Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,820,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
anifani821 - that's cryptic :-) As an individual, say a resident of Lincoln (still using that country as an example), would I see money leaving my pocket like an increase in real estate taxes or an additional municipal tax or higher fuel taxes, etc.? Or would Lincoln's inclusion in Gaston or Charlotte MPOs mean that, for example, Hwy 321 might secure some federal funding for widening?
My guess is that if Lincoln, Cleveland & Iredell all go into the metro, 150 would be widened from Shelby to Mooresville. However, if Shelby & Cherryville opt to stay in the RPO & Lincolnton choses to join the Gaston MPO, they might widen 150 from Lincolnton to Mooresville.

Look at the link. & look at the 2 maps & the list of municipalities who may opt to be in the RPO or the MPO. The MPOs have more money & spend it differently.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-27-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
According to the newsletter, the change-up is based on growth in the urbanized areas and how they've become connected to the Charlotte urbanized area and not commuter patterns. This may or may not be enough to have Lincoln added to the MSA, but it's probably enough to at least have it added to the CSA like Iredell already is.
Iredell, Cleveland, & Lincoln, in order of population, have already been in the CSA.

Lincoln County and Iredell County will become members of the Mecklenburg–Union Metropolitan Planning Organization (MUMPO) as portions of their unincorporated areas become part of the Charlotte Urbanized Area . . .]

Lincoln County will also join the Gaston Urbanized Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (GUAMPO), along with Cleveland County, since portions of their unincorporated areas are becoming part of the Gastonia Urbanized Area. . . .

Boiling Springs, Cherryville, Lincolnton, and Shelby choose whether to join GUAMPO through an expansion of its Study Area, or else remain members of the LN RPO.The Cleveland and Iredell County municipalities, such as Casar, Waco, and Love Valley, currently not members of the Lake Norman RPO, can choose to become members of the GUAMPO or MUMPO, . . .

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-27-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,220,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Iredell, Lincoln, & Cleveland have been in the CSA.

Iredell, Cleveland, & Lincoln, in order of population, have already been in the CSA.
Yes, you are correct. I supposed that based on the growth of the urbanized area in Lincoln towards Charlotte's UA that there is a good case for both Lincoln and Iredell (which used to be part of the MSA prior to '03) to become part of the MSA. We'll see how it all shakes out next year.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes, you are correct. I supposed that based on the growth of the urbanized area in Lincoln towards Charlotte's UA that there is a good case for both Lincoln and Iredell (which used to be part of the MSA prior to '03) to become part of the MSA. We'll see how it all shakes out next year.
My suspicion is that all 3 counties go into the MSA when you look at the communities in Cleveland & Iredell who may opt into MPOs or stay in the RPO.

Soimeone, it may have been urban charlotte, posted a map in a previous thread that showed Kings Mountain swallowed by Gastonia & Shelby connected to Kings Mountain. The population of the Kings Mountain zipcode + Shelby minus the Gaston side of Kings Mountain is about 50% of the county population, give or take.

Lake Norman RPO mentions that unincorporated areas in Cleveland & Iredell have been added to the metro areas. It appears that those 2 counties are going to be added for urbanized areas. We'll find out for sure next year.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,331,755 times
I just went to the website for NC that lists all of the MPO, so far Iredell had not been added. But this could be NC slothful updates. I would say Iredell is definitely coming to the MSA.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I just went to the website for NC that lists all of the MPO, so far Iredell had not been added. But this could be NC slothful updates. I would say Iredell is definitely coming to the MSA.
The changes hit July 1st. The December issue of the Lake Norman RPO newsletter gives the date. Also, On that date its name changes & its territory shrinks, drastically. Boiling Springs, Shelby, Cherryville, & Lincolnton all opted to stay in the RPO.

ETA: The December issue: http://lakenormanrpo.org/wp-content/...cember2012.pdf

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-17-2013 at 10:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The changes hit July 1st. The December issue of the Lake Norman RPO newsletter gives the date. Also, On that date its name changes & its territory shrinks, drastically. Boiling Springs, Shelby, Cherryville, & Lincolnton all opted to stay in the RPO.

ETA: The December issue: http://lakenormanrpo.org/wp-content/...cember2012.pdf
Got you. I downloaded that pdf to my phone. I was reading in another thread about MSA delineation. It looks like Iredell, Mecklenburg, and Union counties will be the core MSA counties. Gaston, York, and Cabarrus will be outlying counties. From that I expect Cleveland and Rowan to chime in because of those counties. I wouldn't be surprised if Concord and Gastonia get their own MSA status although I don't think they should. Lincoln and Lancaster counties will be tricky. Lincoln had commuters to Iredell, Mecklenburg, and Gastonia. Lancaster workforce goes to Mecklenburg and York county. I expect them both to start CSA counties but we'll see in June.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Got you. I downloaded that pdf to my phone. I was reading in another thread about MSA delineation. It looks like Iredell, Mecklenburg, and Union counties will be the core MSA counties. Gaston, York, and Cabarrus will be outlying counties. From that I expect Cleveland and Rowan to chime in because of those counties. I wouldn't be surprised if Concord and Gastonia get their own MSA status although I don't think they should. Lincoln and Lancaster counties will be tricky. Lincoln had commuters to Iredell, Mecklenburg, and Gastonia. Lancaster workforce goes to Mecklenburg and York county. I expect them both to start CSA counties but we'll see in June.
I'm pretty sure that the metro is going to grow more than anticipated, but don't know exactly who is MSA & who is CSA when all the chips fall July 1st. I think that Gaston, Lincoln, & Cleveland will continue to lag for about the next 4 or 5 years while Gastonia & Kings Mountain continue to rebuild their economies.

I went to the Kings Mountain Connect Our Future open house tonight, in spite of the hideous weather. I hope that as many people as possible attend the open house nearest to them. People voice their opinions on here all of the time. I submitted mine at the open house.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the metro is going to grow more than anticipated, but don't know exactly who is MSA & who is CSA when all the chips fall July 1st. I think that Gaston, Lincoln, & Cleveland will continue to lag for about the next 4 or 5 years while Gastonia & Kings Mountain continue to rebuild their economies.

I went to the Kings Mountain Connect Our Future open house tonight, in spite of the hideous weather. I hope that as many people as possible attend the open house nearest to them. People voice their opinions on here all of the time. I submitted mine at the open house.
I really want to go but from what I saw it starts at 4 pm, that's what time I get off.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I really want to go but from what I saw it starts at 4 pm, that's what time I get off.
Go. It's not a meeting. They have cards on easels set up, in sequence. You register. put dots on a map of the region to show where you live, work, & play. Walk the area where the cards are set up & read them, then fill out a questionnaire. You can fill out the questionnaire online, but if you go, there are officials ready & eager to talk to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte