fits with Lincoln County being told to join both the Charlotte & Gaston MPOs.

I'm pretty sure that Iredell will go into the MSA . I don't know for sure if Lincoln & Cleveland will, but if the information in the September & December RPO newsletters is any indicator, all 3 will go in.

http://lakenormanrpo.org/wp-content/...ember-2012.pdf

http://lakenormanrpo.org/wp-content/...cember2012.pdf

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-19-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM

You need to separate MPOs/RPOs from metropolitan/micropolitan areas. They both are derived from census urbanized areas but are different things.

When they talk about Cleveland County or Lincoln County joining an MPO, that refers to the county government, which would represent the portion of the county within the MPO boundary. The entire county area wouldn't be in the MPO boundary. Since both the Charlotte and Gastonia urbanized areas go into Lincoln County, Lincoln County could be a member of both MPOs, representing the areas within those respective urbanized areas. However, it looks like the Mecklenburg-Union MPO will take that part of Lincoln County in the Gastonia urbanized area. Any area within a census urbanized area boundary must be included in an MPO boundary, but it can be a different MPO. MPO boundaries also typically take in more area than the urbanized area. it depends on local preference.

The census Bureau delineates urban areas, which are generally built up areas, but can contain low density areas in gaps, indentations, or nonresidential development.

Urban areas with a population over 50,000 are called urbanized areas. These qualify areas to become MPOs and metropolitan areas.

Urban areas with a population of 2,500 to 49,000 are called urban clusters. Those with a population of 10,000 or more qualify areas to become micropolitan areas.

Most of Kings Mountain is in the Gastonia urbanized area and thus must be included in the Gastonia MPO. Shelby and Boiling Springs both have urban clusters.

The population of the Gastonia urbanized area around Kings Mountain is not enough to make Cleveland County a central county with Gaston County. Cleveland County will be included in the metropolitan area if it has sufficient commuting to Gaston and other central counties. If not, it will remain a separate micropolitan statistical area. Central counties are not determined by total urban population, but by population within individual urban areas.

The likelihood that Iredell County will become part of the Charlotte metropolitan area is 100%. I would expect Lincoln County to qualify based on commuting, but I thought it would last census also.

You can look at urban area boundaries here: TIGERweb (beta). Zoom in to your area of interest and turn on the urban areas layer. (Turn off hydrography.)

Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
My guess is that the new MSA definition of Charlotte's MSA will be the current one plus Iredell and Rowan. Cleveland and Lancaster could be added to the MSA but I see that as a 50/50 chance. Chester will definitely be a CSA county. Also, if Hickory isn't added to the CSA this time, next census it will.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
My guess is that the new MSA definition of Charlotte's MSA will be the current one plus Iredell and Rowan. Cleveland and Lancaster could be added to the MSA but I see that as a 50/50 chance. Chester will definitely be a CSA county. Also, if Hickory isn't added to the CSA this time, next census it will.
I saw a map of the commuting patterns of the whole CSA a while back & can't find it now. Have you seen it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte