Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,808,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
You need to separate MPOs/RPOs from metropolitan/micropolitan areas. They both are derived from census urbanized areas but are different things.

When they talk about Cleveland County or Lincoln County joining an MPO, that refers to the county government, which would represent the portion of the county within the MPO boundary. The entire county area wouldn't be in the MPO boundary. Since both the Charlotte and Gastonia urbanized areas go into Lincoln County, Lincoln County could be a member of both MPOs, representing the areas within those respective urbanized areas. However, it looks like the Mecklenburg-Union MPO will take that part of Lincoln County in the Gastonia urbanized area. Any area within a census urbanized area boundary must be included in an MPO boundary, but it can be a different MPO. MPO boundaries also typically take in more area than the urbanized area. it depends on local preference.

The census Bureau delineates urban areas, which are generally built up areas, but can contain low density areas in gaps, indentations, or nonresidential development.

Urban areas with a population over 50,000 are called urbanized areas. These qualify areas to become MPOs and metropolitan areas.

Urban areas with a population of 2,500 to 49,000 are called urban clusters. Those with a population of 10,000 or more qualify areas to become micropolitan areas.

Most of Kings Mountain is in the Gastonia urbanized area and thus must be included in the Gastonia MPO. Shelby and Boiling Springs both have urban clusters.

The population of the Gastonia urbanized area around Kings Mountain is not enough to make Cleveland County a central county with Gaston County. Cleveland County will be included in the metropolitan area if it has sufficient commuting to Gaston and other central counties. If not, it will remain a separate micropolitan statistical area. Central counties are not determined by total urban population, but by population within individual urban areas.

The likelihood that Iredell County will become part of the Charlotte metropolitan area is 100%. I would expect Lincoln County to qualify based on commuting, but I thought it would last census also.

You can look at urban area boundaries here: TIGERweb (beta). Zoom in to your area of interest and turn on the urban areas layer. (Turn off hydrography.)

I found this.

Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) -

Although the OMB's official standards for defining these regions are highly complex, detailed, and marked by qualifications, MSAs are commonly defined as regions composed of one or more counties containing either:1) a city with a population of at least 50,000 people, or 2) a Census Bureau-defined "urbanized area" with a population that, when combined with that of its component county or counties, totals at least 100,000 people. An important exception to how MSAs are defined exists in the New England states, however. In that region of the country, towns and cities rather than counties are used to designate regions as MSAs, and the total metropolitan population of the previously-mentioned "urbanized area" need only be 75,000 people. The Office of Management and Budget also notes that the MSA may include other "central" counties (any county with at least half of its population within the "urbanized" area) and "outlying" counties that satisfy specific criteria of metropolitan character and integration with the central counties, as indicated by population density, growth, urbanization, and levels of commuting.

I remembered, from years ago, 50% of the population in an urban or urbanized area with commuting. Apparently it's changed.

I have no clue which way it will go, but I do know that last year Kings Mountain got access to HUD funds, but is still accessing rural funds.

Commuting is both incoming & outgoing. I saw a current map but can't find it again. Primary outgoing commuting is to Gaston, Mecklenburg, & Spartanburg County. Primary incoming commuters are from Gaston, Mecklenburg, & Cherokee. It's possible that Cleveland would make the 25% of outgoing commuters to the metro, but unlikely that it would get the 25% commuters from the metro. That's too bad, because going into the metro would equalize the power here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,329,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw a map of the commuting patterns of the whole CSA a while back & can't find it now. Have you seen it?
I sure haven't. Perhaps I could try to google it.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I sure haven't. Perhaps I could try to google it.
I tried that. No dice. It was a map of the whole CSA & I think that it involved Catawba. It extended beyond the CSA because it showed Cleveland County commuters to Spartanburg. I don't recall if it gave numbers.

I was looking for something else when I ran across it & just looked briefly & clicked off it. I have no recollection what I was looking for or I might be able to bring it up again.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I tried that. No dice. It was a map of the whole CSA & I think that it involved Catawba. It extended beyond the CSA because it showed Cleveland County commuters to Spartanburg. I don't recall if it gave numbers.

I was looking for something else when I ran across it & just looked briefly & clicked off it. I have no recollection what I was looking for or I might be able to bring it up again.
I found some info from the Charlotte Chamber dated from 2005. It's a pdf file and I'm still trying to attach three link from my phone.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM

7,081 posts, read 12,390,783 times
With news stories such as this one, I'm almost certain that Charlotte's MSA will expand this year. After looking at quite a few urbanized area maps, it would seem as though Iredell is now a core county of MSA Charlotte. Iredell changes the game quite a bit. Thanks to Iredell, counties such as Lincoln and Rowan would need 25% of their populations commuting into Meck, Cabarrus, Gaston, and/or Iredell. I suspect that Iredell has a rather large number of commuters from Rowan and Lincoln (two border counties of Iredell).

Also, most of Rowan is now part of Concord's urbanized area. I do believe that Rowan and Lincoln were members of Charlotte's original pre-2003 MSA. This year, I think Lincoln and Rowan will return with first-timer Iredell. The addition of Lancaster and Cleveland counties would not surprise me. Stanly county might not make it, but it is a possibility now that I-485 runs east (eastern I-485 was not a reality during the 2003 change, I don't think ).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-22-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
With news stories like this one, I'm almost certain that Charlotte's MSA will expand this year. After looking at quite a few urbanized area maps, it would seem as though Iredell is now a core county of MSA Charlotte. Iredell changes the game quite a bit. Thanks to Iredell, counties such as Lincoln and Rowan would need 25% of their populations commuting into Meck, Cabarrus, Gaston, and/or Iredell. I suspect that Iredell has a rather large number of commuters from Rowan and Lincoln (two border counties of Iredell).

Also, most of Rowan is now part of Concord's urbanized area. I do believe that Rowan and Lincoln were members of Charlotte's original pre-2003 MSA. This year, I think Lincoln and Rowan will return with first-timer Iredell. The addition of Lancaster and Cleveland counties would not surprise me. Stanly county might not make it, but it is a possibility now that I-485 runs east (eastern I-485 was not a reality during the 2003 change, I don't think ).
I just don't know for sure about Cleveland, but it could bring 2 counties to the CSA. Rutherford & Cherokee County SC, which did show up in one of NC Dave's maps, but is not involved in the regional planning. If Cleveland does not come into the MSA this time it will next time.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I found some info from the Charlotte Chamber dated from 2005. It's a pdf file and I'm still trying to attach three link from my phone.
What I saw was more recent, but that's better than nothing, which is what we have now.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
What I saw was more recent, but that's better than nothing, which is what we have now.
Do you have a link for it? I was looking for it myself. The crazy thing is, even from 2005 Iredell commuting is up there with Gaston and Cabarrus.

Last edited by adavi215; 01-22-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I just don't know for sure about Cleveland, but it could bring 2 counties to the CSA. Rutherford & Cherokee County SC, which did show up in one of NC Dave's maps, but is not involved in the regional planning. If Cleveland does not come into the MSA this time it will next time.
Cherokee, SC? That is currently part of the Upstate, SC CSA. If Charlotte does gain Cherokee as a CSA county that would be quite an interesting development. That would also mean Charlotte is growing towards Upstate, similar to how the Triangle and the Triad are growing towards each other. IMO, Rutherford is kind of out there as far as CSA. I honestly could see Cherokee though. I also see Cleveland and Lancaster remaining CSA. Although Lancaster becoming MSA wouldn't surprise me. Another development I could see happening is Charlotte and Hickory combining to form a CSA.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link for it? I was looking for it myself.
I wish I did. I ran across it while looking for something else & absent-mindedly clicked off it. I don't remember what I was looking for. I'd forgotten about it until this thread resurfaced & the topic of commuting came up.

The map was in with recent information, so might have been in the census site. I just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte